T-Mobile - Faulty handset replaced, twice. On Third, Faulty handset !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a problem with my t mobile phone and would like to know where I stand.

I have a 24 month contract of which I am 20 months in I think, My Nokia C7 went faulty (luckly) on the last day of warrenty and I was sent a replacement in the post (next day) due to my continued illness and I am unable to get to a store. The replacement handset (refurbised apparently) was faulty on receipt with having a large amount of dust behind the glass face. Also the green call button did not light up,.... I was sick of dealing with t mobile at this point so tried to live with this. A few weeks later this phone started to do the same as my first phone, Which is dropping calls, calls losing volume and the person on the other end saying I sound like I am in a different room to the phone.

I called t mobile and they sent yet another replacement from their refurbised warehouse, I received this phone which is my current phone. On first impressions the phone was fine, until I started to make calls, First off this handset has a very very low volume on the speaker to the point it sounds as though the person on the other end is wispering and you can not hear them.... YES the volume is turned up ! :)

The handset has also developed the same problem of me sounding like I am in a different room and breaking up.

I called t mobile and told them that this handset is also faulty and said I would not accept the same handset again, after the 3rd I think that is reasonable.

T mobile have offered a couple of handsets, but in my opinion all these handsets are inferior to what I have and chose a year ago. To give you an idea, I have been offered a#

Nokia C3-01.

Nokia 700 ?

HTC Wildfire

Galaxy Ace

Ive been offered the Galaxy II but at a cost of £170 to me !

Now, I have done basic resarch into these handsets and they all have pretty bad reports on them.

I have asked for either iphone 4s or galaxy II... I have even offered to pay extra line rental, but this has been outright refused.

This has been going on now since December. I have had limited use of my phone, as I can rarely hear phone calls and have to redial or text my home phone number to call me on that.

T mobile have refused to issue any credit for loss of service as they say ive been able to use the service. They also say they are not responsible for the handset, and they can refer me to the manufactur.

I have said, I feel I should be able to cancel the contract on the basis that they can not provide me a working handset of my choice... by this I mean something that is acceptable to me, being I have just under a year left on my contract... I feel I am being limited - forced if you like into taking either a faulty range or lower end handset and just like it.

My arguement is that the handset forms an integral part of the contract, if I had not been given that handset I would not have chosen the contract. No phone to use their sim in = no contract as you can not use it ? not fit for purpose ??

Can anybody advise where I stand on this ?

Many thanks

If you need clarification on anything please feel free to ask :)

Your handset does not form an integral part of your contract. It is provided as an inducement to agree to contract, but your contract itself is for airtime/service. A little like getting a free computer with an home internet contract. If your computer gets a fault it does not mean that your home internet contract is void.

It sounds like T-Mobile have made a fairly decent compromise. They've recognised that you are frustrated with your phone and have offered some alternatives. Where your description shoots itself in the foot is where you explain how you are unhappy with the situation and that TMobile should offer you something suitable, then go on to suggest that an iPhone 4s would be suitable. I'm sorry, but that simply is not realistic,the C7 being at least half the cost of a 4s.

My suggestion is that you take one of the options the have suggested. I'd personally be tempted to go for the Galaxy Ace. The camera is only 5MP (as opposed to the C7's 8MP - but then again having more MP is not everything, it's more about the lens quality). The Ace has a bit more RAM and 800MHz CPU (compared to the C7's 680MHz). Not too shabby!

Your handset does not form an integral part of your contract. It is provided as an inducement to agree to contract, but your contract itself is for airtime/service. A little like getting a free computer with an home internet contract. If your computer gets a fault it does not mean that your home internet contract is void.

It sounds like T-Mobile have made a fairly decent compromise. They've recognised that you are frustrated with your phone and have offered some alternatives. Where your description shoots itself in the foot is where you explain how you are unhappy with the situation and that TMobile should offer you something suitable, then go on to suggest that an iPhone 4s would be suitable. I'm sorry, but that simply is not realistic,the C7 being at least half the cost of a 4s.

My suggestion is that you take one of the options the have suggested. I'd personally be tempted to go for the Galaxy Ace. The camera is only 5MP (as opposed to the C7's 8MP - but then again having more MP is not everything, it's more about the lens quality). The Ace has a bit more RAM and 800MHz CPU (compared to the C7's 680MHz). Not too shabby!

Does the ace have built in free sat nav ? is it a music phone ? Also, the Ace is available for £15pm on contract... so, I am expected to pay £20 more p/m for a phone I do not even want !! Fair ? hardly

I stand by my point that I believe the phone is an integral part of the contract, as in any case it is not FREE as you put it. You pay for the cost of the phone within the contract, hence - more expensive phone = higher contract cost p/m. T mobile have agree to both these points already.

My frustration is t-mobile are offering handsets I would never ever choose should I have been looking for a different contract - I would not have taken any of them had that have been all that was available at the time, which in fact was the case of me waiting for the Nokia C7. I was looking for a few months but did not like the handsets available, I ended up with chosing between the N8 and C7, choosing the C7 in the end.

I do not believe the phone cost to be relevent, being that I have offered to increase my contract monthly cost to compenate for a more expensive phone. So I appreaciate the phones cost is not the same, but currently paying £35 pm (£105 per month in total for my 3 lines) I feel that they could offer me something better.

Afterall, if I were a new customer they would gladly give me the phone free for a contract...... yet, I am an existing customer who has been messed around for three months with faulty phones that look like have been reconditioned by a blind man !

:)

You could try telling them what the essential/important functions on your phone are (to you) and ask them what they suggest

You might find that a blind person would notice that they had made a pigs ear of the repair - it was probably done by someone who just couldn't be asked to do a good job (or didn't have the time to)

Have you contacted the head of the Orange - T-Mobile group? [email protected]

Let him know what you would accept as a reasonable compromise. Personally, I'd ask for release of my minimum term so I could upgrade early, OR refund of £xx (whatever you feel fair for your old phone... check ebay etc for a price) for the old mobile so you can source your own replacement.

Let us know how he replies :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

if that email bounces use [email protected] ;)

It will get handled by the exec team though but as handset is not integral to the contract I would suggest you will hit a brick wall:cell: - and for the record your line rental is not relative to the handset as such - your minutes etc are what you pay for so the 15 per month contract for the ace as an example will probably be for less minutes or texts or data or all 3 - but good luck let us know how you get on :)

Regards

Pasetos