broadbandfodder

Advice ref Welcome Credit Agreement & arrears

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2722 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice regarding my agreement with Welcome.

I bought my vehicle with them in March 2008 and I kinda was aware of Welcome prior to purchase, but as with many due to circumstances I needed a car and took finance through them. To be honest for Welcome my agreement wasnt as bad as many who used them (so been told by many and the actual salesmen in garage at the time.)

Since the agreement has been taken out, 2 payment has been missed but I paid up the arrears. But obviously Welcome as usual charged me a £12 charge and I think on one occassion a charge for a letter and a call by a branch manager to my home.

The car agreement is due to end April this year and I must admit I have not approached Welcome as yet as to what my balance is outstanding. I estimate around the £500 mark outstanding. The car is on a 48 month Hire Purchase agreement.

Last month I lost my job and have been struggling paying the £40 per week (I only receive £70 per week) ... purely by beg, stealing and borrowing from family etc to pay the amount, as I am desperately seeking work (and will no doubt find very soon due to the nature of the work I do, lots of openings) Having spoken to the Manager on previous occassions when a payment was missed I found her rather arrogant and not very understanding at all and we have had a few crossed words regarding her attitude and threatening behaviour when dealing with me in the past.

My main issue is that I certainly don't want to lose the car due to very very little being owed on it (and I need it for the nature of my work). Very shortly I will be receiving a tax/expenses refund of approx £2000, but up until then I am struggling to meet the required payment.

Would it be unreasonable to request that Welcome assist by reducing the payment? Even half the payment would help?

I actually sent a statement of means to them via an email but it was ignored and when I followed up they said they didn't get it.. I stated that even if they reduced by half (£22.50 pw) I would settle the balance in full anyway in around 2 months.

After looking on my agreement, in theory because of the amount I have paid they could not repossess without a court order (as paid more than a 1/3 etc.. as stated on agreement) Am I also within my rights to ask to deal with someone else rather than the Manager of the branch? I found it rather annoying when my first ever missed Direct Debit and she appeared on my doorstep knocking me out of bed (I worked nights at the time) then virtually demanding payment.... I was amazed and bemused!?! This wasn't like 1 month or two months late, it was a declined Direct Debit 3 days earlier with no prior arrears at all. I must admit I wasn't to pleased and told her so.

My main concern is that they do not repossess my car as I have heard many horror stories about Welcome just turning up and taking the vehicle etc..

Sorry for long post, any advice very much appreciated

Thanks

Ged

First thing is never ever speak to the local branch manager - the branches are only there to collect money and are paid on their targets - thats why they are a pain on the phone. Welcome don't lend any more they only exist to collect money that is owed to their creditiors - mainly RBS.

You are in a very strong position here - so dont let them bully you.

Write to Welcome customer complaints department at their head office - and explain to them the position - and TELL THEM how much you can pay. If all you can afford at the moment is a £1 a month - then all you pay is a £1 a month.

In the same letter tell them to remove your telephone number from their systems as you will now only deal with them in writing, and that you do not give your permission for welcome to visit your home, and any visitor will be treated as a trespasser. Also mention that you are aware of the OFT guidlines on debt collection - and should they step out of these guidlines you shall report them to consumer direct - and the OFT.

In the library on this site you will find two letters - one for telephone harrassment - and called the door step letter - find and print off copies of both and use them to word your letter, changing it to suit your circumstances.

Also write and ask them for a copy of the latest statement - to find out how much you do owe.

When are you due to recieve that £2K? we could just ask for a settlement statement and pay off the whole balance in one go. then claim back any charges :-)

As for the car they can't touch it without a court order - if they tell you differentley - take the name of the person giving you thst information and tell them that you are going to 'update' your complaint with the OFT to include their false statement - and will report them to the Police for fraud if they continue to do so - as they know they are deliberatley misleading you for their own financial advantage.

I would - if i was you - report their previous actions to the OFT - it's important to complain about welcome - they are the [EDIT] of the earth.

Did you take out any PPI with the original agreement? if so it could be the case that they actually owe you money now :-)

Edited by ims21

The Banks lend you Credit that is created out of nothing - FACT.

Only 3% of the Money in the Uk is in the form of notes and coins - the rest is created by banks as debts - numbers on computers - nothing more.

Money should be our servant - not our master - Its Time to reform the Banking system

For more info on how banks create loans from nothing - The problems of our debt based economy - and what the solution is - look here

Further Reading and articles on our debt based economy found here

http://prosperityuk.com/

The campaign for this reform is backed by a group of economists, lawyers, engineers, former civil servants, university academics and business people as well as the public.

Hi and thank you for your most helpful response.

Ironically, I was reading your reply on my mobile while I was out and guess who called..? creepy... you guessed the local branch... i owe them nothin so I can only imagine they want to push me to pay the whole lot off as its only a little amount. I Don't know yet I haven't rang them.

Thankfully I didn't take out any kind of PPI only because I had a credit protection policy separately at that time and if I remember it was extortionate anyway. The only reason I remember is they were trying to "push" me into getting it. I didn't take the bait! ;0)

The £2k is from my tax return which has been filed from expenses and I have an cheap local accountant who always does them for me, again due to my work, I incurr lots of out of pocket expenses etc.. Unfortunately with tax refunds you can never specify a date... normally 6-8 weeks from previous experience.

I will certainly do as you haver suggested, although I can afford more than a £1, a decrease in this payment would be very helpful at this time in short finances. To be honest i wouldn't say I am the type of person who kinda knows his rights.. I kinda read a lot of post on here and other consumer sites, and have a kinda lay men's knowledge but because the Manager really just doesn't seem to care whatever I say, her attitude always gets my back up. In theory, I thought I would of been the last kinda guy to get "bullied" by this company, but hey they do pick there managers well lol... not!!!

I will get the head office address and write to them including the letters etc..

When I speak to branch (it wasn't the manager who called, one of the "lovely" admin guys.. I do mean that they ARE lovely and very easy to speak to!) I will obviously let you know what they have called for and update and I will also briefly explain I wont be dealing with them any further, but via Head Office.

Again thanks so much for the advice, if I am honest I don't feel so alone fighting against there terrible techniques :-)

PS: just out of interest, if I request a settlement figure - how long do you get to pay this, do you know?

If i recall its 28 days from them replying - but i will check it out and come back to you.

If i was you i would ignore their call. The branch won't want to come to an arrangement with you - they only exist to harrass you into paying up. They don't make loans anymore and are in default of their ppi repayments.

here is their head office address. Write to customer complaints and state that you will not deal with your local branch as they are unhelpful and break the OFT's guidlines on debt collection.

You sound switchd on so good luck.

Welcome Financial Services Ltd,

Ruddington Fields Business Park,

Mere Way,

Ruddington,

Nottingham,

NG11 6NZ

Only 3% of the Money in the Uk is in the form of notes and coins - the rest is created by banks as debts - numbers on computers - nothing more.

Money should be our servant - not our master - Its Time to reform the Banking system

For more info on how banks create loans from nothing - The problems of our debt based economy - and what the solution is - look here

The campaign for this reform is backed by a group of economists, lawyers, engineers, former civil servants, university academics and business people as well as the public.

Hi

The late payment charges, charges for phone calls etc can all be reclaimed with interest. This will also help reduce the amount you owe.

Any stuff like GAP insurance could also be claimed back.

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

ims is correct forgot to mention the interest.

You should claim it back as 8% - quote it as statutory interest.

As for the other insurances - if they were single premium insurances - claiming them back should not be a problem - except that Welcome are in default of repayments.

The fscs will cover these i believe - but not until about March time, if what i have been told is corrrect.

Thanks again for the address dadofholly ...

Well where do I start? lol a turn up for the books or what.... I spoke to my local branch (sorry I didn't read the above prior to this) and explained the situation and the complaint to a very nice admin assistant who had rang to explain that as I only owed £463 would I be in a position to clear it, which was a fair enough request. I explained obviously at this moment (even though its a small amount) I am unable to do so. Then I went onto to explain my situation and how they can help and failing that I will approach Head Office and take them out of the equation.

I was subsequently put me onto a Manager. Here we go I thought.....

Then surprisingly a very polite lady came on the line. I was firm but polite and explained that I will be reducing my weekly payment for a temporary period and explained why due to my present circumstances. And either they reduce them or I go direct to Head Office. To be honest I was rather shocked - no pressure, no attitude... she was very accommodating and if I may add actually helpful. They reduced my weekly payment to £10 per week for 3 months, she is sending me a form to request a "no home call" and my number is being removed and contact will only be made via post. I do however (which is reasonable) need to forward a copy of my Job Seekers income proofs. I was VERY shocked and I asked are you my new manager? She explained the old Manager "no longer works for the company".... MMMmmm I wonder why.. I explained I had issues with her approach and had various confrontations with her. She replied, "oh dear another one ... I worked for her and replaced her" From my new managers tone in voice I got the impression, even she didn't like her!! Well I am just glad to have atleast spoken to someone who is professional to deal with. Yeah she was firm and indicating this was only a temporary arrangement but atleast she was easier and more amicable to deal with.

I will await the form from the branch and in the meantime I will still approach Head Office and request my number removed and home calls stopped.

Again thanks so much for your advice, this reduction will help me a lot ... I can now afford a little bit more on my shopping for gods sake!! lol

And for others reading this and you have a issue with Welcome in the North East region (I wont mention the branch lol) .... It seems things have just improved at branch level ;0)

Hi

Have they frozen interest for this period of reduced payments? If not, interest will still accrue on the effective underpayments.

Also address those unlawful charges as previously mentioned.

ims

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

Thanks again for the address dadofholly ...

Well where do I start? lol a turn up for the books or what.... I spoke to my local branch (sorry I didn't read the above prior to this) and explained the situation and the complaint to a very nice admin assistant who had rang to explain that as I only owed £463 would I be in a position to clear it, which was a fair enough request. I explained obviously at this moment (even though its a small amount) I am unable to do so. Then I went onto to explain my situation and how they can help and failing that I will approach Head Office and take them out of the equation.

I was subsequently put me onto a Manager. Here we go I thought.....

Then surprisingly a very polite lady came on the line. I was firm but polite and explained that I will be reducing my weekly payment for a temporary period and explained why due to my present circumstances. And either they reduce them or I go direct to Head Office. To be honest I was rather shocked - no pressure, no attitude... she was very accommodating and if I may add actually helpful. They reduced my weekly payment to £10 per week for 3 months, she is sending me a form to request a "no home call" and my number is being removed and contact will only be made via post. I do however (which is reasonable) need to forward a copy of my Job Seekers income proofs. I was VERY shocked and I asked are you my new manager? She explained the old Manager "no longer works for the company".... MMMmmm I wonder why.. I explained I had issues with her approach and had various confrontations with her. She replied, "oh dear another one ... I worked for her and replaced her" From my new managers tone in voice I got the impression, even she didn't like her!! Well I am just glad to have atleast spoken to someone who is professional to deal with. Yeah she was firm and indicating this was only a temporary arrangement but atleast she was easier and more amicable to deal with.

I will await the form from the branch and in the meantime I will still approach Head Office and request my number removed and home calls stopped.

Again thanks so much for your advice, this reduction will help me a lot ... I can now afford a little bit more on my shopping for gods sake!! lol

And for others reading this and you have a issue with Welcome in the North East region (I wont mention the branch lol) .... It seems things have just improved at branch level ;0)

Sounds more promising - but it helps when you are in a strong position as you are.

Maybe worth taking dbabylons idea and giving it a go - if not yet now then when your rebate comes through. And ims is correct about the interest - but that may be something you have to bite the bullet on. - but again can try and get it reduced in a full and final settlement.

One word of warning - dont let them suggest a re-write of the agreement - an old welcome trick. Make sure that you and they understand that the new arrangement is based on the current agreement only.

So let me get this right ... I can reclaim the charges for lates payments/ letters / home calls etc..?? As far as i know there hasn't been that many but i have requested a statement of account so I will soon find out.

Thanks again

So let me get this right ... I can reclaim the charges for lates payments/ letters / home calls etc..?? As far as i know there hasn't been that many but i have requested a statement of account so I will soon find out.

Thanks again

Correct and plus interest.

As you have a relatively small amount outstanding even a small amount of refund would help.

ims

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions