Legal claim against Halifax

Beamengine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been acting as a representative of one of my family members for a year dealing with eight accounts. Some of the creditors have made life very difficult by failing to recognise the authorisation and charging interestlink3.gif so that the debt increases rather than decreases.

Halifax and Sainsburys (a joint venture with Halifax) are the top two on the list for poor customer handling and Halifax have made a total muddle of their handling of this account. Firstly they totally ignored a third part full and final offer followed by no response to my offer of a repayment plan. My local CAB then sent them a repayment plan which they did not acknowledge. Instead, two months later they sent a letter stating that the plan had been terminated.

A request for clarification from the bureau was ignored. When Sainsburys asked for an updated financial statement (which reduced the payments!) a copy was sent to Halifax from the bureau. At the end of November the debtor received a call from Halifax. It claimed that he was late with his payment so they were contacted and we were told that the letter accepting the repayment plan had been returned by the bureau as an unknown client.

In December Robinson Way phoned without notice and were told to get lost. They subsequently sent a NOA letter claiming that the debt was to HBOS. A complaint to Halifax elicited the somewhat surprising response that it was their standard practice to terminate the contract and pass the debt onto a DCA who subsequently claimed not to have been informed of the repayment agreement extending to June 2012 or to have been informed that there was a representative.

Worse still, the response letter to my complaint was address to the correct address but with the wrong forename, not surprising that the bureau returned it as an unknown client!

The LBA raised all of these issues as unfair treatment and Halifax have responded asking for time to make a considered response.

What should my next steps be?

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

Halifax are appalling to deal with. My parents had a Debt Relief Order and completed the year satisfactorily, all creditors happy etc except Halifax which continued to hound them both. Then when my father passed away they still harrassed my mother even after being sent his death certificate and now eventually 18 months after his passing they may have got the message but i dont hold out much hope. they seem to ignore what suits them, i found them to be cold and completely unapproachable in my dealings with them, worse people i have dealt with and that includes Debt collection firms.

Good luck with this and hope someone pops on with the advice you need.

Thank you 42man but I have already read that and understand the relevance of CCA 1974 section 140a.

Unfortunately I have discovered that I can't use a POA to allow me an audience at court. This means that the claim will have to be made by the debtor at at time when the whole purpose of me acting as representative is to avoid undue stress.

I have also realised that a claim is unlikely to succeed unless the contract is unenforceable and this could result in a counterclaim resulting in a CCJ which is the exact opposite of my intentions!

POA ? It is probably quite obvious.. but can you let me know what it means, please.

So, where you at the moment with this? Waiting on a response from the LBA ? Did HBoS specify a time they would respond with their "considered response" ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

POA = Power of Attorney CB

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry, Power of Attorney, I must get back into the habit of spelling out the abbreviations.

I gave HBOS 21 days and received an immediate response pointing out that I had referred to them as RBOS rather than BOS (it was as the time of the bonus row so I can only plead fallibility). I had expected a further response but on checking their response that was another mistake on my part.

To further add to my confusion the letter stated that they were part of the Lloyds Banking Group plc (correct) and Halifax Bank of Scotland plc (not according to Companies House who list them as HBOS plc). Raymond Way gave the creditor as "HBOS" whereas is should have been Halifax or BOS as the Consumer Credit Licence for BOS includes Halifax and HBOS Credit Card as trading names but not HBOS which is used by another HBOS company dealing with insurance (I think).

POA = Power of Attorney CB

Andy

Of course :lol: Thanks Andy

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry, Power of Attorney, I must get back into the habit of spelling out the abbreviations.

I gave HBOS 21 days and received an immediate response pointing out that I had referred to them as RBOS rather than BOS (it was as the time of the bonus row so I can only plead fallibility). I had expected a further response but on checking their response that was another mistake on my part.

To further add to my confusion the letter stated that they were part of the Lloyds Banking Group plc (correct) and Halifax Bank of Scotland plc (not according to Companies House who list them as HBOS plc). Raymond Way gave the creditor as "HBOS" whereas is should have been Halifax or BOS as the Consumer Credit Licence for BOS includes Halifax and HBOS Credit Card as trading names but not HBOS which is used by another HBOS company dealing with insurance (I think).

Aha.. right.. I think I have seen another claim where someone is having problems deciding on who, exactly to issue the claim against. They really gave themselves some breathing space with the merger didnt they?

I will try and find a definitive answer in respect of this question.

BCOBS