Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2714 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

How do all, hope I can get some advice on this one.

On buying our first house in September 2011, my partner and I took up buildings and contents insurance with Axa.

On 2nd January this year, we were hit by 90mph winds and all of the ridging tiles and a number of roof tiles were blown off. The ridging tiles plummeted off the roof, tearing off a section of guttering and landing in my conservatory, bursting two of the roof panes in there. Not the best start to the year.

I got in touch with Axa an hour or so after the damage and their adviser was pretty helpful, they broke the claim down into two parts, dealing with the house roof and the conservatory roof separately. The company dealing with the conservatory roof, Solarglass, were pretty efficient and sent someone round to assess the damage and arrange replacement parts. The insurance company are paying for the repair. Unfortunately, the parts can't be fitted until the roof is fixed, in case further damage is done while the roof is fixed.

The fixing of the house roof is causing us serious headaches. The surveyor, from a company called Building Valuation Solutions, couldn't make it out until a week after the damage was caused, which was understandable, given that they must have been dealing with a few similar claims. The earliest we could get a roofer out to give a quote for the job was over a week as well.

So the surveyor came out, looked at the damage, took a couple of photos and agreed the claim within about five minutes of turning up. He calculated the cost of repair as about £670 and had been instructed by Axa to sort a cash settlement, minus our excess. So we were issued £570 by Axa.

The day after the surveyor came out, we had 3 contractors round to give us quotes, the average quote for repair was £980, with very little difference between all three.

This has left us with a bit of a problem, the money that Axa have issued us is £300 short of what we need to do the work. We're of limited means, given that we're not long in to a new house, so not in a position just pay the extra to get the work done and fight them for recompense.

We went back to Axa to let them know the situation, they told us to get back in touch with BVS about the survey. BVS however don't answer the phone. After calling back Axa, they agreed to contact BVS and passed us on an email address for them. Numerous unanswered phonecalls and three emails later, and now 3 weeks after the damage was caused, still no response from BVS.

Meantime, we've had continued poor weather, which is causing further damage to the roof and inside the house.

Any advice/suggestions. I pay my insurance so that I don't have to sit in a house without a roof, and my excess is only £100, so I don't think I should be picking up the extra £300 to get the work done.

Still, it's extremely difficult to get it resolved when we cant get any response from the surveyors and Axa are only willing to refer us back to them.

Any advice welcome.

Gav

Hi gm

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such, Explain whats happened, how they have let you down (potential for further damage) and what you want them to do.

Send it to:-

Paul Evans, Chief Executive

paul.evans@axa.co.uk

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Axa are not the best company to deal with. They must have a claims complaints telephone number you can call to get this resolved quickly. I would have thought they should now arrange to send around someone else to look at the damage as it is and to arrange for the repairs to be carried out. The point is they have given you insufficient money and now the cost of claim is likely to be higher as a consequence.

If your complaint relates to a claim on your Policy: You should contact the AXA Home Claims Team by email at axadirecthome@axaclaims.com or calling 0844 874 0231*. Please quote your claim number when detailing the reason for your complaint.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

How useless, understandable, they only have to release a figure thier trades can do it for, but if you can't find someone to do it for that price they need to either offer the company the figure has been based upon or agree an increase.

Complain, complain and complain again.

Insurers have been busy with the storm claims, but not that busy.

Unfortunately, the advice above is correct, complain to AXA, then if no satisfactory response, claim to FOS (Financial Ombudsman - see your AXA policy for details). Usually, insurers either use approved repairers or ask for you to get estimates, their adjuster has no idea what builders in your area will require for the repair and therefore you should appeal.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue in that we had storm damage to our property. The bay room started to leak after driving rain (we live near the sea) during the 2011 storms.

Axa were helpful at first, they sent out a BVS (Building Validation Solutions) representitive. He came at night! Quite how you can assess the damage at night I'm not sure, he was using a standard torch!!!

He then went on to state that the damage wasn't storm damage and it was deterioration. And that roofs are like cars and require maintenance and also the maintenance which was carried out before I bought the property made any claim in-valid. So you can't maintain the roof as it in-valids the insurance on the roof but the roof needs maintenance every now and then! Which is it!?!?!?

The damage to the internals which included; removal of wall paper to ceiling, re-papering the ceiling, re-decorating the entire room all as stated in his quote amounted to £220.00.

Excess is £200. So I get back £20! The joke is that I work as a building quantity surveyor specifically in the finishing trades. I couldn't get the labour to do the works for that price let alone materials. I got numerous quotes that where closer to the £500.00 mark (3 days labour and materials).

BVS are a complete joke and their representitives are extremely rude and what seem to be un-educated!

I have since refused all insurance companies that use AXA ie The AA.

There is no point in using AXA if BVS are to be consulted as they are extremely cheap. I can only assume that the BVS surveyor works off rates supplied to them. BVS are based in Bolton and I can only presume building works are very cheap up there compared to the south!

Steer clear is my advice!

AXA have probably negotiated a bulk cheap rate under their contract with them and therefore BVS people are on a very tight budget, with their staff rushed into dealing with the number of jobs they have to do. If you go to the large Insurers, it is pretty much the same story in the event of a claim. Much of the work is contracted out as cheaply as possible.

If you want to find a decent Insurers it is best to speak to a good local brokers, as they will know which their clients have received a decent claims service from. Don't go to Swintons as they don't have the best reputation in regard to customer service and they often quote using their parents companies (MMA) Insurers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread