how do i know if mortgage was mis-sold

petrified
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

when i took out my mortgage i went through a broker and paid around £700 broker fee, i was only offered one product and it was an interest only mortgage, no advice was offered on how to pay the mortgage off at the end of the term,

im just curious as to where i stand and is it worth trying to do something about this, the mortgage is with mortgages plc

and advice is welcome

regards

lee

Have you got all your paperwork in respect of this contract ? If not, you will have to send a Subject Access Request. You will find a draft in the CAG library, linked at the top of each screen.

You will also need to research MCOBs - Linked below

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/MCOB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Any prospective claim aside, you have ample time to purchase an endowment policy in order to repay the loan at the end of the term. If you do not attempt to mitigate any losses to yourself, then any potential claim you might have against the broker/lender (not saying you actually have a claim) will be reduced if you haven't acted to mitigate losses.

If you haven't already investigated purchasing an endowment policy, then I suggest you concentrate on that first as the longer you leave it, the more expensive the policy will be; and then return to the issue of whether or not you have a claim for mis-advice once the important issue is resolved.

• 1 month later...

Who was your broker? If you are basing your claim on the fact your didn't receive adequate advice, it is 99% likely that your claim is against the broker and not the mortgage company. Many of these brokers following the crunch (recession!) are no longer trading. This doesnt mean you shouldnt investigate a claim, it just means it will take time and effort.

Also, as Lea has said, its a pretty weak argument that you weren't offered advice on how to pay off the loan. You knew you would, why didn't you look in to it? Not being harsh but that is the first question a Judge would ask.

I have to agree with you Rorschach. Many of the mortgage brokers are no longer trading now.....they are now shafting people get back money from mis-sold loans and credit cards....oh the irony! lol

I do think there is an area where you really have to take some of the responsibility of your financial dealings yourself. It just makes the people who really have got problems and have been mis-sold, blend into the others who are just trying it on. I took an interest only mortgage and for the first 3 years of the high interest rate I kept it to interest only. My plan was to change it to repayment after the 3 years when the interest rate change. I then suffered serious sickness and I'm now worried sick at what is going to happen to me!

I was aware that it was an interest only mortgage and therein lies the problem. People are taking these mortgages because they are sold as being much cheaper...or they used to be anyway! I do think that many were mis-sold as the implications of an interest only mortgage were not explained fully. I know that it wasn't explained properly to me...but I was, I thought, financially savvy.

Another thing that is never explained to you is the LIBOR rate and the differences between that and BOE interest rates. I didn't know what LIBOR was because I have only ever had BOE interest rate mortgages and didn't know there was any other interest rate.... I am now learning the hard way. That is completely wrong.

Thank you. xxx