Tax credits investigating living together - please help

folle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi honeybee, i think this forum is brilliant and all the advice that people got, it kept me sane.

my position now is i was advised to appeal against what happened to me and wish i had, but at the time was to ill, and just wanted it dealt with. i ended up paying a lump sum back and the rest in instalments.

i would advise anyone going through this , to go to cab and stay strong as it is not worth having your life ruined by it.

folle xx

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi thanks to everyone.. i thought i would update everyone.. yes been a hard couple of years and came through it.. the cab wanted me to fight my case.. but i had not got the strength.. just wanted it over.. but anyone going through this.. chin up and fight for your rights ..wish i had and thanks for all the help people gave me xx

hello. folle. i was recently investigated by tax credits. i received a letter back in december stating i was being investigated because they believed i was not longer single and they were right, i had been living with my partner for a good few months. i had not declared it but this was becuase there were other issues in my life and i simply 'didn't get round to it'. I nearly drove myself mad over it it, i could not sleep, eat and i was driven to distraction becuase i thought i was going to be prosecuted and go to court bla bla bla, i couldn't even bring myself to call them! I wrote to them explaining my situation, I didn't send in anything they asked for, bank statements, utility bills , mortgage stuff etc, i simply wrote explaining everything and telling them the truth. I had a letter come yesterday asking me to call them , which i did. The man I spoke to was absolutely fab, he was very approachable, did not judge me or have an attitude etc. Becuase my time span i was being investigated for was only 5 months , he has cancelled my single claim and told me to apply in joint claim and that is basically it. It's over and I have nothing further to worry about. I should have just rang them in the first place, i would have had much more peace of mind. At the end of the day I don't think they would have the capacity to go around prosecuting everyone, as there are soooo many people who must be under investigation at any one time and I am sure that the case officers just want to get their caseloads dealt with in the most efficient way possible. Please call them, don;t do what i did and wait a month for a reply ( a month that was completely spent worrying about the outcome). Ring them , explain your circumstances, they will understand. xx

• 1 month later...
hello. folle. i was recently investigated by tax credits. i received a letter back in december stating i was being investigated because they believed i was not longer single and they were right, i had been living with my partner for a good few months. i had not declared it but this was becuase there were other issues in my life and i simply 'didn't get round to it'. I nearly drove myself mad over it it, i could not sleep, eat and i was driven to distraction becuase i thought i was going to be prosecuted and go to court bla bla bla, i couldn't even bring myself to call them! I wrote to them explaining my situation, I didn't send in anything they asked for, bank statements, utility bills , mortgage stuff etc, i simply wrote explaining everything and telling them the truth. I had a letter come yesterday asking me to call them , which i did. The man I spoke to was absolutely fab, he was very approachable, did not judge me or have an attitude etc. Becuase my time span i was being investigated for was only 5 months , he has cancelled my single claim and told me to apply in joint claim and that is basically it. It's over and I have nothing further to worry about. I should have just rang them in the first place, i would have had much more peace of mind. At the end of the day I don't think they would have the capacity to go around prosecuting everyone, as there are soooo many people who must be under investigation at any one time and I am sure that the case officers just want to get their caseloads dealt with in the most efficient way possible. Please call them, don;t do what i did and wait a month for a reply ( a month that was completely spent worrying about the outcome). Ring them , explain your circumstances, they will understand. xx

I have just been investigated for similar thing! I today rang TC office and they said I've been issued with a 3k fine :( does that mean I can get further punishment ?

I have just been investigated for similar thing! I today rang TC office and they said I've been issued with a 3k fine :( does that mean I can get further punishment ?

hello, i'm not expert here but I do not believe you will get any further punishment after a fine.

Hi i'm posting here to give my experience and outcome. I was investigated for living with a person they believed to be my partner. They initially asked me to send in utility bills, mortgage statements, bank account statements, and council tax bill to prove my single claim which I did. The person they believed to be living here is a really good friend and has been for ten years, He had helped my daughter obtain a car on finance. basically as she had just turned 18 and couldn't get credit, in doing so he had to change his driving licence to my address. They had suspended my payments which caused a real financial hardship.

Upon receiving the evidence above they phoned me to say it was insufficient, in reply I said I have sent you everything you asked for, The lady I spoke to on the phone at this point was really rude and said if he is not your partner why are his bank statements, his p60, and doctors registered at your address, As you can imagine this really threw me and it made me really angry, Having believed what she had said I phoned jay and asked him about it keeping in mind that I would have known if his bank statements were coming here, He insisted none of what the lady said was true, she also asked why I wasn't claiming the 25% single person discount on council tax, I told her I had an 18yr old daughter living with me so I wasn't entitled to it.

Jay came to see me on the Friday evening with p60, bank statements, doctors letter all in hand, proving the woman had blatantly lied to me. Jay then sent all this documentation of with a covering letter. Now what they don't want you to know is they get commission on every penny they claim back so my advice to anyone who is investigated and truly are entitled to the monies claimed fight your corner do not be bullied into admitting guilt if innocent.