Legally parked but Police say they will seize vehicle as it is an obstruction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have had a phone call from the local bobby about my van. It is fully legal, and legally parked. He has had one or two people complain it restricts vision and is causing an obstruction so has asked me to move it. He said if it is not moved he will take the chance and get it towed away. My van is a good 15 metres from this junction and legally parked. If he tows it away where do I stand? I live in a small town with no parking anywhere and this is the only suitable place for me to park it. Please help me.

He has rung me twice about moving it. He admits it is legally parked but says it causes an obstruction to the junction for people leaving a side road. I have told him there are no other suitable parking spaces, the last place I parked it someone vandalised the wing mirrors, hence me moving it to where it is now and my reluctance to move it again. The town is all terraced streets and I do not want to park it outside someones home. It is currently outside a church and the priest has complained. I have sold the van and it will be gone in a week but the police are insisting it will be towed tomorrow if I do not move it.

I wouldn't have thought they can seize it if its parked legally but bare in mind its the police and they will do what they want just for a quiet life.

Its not easy to say to much without seeing where the van is in regard to what there classing as an obstruction.

A vehicle can be towed if it is causing an obstruction. Whether it is or not, is a matter of opinion, and if the police are of the opinion that it is causing an obstruction, you can't really insist they are wrong. Can't you just put it somewhere else for the week, then the matter is finished with?

I parked it on a side street and someone smashed both mirrors and punctured a tyre. The Police weren't interested and wouldn't even give me the time of day. I moved it to the main road after this. I drove for ages around my town looking for somewhere where it would not cause a problem to any residents. it is a good 15-20 metres away from the junction. I come across lots of junctions where worse obstructions occur, it is part of motoring. The problem I have is where the hell do I put it where it will not get vandalised or a ticket? the police won't offer an alternative the bluntly said just shift it>

Can you not put in your own complaint to the police to be dealt with at a higher level than "the police" that seem to be asking you to move it? i.e. speak to the station and point out officer 1234 has suggested it is an obstruction (mentioning the many threats he is making) and you have been unable to clarify what obstruction he is referring to and can a more senior officer add some clarity.

According to the OP's first post, the police have received complaints that the parked van restricts vision and is causing an obstruction, they may have just acted on the complaints and contacted the OP, or been to see where it is and then decided that it is and contacted him.

One problem could be that a 3.5 ton van can restrict vision and cause more of an obstruction than a car and maybe that is why they consider it is causing an obstruction.

Agreed Ray which i think it is reasonable for the OP to approach the police (as suggested in post #4) and ask them to explain what the problem is. Nobody here knows what the junction is like so hard to say one way or the other to whether or not an offence is being committed. May help if the OP give us the location so we can see what we are talking about on street view.

Post 14. "Yes, I know".

Jesus Jamberson, have you been injected with a G & M serum? While I was agreeing with you that it could be towed for obstruction, from the OPs account, it dosn't seem to be causing an obstruction therefore, I can't see that they can tow it away unless it is indeed causing an obstruction. Thats why I suggest that the OP determines what the problem is by the suggestion in post #4.

Technically, any vehicle parked on the road is causing an obstruction - no one can travel over the bit it is parked on. The Police would normally only get involved if it was considered to be causing an unnecessary obstruction, or parked in a dangerous position - both of which would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Technically, any vehicle parked on the road is causing an obstruction - no one can travel over the bit it is parked on. The Police would normally only get involved if it was considered to be causing an unnecessary obstruction, or parked in a dangerous position - both of which would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Quite. as I said in a previous post, we may undersatnd better if we could see the location.

Hi

As the police officer is saying the vehicle is causing an obstruction - I would write to the Police Senior Officer equesting further clarification of this obstruction and under which act its classed as an offence. Point out that you are willing to meet a Senior Officer at the location where said vehicle is causing an obstruction and 'CC' the letter and send a copy to the Local Authority Roads Depart also asking for clarification of this.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group