Tax Credits not responding.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wrote to Working Tax Credits on the 16th January 2012 regarding the reduction in my tax credits after a short period of employment.

I had written in late December 2011, again without reply, hence my letter to them on the 14th January 2012, I also stipulated that because of the timescale already passed that I would expect them to deal with this request as a matter of urgency and let me have their findings within 7 working days of receipt of my recorded delivery letter.

Post Office track and trace tells me my letter was delivered on the 18th January 2012.

Do they have any obligation to reply within the 7 day period or do I have to wait until they are ready to reply?

I understand and appreciate that I could telephone, however, previous experiences have taught me to get everything in writing thus avoiding the He said, She said, They said scenario that can transpire from telephone conversations.

Would appreciate any help and advice on this matter. Many thanks in advance for all contributions.

Hi Steve

Write to Steve Lamey Chief executive Officer, Benefis and Credits

HMRC

Tax Credit Office

Preston

PR1 4AT

Remember to send it by recorded delivery

Regards

Gbarbm

Gbarbm

Hi Gbarbm,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Now off to compose a letter to Steve Lamey, will post it recorded delivery in the morning. Will let you know the outcome when I receive a reply,

Many thanks for your interest in my post.

Steve

No worries Steve, best of luck..... In my experience if you write to the person at the top of the tree you generally speaking get things sorted.

Kind regards

Gbarbm

Gbarbm

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this topic. I sent a recorded delivery letter dated 30.01.2012 to Mr Lamey enclosing a copy and asking for a response to my original letter, also an explanation why I had not had the courtesy of a reply, I requested a reply from Mr Lamey within seven working days.

Post Office track and trace website shows me that my letter was signed for with a name and signature at 09.13GMT on the 01.02.2012. Eight working days have now elapsed.

Do I sit tight and wait or is there another course of action I could consider? I am obviously biased but had the roles been reversed I am sure I would have been expected to have replied to their timescales without exception.

Would appreciate any helpful comments or suggestions.

Many thanks Steve

Hi

Well at least they know you've got the letter.

You could consider making a complaint to the Independant adjudicators, but they won't deal with it until all the internal complaints procedures have been exhausted. I'd give it a few more days and then write to Mr Lamey again advising him that due to the non response you will be forwarding your complaint to the Independant adjudicators (let me know if you need the address)

Gbarbm

Some info about the independent adjudicator;

The Adjudicator acts as a fair and unbiased referee looking into complaints about HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and The Insolvency Service, across the United Kingdom.

It is a free and impartial service for all.

What we can and cannot help with * How to make a complaint

We investigate and help to resolve complaints from individuals and businesses who remain unhappy about the way their affairs have been handled.

The Adjudicator cannot consider disputes about policy or matters of law.

Find out more about what we can and cannot help with * We can only consider a complaint once you have exhausted the organisation's own complaints procedure and have received a final response from them.

You must then write to us with the details of the complaint

Gbarbm

Thankyou very much Gbarbm for your two replies. I`ll give it a few more days as you suggest before writing again to Mr Lamey. As I mentioned previously and the one thing that really erks me is, had the roles been reversed would the HMRC be as tolerant with me?

Anyway, thanks again for your continued help and interest in this topic. I`ll keep you informed of any developements.

Steve

In answer to your question Steve..... I doubt it!

Anyway, as you say, give them a few more days to at least acknowledge your letter and if there's no response get in touch with the independent adjudicator.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Gbarbm

Gbarbm

Hi Gbarbm,

Thankyou very much for your last reply. Just to give you a quick update, I`ve still not received a reply from Mr Lamey. :x So I have written Mr Lamey another letter this morning with the heading COMPLAINT in bold underlined lettering.

I`ve kept it simple, giving the Post Office recorded delivery details of my last letter to him confirming delivery and requesting an explanation for his and HMRC refusal to answer my letters and for answers to questions previously posed. I`ve requested a response within seven working days otherwise I will have no alternative other than to contact the Independant Adjudicator. I have again posted it by recorded delivery.

I`ll let you know if I have any response.

Regards Steve

Hi Gbarbm,

Latest update on this thread. This morning I received a letter from Imran Patel CSSG Higher Officer at Tax Credit Office Benefits & Credits dated 22.02.2012. This person thanked me for my letter dated 17.02.2012 and stated that "My team are dealing with your enquiry", they went onto to mention that "We aim to send you a reply in the next 15 working days"

At long last an acknowledgement and hopefully a satisfactory response within the next two weeks.

I will let you know the outcome. Many thanks for your continued help and advice regarding this thread, its very much appreciated.

Steve

The problem with recorded delivery is that the letters are received at a mail opening unit not the actual office, so yes it has been received but will take time to filter through to the correct team. The letters are not actually passed to the named person on your envelope to be signed for, they are not actually signed for by anyone only confirmation is sent to the royal mail site to state that your item of post has been received.

I hope that makes sense?

Good news Steve at last; you now have some contact details. I can advise you that a higher officer is senior management level so you have got a little bit higher... (Pardon the pun) up the food chain

• Confused 1

Gbarbm

Good news Steve at last; you now have some contact details. I can advise you that a higher officer is senior management level so you have got a little bit higher... (Pardon the pun) up the food chain

Thanks very much Gbarbm for your reply.

Received a letter today from another CSSG officer. Here are the first two sentences for future reference and to help other people in a similar situation what to, and what not to, expect.

"Thankyou for your letter 17 February 2012 about your tax credits overpayment for tax year 2011-2012 and about the problems you have experienced.

We did receive your letters of the 16 and 31 January 2012. I am sorry for the delay in our investigation. We would , of course, have preferred to look at your case at a much earlier stage. Unfortunately, due to our workload over recent times, this has not been possible. In order to remain fair and impartial, we try to deal with cases in the order in which they are received. I do apologise."

They go on to mention personal details and financial amounts, I don`t agree with some of the letters contents and I will be writing back. However, it appears I now have a contact name to write to and hopefully I will be able to build up a dialogue with them until the matter has been resolved.

Thankyou very much Gbarbm for your keen help and interest in my quest. Really appreciate your information and replies.

Steve

Thankyou very much Gbarbm for your keen help and interest in my quest. Really appreciate your information and replies.

If you haven't already, you might like to enhance gbarbm's reputation. It's free :).

My best, HB

• Confused 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Steve

Really pleased that you are some way to getting things sorted. Your kind comments about me are appreciated.

Regards

Gbarbm

Without people like you then people like me would probably give up or give in to these larger organisations and just accept what they say without a fight.

The advice and information you offer makes sense and in my particular case gave me the incentive to fight my corner.

Have enhanced your reputation as per honeybee13`s post :wink:

Thanks again Steve

Awww bless yer!

Listen Steve let me tell you something, these big organisations ain't all that..... If you can read and write then you can take them on.

I've been up against a good few of the high and mighty in my time and I always say that they may be the immovable force but I'm the irresistable object.

I just hate it when ordinary folk get jerked around by these organisations who quite frankly should know better and if they spent as much time dealing with the points at issue as they do wasting time and being obstructive then things wouldn't be half as bad.

Ohhh I feel better after that rant! :-)

It only remains for me to say that if you need any further help then just post back on here

Kind regards

Gbarbm

Gbarbm