Intrasigence by Shrewsbury and Atcham Council regarding blind parking attendant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Perhaps this issue has been addressed before and, if so, I'd appreciate being directed to the relevant thread. Failing that, does anyone know how we should proceed about the following;-

My partner decided to honour the town of Shrewsbury with her custom the other day and was rewarded with a parking ticket, despite paying the charge and displaying the ticket in her widnscreen. She was naturally surprised the get the ticket - the only thing we can think is that it wasn't displayed within a nano-micron of where it was supposed to be but it was clearly visibile just below the tax disc. A quite abrupt notice arrived saying she had to pay thirty quid within seven days or it would be doubled. Standard extortion tactics, I know.

She has obviously tried to appeal against this but has had a letter back saying:

'I have noted the comments....regarding the above Excess Charge.

Photographs of your vehicle taken at the time the Charge was issued show there to be no valid pay and display ticket next to your tax disc at the time of issue.'

This is rubbish. We are asking to see the photographs (plural, we note - how many do they think they need? Are they planning a calendar?) and questioning the lawfullness of such an attitude when the ticket was clearly on display, albeit a few centimetres from where it was 'supposed' to be.

The whole business of being expected to pay for the privilege of bringing your custom to a town or city stinks in my opinion. OK, some places will refund if you spend enough in certain stores and that's fine. I don't think that's the case in Shrewsbury, but I may be wrong. However, the point remains that she has paid the fee, displayed the ticket and still been fined. Of course, there's now only a couple of days to pay up before the fine is doubled up to sixty quid so what would you do, Folks. Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do and what was the outcome?

God, I hate these slimebags.

When asking for the photo, ensure you are specific in what you ask for and also add that all photographs must display the exiff data.

It has been known for Parking authorities to doctor photographs in order to try and back up thier case.

This was well aired in the media abotu 12 months ago.

Dont be fobbed off by them offering you to view them, you want them sending to you and also ask for a copy of the note book entries relating to this, they do not like sending them out but you are entitled to them.

I love the smell of banks coughing up refunds first thing in the morning.

HSBC, they tried they failed, they coughed up in full

To all the others beware i am heading your way next.

When asking for the photo, ensure you are specific in what you ask for and also add that all photographs must display the exiff data.

It has been known for Parking authorities to doctor photographs in order to try and back up thier case.

This was well aired in the media abotu 12 months ago.

Dont be fobbed off by them offering you to view them, you want them sending to you and also ask for a copy of the note book entries relating to this, they do not like sending them out but you are entitled to them.

Britain, UK news from The Times and The Sunday Times - Times Online

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought this might cheer someone's Sunday morning up:-

We have had the photo, which is useless - light flare right in the spot where the ticket was, and a very high-horsey, patronising letter telling us what bad people we are and that the photo doesn't show the ticket. Anyway, that's ongoing, but in the meantime, I wrote to several local papers about this debacle and had a letter back from one of them saying '...Congratulations! We are delighted...your recent readers letter has won our Letter of the Week prize....' The prize is a Townsend Medalist Ball Point Pen which is apparently worth £60. Now, whether it is or isn't, the information will suffice to send along with a purposely bought 'Thank You' card to Mr Jones and his department telling them that because of their arrogant and possibly unlawful behaviour, their incompetent, unprofessional bungling and their appalling treatment of a law-abiding citizen, we have got a sixty quid pen for half price. Oh, and we'll be writing the card with the pen and telling them so.

Well if they have rejected the appeal, then press on and request all the info as above.

If you have stated before receopt of the photograph where you placed the ticket, and they have taken the photo with this flare effect then they canno tprove there wasnt a ticket there.

If it is a digital file (which i assuem iot was) a little bit of editing with a photo software package may well reveal what is behind the flare.

As long as you have copies of both files then they cannot accuse anyone of doctoring the photo, you are mereley makign adjustments to show the photo in the best light so to speak.

I'm mor ethan happy to have a go at this and provice a section 9 statement to that effect free of charge.

I do loath the arogance of soem of these parking empires, so mor ehtan happy to take any opportunity to give them a hard time.

I love the smell of banks coughing up refunds early in the morning

Guest ian cognito

What a load of ****, send them a copy of the ticket and a letter telling them to sod off, this is some poor buggers council tax they're spending!!!!!! What are they gonna do when you turn up at court with the ticket? OK so you could have got it off someone else but they've gotta prove it!

Do you still have the ticket in question? Simply photo copying it and sending in the copy with a cover letter stating Sod off you money grabbing gits would probably put an end to it! ;-)

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

Do you still have the ticket in question? Simply photo copying it and sending in the copy with a cover letter stating Sod off you money grabbing gits would probably put an end to it! ;-)

It might be an idea to put across that sentiment in a slightly more subtle manner;)

Hi Rob,

or words to that effect eh?? :-D

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

Had a letter from a councillor in Shrewsbury asking me if I'd like to attend a meeting and put my point forward. This as a result of the letters I sent to local papers. Sadly, I don't think I can get there because of work but I did phone him last night and he was in agreement with my points, particularly about the bad publicity for the town. Will tryand geto the meeting but it's looking doubtful

Guest ian cognito

Meeting to discuss a parking ticket? Councils have meetings to discuss Plainning Applications, Masterplans, Education, Health, Waste disposal and Recycling - Not ******* parking tickets!!!!!!

I agree. If a council meeting had been convened just to discuss my partner's parking ticket it would have been somewhat bizarre. This is, however, a regular meeting to which a particular councillor, having read my letter in the local paper, has invited me, concerned as he is about the possibility of bungling ineptitude or downright corruption within a certain section and the effect that such adverse publicity as such behaviour has generated might have on the image and prosperity of the town. After all, the issue is not that we would object to paying a fine were it lawfully imposed for an offence committed rather than complete outrage at being branded liars and cheats by, at best, their own incompetence and, at worst, fraud.

We're going for the refund. This is the letter I would dearly love to send:-

'Thank you for your letter of

I’m glad to see you can sit back and bask in the light of the thought that you consider the matter closed because, believe me, I do not. I am not the sort of person who will meekly sit back and take this kind of boorish, ignorant behaviour without letting the perpetrators know what I think about it. I do not take kindly to my, or my partner’s, character being so off-handedly blemished by such incompetent, unprofessional bungling as that to which we have been subjected by you and your team. And before you start on about personal remarks and libel I would point out that, as you and your team have effectively branded my partner and myself liars, I reckon that makes us quits.

I don’t suppose for a minute that you have taken time out to consider the effect that this sort of belligerence has on the welfare and prosperity of the town and its traders – and the attitude you’ve displayed (unlike what we’re supposed to have done with the ticket, eh?) suggests that even if you had you wouldn’t care anyway. I’m sure the Shrewsbury Business Chamber, the Tourist Information Centre, Radio Shropshire,will be elated to learn how you are contributing to their welfare, and that of the town. For instance you have already directly caused the loss of a couple of thousand pounds to the Shrewsbury economy inasmuch as we will now be taking our Christmas shopping custom to Welshpool, Chester, Oswestry, Newtown or eBay, as will our daughter and her family and anyone else who might choose so to do after hearing how you have treated us. And there will be plenty.

Perhaps you might like to invest some of the returns from this extortion in a course on people skills and customer relations for yourself and the members of your department.

Your photograph proves nothing. The ticket, which, by the way, we are still waiting for the return of from your department as it will be required as evidence in the course of the Claim I am filing with the local Court, was in the very bottom right hand corner as seen from the angle at which it was taken – a location which is very conveniently obscured by a light reflection which renders the whole thing useless and, I am sure, inadmissible in Court. As the instructions do not specify exactly where in the windscreen it should be displayed and as every one of the many previous times we have parked in Frankwell there has never been a problem my partner saw no reason to doubt that everything would be fine this time.

We are not in the habit of shirking our social responsibilities. These include paying for services and facilities where and when required and we both taken great exception to incompetents branding us liars because of their own Clousseau-style behaviour. This is not the sort of reward we expect for deigning to bring our custom into the town. I lived and worked in London for a while and this is more in line with the tactics of the brainless oafs who patrol the streets of the City of Westminster or Kensington and Chelsea rather than a quaint semi-rural town which Shrewsbury used to be before it became just another clone of every uncaring conurbation in the country.

Perhaps the ticket wasn’t displayed within a micron of where you would have liked, necessitating your minion craning his or her poor overworked neck by a millionth of an inch but the fact remains that my partner paid the required fee and placed the ticket on view in the windscreen as per the instructions. It all smacks a little of pedantry and overzealousness – the sort of thing upon which TV consumer programmes and local comment newspaper columnists thrive.

I am not alone in feeling this way about your conduct. I had a very nice letter from a leading Shrewsbury Councillor inviting me to a Council Meeting to express my views – a direct result of his reading my letter in either the Shrewsbury Chronicle or the Shropshire Star. I was not able to attend the meeting due to having to work to help recover the unlawful parking fine but I did speak to him on the phone and the consensus it that most decent, law-abiding people are in full agreement with me over this.

If there is an ounce of decency within that expensive, monstrous building please evidence it by refunding the £30 without further delay. Failure to do so will result in a Court Action being filed to recover these unlawful charges.

Please return the original ticket immediately. If you do not have it, please explain why not in writing as this will also be required at the Court stage. I should inform you that it will be brought to the Court’s attention that despite our paying the fee and displaying the ticket in the windscreen, our request for waiving of the charge was denied. You have fourteen days from receipt of this letter to comply.

.PS

By the way, you may or not be interested to know that the Shropshire Star chose my letter as their Letter of the Week, as a result of which I received a ball point pen worth £60. So thank you for that. Because of your intransigence we have got a sixty quid pen for half price – nothing when we file our claim, for which, incidentally, we will be claiming the Court Fee as well.

Oh, and this letter is being written with that pen. Nice, isn’t it?'

However, after giving it some thought I think such a diatribe, although making me feel a lot better initially, might not be looked on in a favourable light by the Court so I've come up with an abridged version to send them instead. How does this sound:-

'Thank you for your letter of

We find your attitude offhand and arrogant and, although you may consider the matter closed, we most certainly do not. We do not relish being branded cheats and liars, particularly when acting in good faith and complying with regulations.

The ticket was clearly issued and, as you cannot prove it was not displayed in the windscreen, recovery of this unlawful fine is to be pursued through the Courts and a claim will be filed fourteen days from your receipt of this letter if you have not refunded the thirty pounds in full by that time.

Your photograph proves nothing as the ticket is obscured by a light flare. Please feel free to present it as evidence at Court.

We will also point out to the Court that it would be very odd to purchase the ticket and then not display it.

Please return the original parking ticket which we sent to you as evidence that this penalty was incorrectly issued. We have a photocopy of the original ticket which will be shown as evidence to the Court should you fail to comply with this request.

Please make your cheque payable to ***** ***** at the address above.

You have fourteen days from receipt of this hand delivered letter. No further warning will be issued.'

No problem with hand delivery. I'm a self-employed courier. Ballcocks to them....

• 3 weeks later...