• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Confidentiality Agreement - What to do

Switch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am unable to give specific details at the moment in case I sign a Confidentiality Agreement as requested by the financial institution in question.

A financial institute has agreed to refund my charges on the understanding that I keep the refund of charges confidential and sign a Confidentiality Agreement.

I am in two minds about signing this, on one hand why should I sign it the money was mine to start with and what have I to gain by signing it to purely protect them. On the other hand I think well lets sign it and get the refund without any further hassle.

What approach has been taken by other members in this position, surley signing a Confidentiality Agreement which is entirely in favour of the financial institution has to be worth something to me if I am to give up my rights to discuss with a third party.

Your opinions / guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Guest stephen

Abbey asked me for the same I said no, however if you like you could say you will agree to confidentiality clause but for a a price, if they want one make them pay for one its worth something to them,

If you do agree to sign a confidentiality agreement (and if the sum is compelling no-one would blame you) ensure that it contains words to the effect that you retain an absolute right to contest future penalty charges should they apply them. In effect you are agreeing settlement on historically applied charges ONLY.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

what does it matter ? I would just sign it and get your money back. I really can't see that the bank or their solicitors will be that bothered in spending time checking you have told nobody and in fairness they probably assume that you will tell your mates down the pub anyway !

Unless Switch is your real name (I doubt it is though) then I can't see how they will find out even if you posted on here and weren't too specific.

what does it matter ? I would just sign it and get your money back. I really can't see that the bank or their solicitors will be that bothered in spending time checking you have told nobody and in fairness they probably assume that you will tell your mates down the pub anyway !

Unless Switch is your real name (I doubt it is though) then I can't see how they will find out even if you posted on here and weren't too specific.

I agree with you surreyscouse but I am also looking at this as a time of opportunity 'You scratch my back and i'll scratch yours'.

I will sign your Confidentiality Agreement if you clear the remaining balance of this debt (about 1,400) and you have the CCJ removed from my credit file as the charges were the cause of this situation and the default is removed from the payment history for this account.

I think that is reasonable in return for there request and not greedy in my opinion. Would love to slap a 5,000 payment on top but that I think would be pushing my luck so why not keep it sensible and just look at them to repair the damage they have caused.

I agree with your sentiments, but they have caused you a lot of inconvenience. If they are asking for confidentiality then it is fair to see what that is worth to them. The best suggestion would be to make it proportional to the refunded charges - and a good starting point would be 100%+

After all, do they REALLY want you to tell everyone what they did, and how YOU had to correct their despicable actions?

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I would charge 200 quid to sign the agreement.

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

didn't know about the ccj mate.

In which case go for it !

Get the CCJ removed for definate and then move other lending around (once you are certain it has been removed) and save money that way. So not only will you get the £1400 you should also save a few quid each month on other lending. Makes sense to me. Sometimes you just need to do a deal with the devil and I wouldn't blame you on this occasion

I agree with your sentiments, but they have caused you a lot of inconvenience. If they are asking for confidentiality then it is fair to see what that is worth to them. The best suggestion would be to make it proportional to the refunded charges - and a good starting point would be 100%+

After all, do they REALLY want you to tell everyone what they did, and how YOU had to correct their despicable actions?

I agree Spiceskull that CCJ has really buggered me up the refund is a few pound under 1,000 so I figure them writing off the rest of the debt of 1,400 would be proportional.

I would make it clear to them that in the event that a satisfactory conclusion can not be reached then I would see it through to court and I would ensure every media source the length and breadth of the country would be offered the story (Free of charge to ensure maximum publicity) telling of there blackmail tactics they employ to refund money that is not rightly there's

have they made their offer in writing ? If not get it because the press would love to get their hands on that and shows a clear admission of guilt on behalf of the bank.

Yes they have made the offer in writing and have also included two copies of the Confidentiality Agreement they want me to sign one of which is to be sent back to them.

They have also said in the letter that once they are in receipt of the signed Confidentiality Agreement they will then refund the charges. They have said if i do not sign it they will not refund.

have they made their offer in writing ? If not get it because the press would love to get their hands on that and shows a clear admission of guilt on behalf of the bank.

It would never be in writing as an admission of guilt. The wording is more likely to say 'commercial reasons' or 'goodwill'. However, as banks NEVER show goodwill people can draw their own conclusions as to why they have refunded the money...after all, if they WERE lawfully entitled to it they would pursue you for it...

It would never be in writing as an admission of guilt. The wording is more likely to say 'commercial reasons' or 'goodwill'. However, as banks NEVER show goodwill people can draw their own conclusions as to why they have refunded the money...after all, if they WERE lawfully entitled to it they would pursue you for it...

Correct Spiceskull, it is words to that effect, Cost of Small Claims to costly for them to chase, but the charges they have applied are correct and legal.

On reflection of the previous posts my feeling is why should I let them off so easily, when the money to be returned is mine anyway.

I will sign their Confidentiality Agreement in return for writing off the remainder of the debt (about 1,400), and repair of my credit file.

If this is not agreed then Confidentiality Agreement will not be signed I will see them in Court and every media source I can think of will be offered the story free of charge. I'm sure black mailing tactics of financial institutions (which is exactly what it is) would be of interest to the media.

That's the spirit - push THEM around for a change. Good luck.

Any chance you could let us see your letter you send, I will be in the same position shortly and may need help!

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Yes they have made the offer in writing and have also included two copies of the Confidentiality Agreement they want me to sign one of which is to be sent back to them.

They have also said in the letter that once they are in receipt of the signed Confidentiality Agreement they will then refund the charges. They have said if i do not sign it they will not refund.

Yeah - right!

Fine, I would say don't 'refund' them then and I'll see you in court.

I bet the next letter from them is a full refund!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Any chance you could let us see your letter you send, I will be in the same position shortly and may need help!

Yes I will over the weekend, with specifics removed of course.

I always say no, they moan but give in. The settlment and the agreement are independant of each other. IF they make you an offer ONLY if you sign an agreement, you write back and accept the offer by refuse the agreement. The matter goes to trial, they can not say you refused the offer, because you accpeted it but it was the other part of the agreement, the confidentialty agreement you had a problem with.

The can not use as a defence ' we offered to dettle in full but this was refused as the claimant failed to agree to a confidentiality clause'. You just produce your letter saying you accpet the sum offer but reject the confidentialty clause and that should settle the matter.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

I always say no, they moan but give in. The settlment and the agreement are independant of each other. IF they make you an offer ONLY if you sign an agreement, you write back and accept the offer by refuse the agreement. The matter goes to trial, they can not say you refused the offer, because you accpeted it but it was the other part of the agreement, the confidentialty agreement you had a problem with.

The can not use as a defence ' we offered to dettle in full but this was refused as the claimant failed to agree to a confidentiality clause'. You just produce your letter saying you accpet the sum offer but reject the confidentialty clause and that should settle the matter.

Valid point Maxie, thankyou for that pointer.

Telephone Them To Confirm Any Hush Money When They Offer It And Record It And Ask For It In Writing, Wow, What An Opportunity, I Got Recording Equipment Today From Maplins, As My Wife Was Taliking To Barclay Card And The C/s Operator Agreed The Charges Were Unlawful And Is Sending All Statements For Free

There Are Loadsa Slipups Like This From The Banks

TOTALLY debt free as of 2007, Fantastic,

Call me old fashioned, but what about ' my word is my bond'? a very British part of history that people should remember. I've been in business for a good few years and there's something about keeping to your word that still has a value to me and many others should sit and think about that for one minute. If you sign a confidentiality agreement that is exactly what it is 'confidential'. Imagine telling your best mate your inner secrets knowing they would keep them confidential only to find out they told others. I loathe the banks and all they stand for and support this site for all it stands for and the sincerity of Dave and Bankfodder et al for not getting drawn in to taking money, but don't lower yourselves to the levels of the banks by breaking something you agree to. Negotiate? yes, screw them? yes, get as much back from them as you can because they are the ones flouting honesty, but keep your word whatever you decide to do. Sign it - abide by it and keep your mouth shut , or don't sign it and let us all know.

Telephone Them To Confirm Any Hush Money When They Offer It And Record It And Ask For It In Writing, Wow, What An Opportunity, I Got Recording Equipment Today From Maplins, As My Wife Was Taliking To Barclay Card And The C/s Operator Agreed The Charges Were Unlawful And Is Sending All Statements For Free

There Are Loadsa Slipups Like This From The Banks

Sorry to go OT, but why do you start every word with a capital letter? It makes your post difficult to follow.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks