• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Pollyparrot - Halifax strikes again - Pet insurance

pollyparrot.1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I read the article in today's Daily Mail (who says it doesn't pay to be a Mail reader!?) and now expect a letter from Halifax/BDML will arrive next month. My wife and I have a Border Collie, 2 yrs 4 mths old, who at 8 months started having seizures. We have our insurance with Halifax, taken out in April 2010 and renewed last April and I made sure before I took out any cover, that it was continuation of condition cover (we also have an older Lab with arthritis and know how valuable continuation cover is). It is only for £1000pa and just about covers the cost of the epilepsy meds for the Border Collie. Given that his lifespan is going to be 14-16 years, we will have a potential bill of £12-14K coming over the years (at current medication costs) just for his epilepsy although that doesn't take into account 4 monthly blood tests which are currently three quarters paid for by one of the pharmaceutical companies as part of a trial so that bill will rise when the trial ends.

The article wasn't good reading but thankfully it seems, in the form of this website, that there is help out there and support from others in the same boat. Without the article in the Mail, we would have shrugged and probably taken out another policy elswhere at great cost while having to pay out for Max's epilepsy meds. To be honest, I only took out the policy for the public liability cover in case he was involved in an accident, as BCs are normally a hardy breed except the epilepsy.

This is from another Halifax thread, if you would like to contact our admin with your details as below the address is..

[email protected] ( no spaces) :)

We think that you are being treated very unfairly - and more to the point we think that your insurer is acting in breach of contract.

There are already two people who are preparing to take a county court action against Halifax. If you would like to do the same, we would be very happy to help you.

I received your email message to our admin address and I responded. If you would like to let us have a phone number to our admin email address, we can chat with you about how we propose to go ahead

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Waiting to receive your email.

We are also interested in the 20% expenses excess. Have you been faced with this? Can you tell us when it was introduced into you policy - or was it always part of the contract?

Please have a look at this letter which is being sent by one of the Halifax victims:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?336842-Halifax-Pet-Insurance&p=3710245&viewfull=1#post3710245

The letter sums up the basis of the legal situation. Take time to understand the issues which are being raised and the points which are being made. They aren't complicated.

You should consider sending a letter based upon this to your insurer and also make sure that you send a similar letter of complain to Trading Standards, the OFT and the FSA. These regulatory authorities will do very little about it (you may get an acknowledgement if you are lucky) but at leat you will get the complaint on file and it will add to pressure to the authorities to get up and do their job for once.

Today I sent a letter to Halifax (BDML) to register a complaint after phoning them and they confirmed that after 5th April, I would be without insurance cover. They refused to give me an address for Halifax and told me that Halifax were not dealing directly with customers as BDML had been told to deal with complaints. The letter was sent Next Day and will be with them by 1300 tomorrow. I also sent off a complaint with a copy of the letter to the FSA. Somerset CC Trading Standards and the OFT were sent emails with the same complaint and both times I got the auto reply telling me that complaints should now go to Consumer Direct (it won't let me post the web address).

I also sent an enquiry to BBC 'Inside Out West' to see if they would have an interest and will post details if they take it up. Incidentally I believe all BBC regions have an 'Inside Out' programme so it might be worth everyone emailing and telling their region that other regions are affected and that BBC IOWest has been specifically informed as I've seen items on the programme before that have originally been national problems but tailored for the Westcountry.

Letter to Halifax/BDML............

Re: Pet insurance policy number HBOXXXXXXX/XXX

Dear Sir or Madam

Further to a telephone call of 6th February 2012, during which one of your customer service agents informed me that you are discontinuing the Halifax pet insurance policy as numbered above, I am writing this letter as my formal complaint and to inform you that I reject your discontinuation of this product.

Your conduct in abandoning the lifelong cover, which I have had with you for 2 years, is not only a breach of your FSA obligation to treat customers fairly but it is also a breach of contract. A contract into which I entered as the customer, in the belief that it would be honoured, as long as I met my obligations in terms of payment of premiums and medical history disclosure.

The terms in your contract that entitle you to terminate the policy are being operated contrary to the requirements of good faith and in a way that is detrimental to me, and are therefore invalid under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Breach of Financial Services Authority Regulations

The FSA Handbook, which regulates your activities, contains as one of its binding principles, a rule that requires you, as a regulated firm, to treat your customers fairly and to have regard to them when making decisions. Not only is this a statutory duty, it is also implied in the insurance contract and forms one of the terms and conditions that exist between us.

Breach of Contract

At the outset of my lifetime care insurance policy with you, there was an implied term that you would provide cover for any conditions that came into existence after the initial commencement of the policy. As you fully realise, I will be unable to seek new cover with any other insurer for pre-existing conditions if you do not renew my policy.

You or your underwriters, for your own economic reasons, have made a unilateral decision to terminate your program of lifelong cover and this leaves me in a position where I am unable to insure my dog Max and am faced with the prospect of being unable to pay for medication required to control his epilepsy. This is despite the reasonable expectation that you created in me with your marketing of the product and which persuaded me to enter into a contract with you.

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999

The UTCCR state that when there is a non-negotiated standard-form contract, and a term in that contract is operated contrary to the requirements of good faith to the detriment of the consumer, then that term is unenforceable.

For the reasons above I reject your termination of the insurance cover and I am writing to inform you that I am fully prepared to continue the insurance cover on the same terms as before.

I should point out to you that I am not the slightest bit interested in the fact that your underwriters may have changed their minds about providing the insurance policy as that is your issue. My concern is merely with your contractual obligations towards me.

I require an immediate response to this letter and although I am fully aware that there are many thousands of your customers who are facing exactly the same kind of injustice at your hands, I am not prepared to wait months for a reply. You should understand that if you have not provided a satisfactory response within the next 7 days I will be forced to commence legal proceedings via the County Court either to enforce your contractual obligations or to seek compensation to provide for lifetime care for my dog.

Any advice you may make regarding an approach to the Financial Services Ombudsman will not suffice in this case. Taking my case to the County Court is the primary course of action open to me and I advise you to forward this letter to your legal representatives if you are not prepared to meet my requests.

Finally, please understand that I consider there to be a public interest in this issue and I hereby give notice that should this matter not be concluded to my complete satisfaction, I will not be involved in any duty of confidentiality towards you, nor will I become involved in any “without prejudice” discussions on this matter.

You should also be aware that I am sending copies of this letter as part of a complaint to Trading Standards, the Office of Fair Trading and the Financial Services Authority.

In the event that I do not hear from you within the specified 7 days from receipt of this letter, copies will also be forwarded to various newspaper consumer pages, both local and national, and also to the editor of BBC Watchdog.

Yours faithfully,

Next stop will be the Halifax directly once I've done some digging on the person in the hot seat.

Incidentally, I found this on the Halifax's own website, it's laughable! "Halifax is withdrawing from the pet insurance market and therefore Halifax Pet Insurance will no longer be available to new customers. Halifax has not taken this decision lightly and a lot of consideration has been given to how this can be done with as little impact to customers as possible.

Edited by pollyparrot.1

Well done but let me say that Halifax are the responsible party here. You entered into the contract with you and it is they who must be held to account. They will do what they can to dodge responsibility but if it comes to court action it is they who will be the defendant in the action.

By persuading you to complain to another party they have already scored a point in the game of piggy in the middle - in which the customer plays the part of the piggy

I am well aware that the Halifax is the responsible party but as yet I have no address for the 'man at the top' so as a first salvo I sent BDML a registered letter. If I have no response by next Tuesday, letter number two will go to the Halifax and I will start preparing my case against them.

Incidentally, after getting auto replies from the OFT and TS telling me to ring Consumer Direct or fill in one of their on line forms, I filled in a form and their system wouldn't let me send it. I phoned and spoke to them to be told that they can only offer advice if I want it and that they could give me the FOS number:-x, but they appear to be another taxpayer funded job creation scheme, so no joy there.

Consumer Direct apparently gave another complainant about pet insurance the advice that the insurers were within their rights and nothing could be done.

Let's face it, Consumer Direct and Consumer Focus are being disbanded soon - and who will notice the difference.

That's interesting, they didn't feel the need to tell me. It begs the question why Halifax apparently settled with Mikbandit? Unless there was more to his story than just them not renewing.

'Dogs Today' magazine is planning an article soon, I'll post here whe I find out it's being published.

Edit - my wife has just told me that she's received an email from another insurer with a quote (not covering the existing illness) and it's coming out at £22 per month. As I said the other day Bankfodder, other insurers will now load the premium regardless of the fact that Max's epilepsy will be excluded. It's what they do. You asked how I knew that and there's the proof as thats an increase from now of about 125%.

Edited by pollyparrot.1
New insurance quote through

• 4 weeks later...
That's interesting, they didn't feel the need to tell me. It begs the question why Halifax apparently settled with Mikbandit? Unless there was more to his story than just them not renewing.

'Dogs Today' magazine is planning an article soon, I'll post here whe I find out it's being published.

Edit - my wife has just told me that she's received an email from another insurer with a quote (not covering the existing illness) and it's coming out at £22 per month. As I said the other day Bankfodder, other insurers will now load the premium regardless of the fact that Max's epilepsy will be excluded. It's what they do. You asked how I knew that and there's the proof as thats an increase from now of about 125%.

Hi pollyparrot. My case was dead straightforward. a massive breach of trust just like everyone on here who was misled. I was one of the first affected in sept and went in like a ton of bricks armed with archived internet screenshots of thie lifetime promise. i called to see the directors of bdml, and lobied hard. i am not entirely happy with my settlement, but on balance felt at the time it was the best i would get, as the story had only just broken. in fact the lloyds policies were still being sold then, and the complaints manager would not confirm or deny the situation regarding the lloyds policies. although here stance made it obvious.

the complaints dept in newport seem to be make ex gratia offers quite erratically. some people get, whilst others don't.