Head massively burried in the sand:Appreciate help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey.

Where to start...

I've got myself in a situation that i really have no idea how to begin getting myself out of. I'm 29 and over the years i stupidly managed to get myself into various debt. Credit Cards and a loan being the culprits.

To begin with i was managing ok, then i made the silly decision to go to uni. During this time the debts built rapidly and i took to online gambling to try and save the day. Obviously this just made matters worse and suffice to say i soon dropped out of Uni, with even more Debt.

After that i worked full time attempting to pay the debts as well i could. Not being able to control my finances I quickly got myself in a mess again, quite often most of my wages would be going towards the various debts.

I then lost my job due the business closing down, at this point the debts were piling up and i probably made the silliest mistake yet. Apon getting a new job i persuaded my parents to allow my wages to be paid into their account. Since then i have ignored all correspondance from banks and debt companies, head in the sand. I tried getting a basic bank account but they refused as one of my credit card debts was attributed to a different address.

This was almost two year ago now and i have no idea how to even begin to remedy this situation. At an estimate i would say i have about £16,000 debt and earn £1100 a month.

I need to get a grip of my life again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would say that your best bet is to apply for your credit reference files to start off with - once you know who your creditors are, come back here and people will be along to give you advice on how to set up payment plans.

You may well find that some of it has dropped off your files as it may be statute barred - have you made any payments in the last 6 years?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll do exactly that.

Payments have been made to all in the past 6 years, except for maybe one credit card i got in 2007 and i don't think i ever paid anything towards it. Shameful.

No, it would be shameful if you taken every single bit of credit out, then done a bunk and paid nothing. You've been trying to service the debts up until it all went wrong, and you're here asking for help now - there's nothing shameful about that. :-)

I was about to say "2007 wasn't six years ago", then I realised it actually was. Either way, get those files and someone way better than I am at this will come along and help you out with figuring out a payment plan.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Just been looking through various posts, trying to get more info. Came across a slight concern, at the moment i'm staying at my parents house til i try and get myself sorted again. Wages are getting paid into their account. No bank account of my own. Is this going to cause problems for my parents when i apply for the report or even at all? They understand my situation and are fully supportive of me sorting myself out, i really don't want them to get stuck having to deal with any of my debt though.

It shouldn't make a difference, because a credit search is on an individual, not an address. It may be worth them filing a notice of disassociation with the credit reference agencies, though - just to be on the safe side.

Have you tried opening a Halifax basic account? You can do it online. My OH wasn't even on the electoral role when he got his, and all they asked for was an extra bit of address identification.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)