style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently live in the USA and while I have done so the Student Loans Company have sent letters to me here without any problem. Despite them not taking into account the extra time mail takes to get here, I've not had too much of a problem with them, until now.

The year before last the SLC 'didn't receive' my deferment request in the post but they sent a letter making me aware that deferment hadn't been made, so I faxed it to them and it was sorted out (though not without some of their special fees).

Last year I made the deferment request again, this time by registered mail and never heard anything back from them, so I assumed that everything was OK, if I thought about it. Now I receive a letter from the Student Loans Company saying I owe them nearly £700 as I had not made any payments to them over the last year. I have just received another letter from Smith Lawson & Company now demanding just over £800! I should also state that these last two letters have been forwarded on from my parents home back in the UK, they weren't posted directly to me like the previous correspondence.

So why the hell has my address on file changed?

Why the hell is the amount they want increasing exponentially?

Why the hell did the not get my deferment again?

And where is my deferment form for this year?

Those questions are kind of rhetorical, as I've read all the posts on this thread and realise how devious these guys are. Part of me now wonders if they changed my address to suit their needs, rather than it being a mistake. Changing it will have taken a deliberate action though.

I'll be calling them in the morning. Not sure what I'm going to say, I suppose I'll explain what has happened from my point of view and see what the reaction is. Assuming I wont get anywhere at first, I'll ask for the complaints department. If anyone has anything specific you think I should say, then please let me know, I'll be happy to call them again.

Also, has anyone ever had the SLC call them from Leeds? Evidently they called my parents home a little while ago from a Leeds number (and with a Leeds accent). Do they have regional offices? A new one for me and they never said what they wanted nor did they express it as being urgent or I should contact them. I think from now on it is I who needs to keep tabs on them and my account with them, rather than it being the other way around.

I'd love to be all guns blazing but I feel I'm at a slight disadvantage being over here in the US. Obviously I can't go to court and mail costs more and takes longer to get to the UK, but if I can get out of the charges on phone calls and letters alone, that would be just fine!

Thanks for your time in reading this and any advice would be much appreciated.

The rule now, as proved by your experience, is never to send them anything which isn't signed for.

Finding out why they have changed your address, might be an idea to CCA and SAR them.

State that the account is now in dispute.

I doubt you'll get anywhere on the phone to them, most people rarely do, so a written complaint, perhaps to the executives (listed on the website).

Sorry if this is disjoinhted -screaming three year old!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks