Ad posted by dealer on Auto Trader

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can help me with this please. When a dealer places an ad on Auto Trader is he legally obliged to put the correct information in the description of the vehicle being sold. If he includes information which is not relevant to the vehicle being sold, can I take this up with Trading Standards please. Thank you for any information you can offer.

I wonder if anyone can help me with this please. When a dealer places an ad on Auto Trader is he legally obliged to put the correct information in the description of the vehicle being sold. If he includes information which is not relevant to the vehicle being sold, can I take this up with Trading Standards please. Thank you for any information you can offer.

Do you have reason to doubt the voracity of the advert??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Do you have reason to doubt the voracity of the advert??

Sorry, I forgot to say that we actually bought the vehicle and have now found out that several of the items listed in the description are missing from the vehicle.

I think that you need s.13 Sale of Goods Act - goods sold by description - double check this

When a dealer places an ad on Auto Trader is he legally obliged to put the correct information in the description of the vehicle being sold.

Not only is it true because he is a trader, but this apply to anyone advertising something. Otherwise we'd all put great adverts for cars saying it is a V8 with leather interior, does 160mph in 3rd gear and 85mpg wouldn't we! :)

The trouble with autotrader, and I am not excusing wrong information, just giving some background, is that the dealer edit system that is used to create an advert automatically produces a list of features for any given car and they can sometimes be wide of the mark, and if you are not eagle eyed when placing the advert then you get into this situation - been there, done that !

Law is 100% on your side, other than something that would be glaringly obvious on inspection, i.e. it is supposed to have a leather interior and it doesn't yet you biought it anyway

What is different in the specification for the car vs the advert?

Op.. if the differences are major, such as year, mileage (50,000 when its done 53,000 doesn't count, but 50,000 if its done 70,000 DOES), also remember that in adspeak (I never made the rules) 1 former keeper equals 2 owners in total, or if they've deliberalely misrepresented the engine size or something ie MAJOR then take the car back.

If its minor such as 'airbags' in the ad and its only got 1, or 'rear headrests' and it doesn't have them that that, as a previuos poster has indicated, could be construed as a genuine mistake... although as a former dealer it will be a 'deliberate' mistake in my opinoin.

So what exactly are the differences?