Economy 7 Electric Meter on the wrong time?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1945 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Last week I had a message from my answerphone from my electricity supplier (NPower) asking me to call them. I did and they person I spoke to said they think the day and night readings on my bill may be the wrong way round. They've told they'll send me a letter asking me to call them twice in one day giving readings at two different times, so they can see what rate goes up. I have a digital meter that just gives two rates, 1 and 2 and it's not clear which is day and which is night. So I just followed on the values the previous resident gave for day/night.

The meter ticks very loudly and has a clock in it, so I assume this is used to control the day/night rate. Could someone help me understand the attached photo? I assume the time is read from the gold coloured metal pointer at the bottom right (marked TIME)? And the bits of red/pink around the dial mark the switching times? So there is around 1/3 of the time on night rate and the rest is day rate? So it's showing a time just after 10 - but in the area marked as "DAY" on the dial? (WIthout the black band stripe on it)? And since it's now 22:20 (10:20pm) at night, that it is in fact the meter that has the values the wrong way round? Is that correct. It's an odd system in that I seem to have a dial for the clock and a digital meter to store the actual values.

Can anyone advise if my understanding is correct and if so where I stand with NPower about this? electric_meter.jpg

i would say the old meter on the left is no longer connected

unless you can take a pix looking upward from below?

the one on the right

rate 2 is day

rate 1 is night

if you press the grey button top left

it will cycle your through its settings

dx

tip

attach the pix as a PDF file

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as there is only one red and one black to the old timer on the left

it aint doing nowt

as for reading how its set

there are the two arms on the clock

one is set to 12:00hrs [midnight]

the other 7am

they are correct for night rate

the TIME spike

should read the current time.

as for your reading being reverse

look at the digital meter

you need to check that the rate 2 reading is given to them as the day reading

and the rate 1 is given to them as the night reading

if you look at the meter at 11:55 PM GMT

it should have rate 2 in the windows

at 00:05

it should have rate 1 in the window

dont know why the old one was not removed

but there you go.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have a rummage through the forum. We have had other people complaining that their meters have been wrongly connected so that cheap=expensive and vice versa.

I think that the suppliers have even admitted that this has happened sometimes.

I'm 99% certain that it is the meter at fault.

I've been told before that the digital display shows the rate currently being metered.

Last night when I checked it at around 10pm and an hour later at 11pm it was reading on rate 2.

At midnight it stayed on rate 2.

This morning when I left for work it was also still on rate 2.

When I got back from work at 6pm it was however reading on rate 1.

Then at around 7:10pm it clicked over (I heard it, as I left the door to the meter cupboard open) to read rate 2 again.

So it seems pretty likely that it's recording midday to 7pm as the economy 7 rate rather than midnight to 7am.

That correlates with the clock being set to the wrong time (it's 12 hours out)

and I think that may be feeding the digital display with a time signal,

since it there is a small grey wire connecting the clock with the digital display.

The problem is I've got rate 1 down as the day rate

(which it is showing for at least part of the day)

and rate 2 as the night rate.

This could of course have been spotted if the meter showed "day" and night" or "high" and "low",

but mine shows just rate 1 and 2.

It doesn't help that Npowes own website seems to be horribly confused on the matter. http://www.npower.com/Home/Electricity-and-gas/Types-of-meter/Economy7/index.htm

It says under the heading teleswitch meters

"Depending on your specific meter type, and where you live,

the day/night rates may be displayed differently on your meter.

For example, your meter may display Rate 1 (for most meters this would be the daytime peak rate)

or Rate 4 (for most meters this would be the night time off peak rate).

Some meters however may use different words such as 'Rate 2' for daytime peak rates and 'Rate 1' for night time off peak rates."

That's as clear as mud and basically says that most show rate 1 as the daytime peak right, but some show it as 2.

How the hell is the average person supposed to know which is which with advice like that?

This has also never been noticed/corrected when my NPower have read the meter either.

I'm not concerned NPower are going to demand back payment for this.

I've had bad experience several times with them before.

The first was when I switched to them (from British Gas).

I ended up being debited by both British Gas and NPower for the Gas (though not the electric)

and British Gas kept insisting they were my supplier whilst NPower insisted they had completed the switch.

I eventually had to get British Gas to check with the distributor (Transco?) who was the supplier and they confirmed it was NPower.

It then took me months to get the money back as British Gas then disputed with NPower over how much was owed because they didn't get a meter reading on the day of the switch.

Then I got a letter from them out of the blue stating that because I was not using eBilling i was not complying with the terms and conditions of my tariff

and if I didn't switch to eBilling within two weeks I'd be moved on to their "standard rate" tariff which is much more expensive.

The problem was I had all the terms and conditions I was given when I signed up and they did NOT state that I had to use eBilling.

But checking the terms for the same tariff on their website it did now state I had to use eBilling and not paper billing.

I presume they changed the terms but didn't bother to tell me.

I even sent a photocopy of the terms and conditions I had and they still disputed it saying it would have said I had to use eBilling when I signed up on their website

(which rather begs the question on how it's possible to be getting paper bills on such a tariff...). I think eventually they agreed to a £10 "good will" payment.

Then when they put the prices up in late 2010 they sent me new prices which were almost double.

When I quried this I was told I was wrong and the maximum increase was 15%.

So I had to read out the prices on the letter I was sent.

I was put on hold.

Eventually someone came back and admitted they'd sent the wrong prices for the particular tariff I was on and sent me an updated tariff (but no apology).

So I don't have a good history with NPower and I'm not looking forward to yet another battle with them.

With the prices of energy having gone up so much in the last few years,

I can ill afford to find my bills are now much higher because of this problem with my meter.

I'm also signed up to a tariff where I have to pay a penalty if I leave within 12 months.

I was even aware until yesterday when I was searching the internet about this that if you had an economy 7 meter you could still have an ordinary (single rate) tariff.

This would likely be much cheaper for me, but now I can't switch for another 10 months or so.

Very angry with NPower now.

However thank you for the various replies I had to this post here - it''s been a great help and is much appreciated.

Jon.

morning

from what you have put in the first bits

then you are correct

as for YOUR digital meter

rate 2 is day

rate 1 is night

thATS THE ONLY WAY IT CANBE CONFIGURED ITSELF

IT PUZZLES ME [opps caps] why

you need or they are using the external rate switcher,

that digital meter is more thAn capable of doing it on its own

its a mis - install when the meter was changed

someone did not know what they were doing.

i'd complain and state you want it removed as its faulty and the digital meter has its own economy 7 signal switching.

dx

and they

• 3 years later...

Trawling up this old thread but it seems to tie in with my situation.

We have a flat which we rent out and tenants have just left. I noticed the storage heaters where on (receiving current) during the day.

Confirmed that the low rate counter on the economy 7 meter was in use at 19.40 yesterday and that it looks as though the timer is about 12 hours out. It as old Sangamo timer and at 19.40 the timer was (if im reading it right) reading 06.00am.

It took photos but cant put them up as I don't have 10 posts.

I spoke to Utility Warehouse, who the tenants had as their supplier, and they asked me to forward them the images.

From memory, I think the meter was replaced in the flat about 4 years ago.

Will wait and see what happens.

Craig

Please start a new thread

You can upload

Dx

and they