Problem with Argos Sofas/Recliners...Help Please

Daftbat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a problem with Argos.

I purchased two sofas with recliners in Jan 10. Since then 2 of the four recliners have been repaired - the wire has snapped. I have been advised by two repairers who sorted out the problem on separate occassions that the problem has been caused by the ball end of the wire has been glued in to place for quickness rather than being inserted in to the socket properly. because the ball cannot swivel it has caused the wire to snap after a decent amount of use.

After the second repair the guy from Castlan told me that if it shjould happen again to another recliner then I should report it as a manufacturers fault and get the repair done free of charge.

Today - you guessed it - the third wire has gone and I tried to get Argos to understand my point. All they say is that I need an independent report which I want Castlan to do - however Argos have not so far supplied me with the number - the first guy has said that they don't have it. This I find strange since after the last problem I was advised that Homeserve had now been taken over by Castlan? it was my understanding that Homeserve were previously the sort of "Inhouse" company used by Argos for any repairs for their products.

I am waiting for a call back from the upholstery section - apparently this takes up to 24 hours to happen!!!!

I am obviously not happy - I dont think its unreasonable for me to assume that a sofa should last far more than 2 years and lets not forget that the first repair was only just after 12 months of use. The second was after 18 months. Surely sofas last for years - my last suite was with me for 10 years.

Can you suggest anything to help?

Many thanks in anticipation

The first step is to get the requested independent report to show it is in fact an inherent fault, I can't unfortunately find a company called Castlan nor know of them. It might be worth either awaiting for the callback and possible seeing if Homeserve who don't seem to be related to HRG take a look (or another independent furniture repairer).

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Hi daft

Welcome to CAG

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, all the previous repairs you've had, how you've been let down and what you want them to do. If the fault is visible, take some pics and send them too.

Send it to:-

Raye Summers, Managing Director

[email protected]

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Raye Summers iirc works in the MD office but is not the MD. This is currently being filled by the CEO of HRG Terry Duddy until John Walden starts later this month.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

• 3 weeks later...

Raye Summers will at best pass it on to someone else, but Argos are professional pass-the-parcel experts and it's only worth writing to any of them in order to prove at a later date to a court how bad a company they are.

As always with Argos, the best advice is not to buy anything from them in the first place.

In knowledge lies wisdom

Mo - not even a bar-stool lawyer, but I'll help where I can...