Old debt, new recovery letters - HFC credit card 2007

penguin7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a HFC credit card and agreed to pay so much a month back to them until 2007 when I got married.

Also I had claimed my unfair payments from the Halifax which basically closed my account so I stopped paying HFC.

I have also moved back into the house I grew up in.

In March 2010 I got a letter from Capquest in my maiden name requesting I phoned them which I did

but said I would not pay them anything until they could prove I still owed HFC money.

They then sent me another letter stating that they were still endeavouring to obtain the required information from HFC,

ending the letter with 'We are discussing your case with HFC bank LTD personally and we hope to resolve this matter soon.'

Then in July 2010 I received a letter from Mackenzie hall who I again phoned and said the same if they could prove it I would pay it.

On the 13th Jan 2012 I received another letter from Lowell saying that they were sold my account in December 2011,

this was accompanied with a letter from HFC saying that I should pay Lowell as they are the legal owners of the debt.

On the 23rd Jan 2012 I received yet another letter from Lowell basically asking for the payment as I had not answered the first letter.

Advice on what I should do would be a great help!

My last payment to HFC would of been Sept/Oct 2007 so I am not in the 6 year thing!

Although could I plead ignorance and say that it is not me as my name has been changed?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

If the last payment made was in 2007, then you wont be statute barred until.. sometime in 2013 - 6 years from the last payment or acknowledgment of liability.

Are there any default charges on this account, or payment protection insurance, perhaps, that could be reclaimed in order to reduce any balance owed ?

Have you checked your credit reference files to see if this is still being reported on?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

your issues are compounded by the fact you have been ringing these people

NEVER EVER phone a DCA or their fake/tame solicitor

they have no legal powers to do or demand ANYTHING from you.

THey are NOT bailiffs or ANY kind of legally backed company

now

have you checked your CRA file?

does this debt show?

also knowing HFC, the card would have had compulsory PPI and many penalty charges too

so even if its still on your cra file, there is prob more they owe you

than you owe them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think it shows as an unpaid debt on Experion I can't check now as I only had it for an month trial. I can't find anything from the original debt so don't know re the ppi like you say I probably did have it but how can I prove it without the original paperwork?

Also after reading this forum I realise that I shouldn't of phoned them but thats too late now as its been and gone!

What is the likely hood of me being able to hold out until Sept/Oct 2013?

what credit card was it?

pers i'd SAR HFC

they have returned data into the early 1990's before.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

click on the black sar

dx

and they

Send a CCA request to whoever is currently chasing you for payment..... anything else is just piddling around. Enclose a postal order for the £1 fee, do not sign; just initial it.... and send by rec. delivery. Keep the receipt. Let us know what they send back (if anything).

:-)

Do I put the name they have me as which is my maiden name or do I put my married name on this! I am guessing when you say do not sign just initial you mean with a pen rather than printed from a computer.

Do I put the name they have me as which is my maiden name or do I put my married name on this! I am guessing when you say do not sign just initial you mean with a pen rather than printed from a computer.

Call yourself by the name they have on their records..... and best to initial with a pen, yes.

:-)

Edited by PriorityOne

• 4 weeks later...

28th January 2012 I sent my letter as advised above

on the 8th February 2012 which is just under 2 weeks from my letter

i got a letter from Lowell saying that they have requested a copy of my credit agreement from HFC.

They say also that they will send me the information I asked for within 12 working days but it depended on when my original lender can send it.

Then on the 17th February 2012 I got another letter from Lowell saying that HFC have let them know that they are trying to retrieve the agreement from their archive

and as soon as they have it they will send it to me.

Do I just sit and wait now? Or do I send another letter? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

I would just wait now, they have advised they are attempting to locate the document. In theory they should hold off any collection activity until it is produced. If they dont.. then let us know and we can take it from there.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

did you sar HFC?

dx

and they

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Date:

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/78. This was signed for as delivered on the **DATE**

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE** (12+2 working days after you made the initial request).

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document. In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore, you are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before you/your client enters into a default situation.

This limit has expired.

As you are no doubt aware section 78(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

Therefore this account has become currently unenforceable at law.

As you have failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested. You will also be aware of the CPUTR 2008 and the OFT's guidelines on debt collectionlink3.gif which state under the title Deceptive and/or unfair methods - Examples of unfair practices are as follows - 2.8

(i) - 'Failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued'

(k) - 'Not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonable queried or disputed debt'

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 21 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I look forward to hearing from you. This should be in writing, I have no wish to correspond by telephone.

Yours faithfully

This is the letter you can send, and should prevent any further action until they comply.

Debbie