Key care ins.

jazzyb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4463 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, not at all sure about this one. My wife lost her keys about a week ago and on the key was a fob that would advise the finder of the keys to ring a number and they would receive £10. This was part of some house insurance that we had some years ago and is now out of date (yes should have taken the fob off!). Anyway we had a call from the insurance provider to tell us that our keys had been found but we had to rejoin the policy at a cost of £27 to get our keys back. I asked if they would give me the telephone number of the person who had the keys so i could contact them and give them the tenner my self but they refused as it is not their policy to do that....so my question is are they allowed to withhold this information just because we don't have a policy or would it be a data protection issue?

Thanks

Yes, it would be a data protection issue. It's a bit of a cheek that they can use that to effectively hold you to ransom for £27, but I can't honestly see any way round it.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

I suppose it's probably cheaper than having your locks changed or all your keys re-cut, but still...one of those occasions when something that was designed to protect people gets abused, I'm afraid.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

I suppose it's probably cheaper than having your locks changed or all your keys re-cut, but still...one of those occasions when something that was designed to protect people gets abused, I'm afraid.

Not sure how this is abuse, OP was not insured (apparently for some years) and if he had removed the tag would not have got the keys back at all and would probably have been put to a great deal more expense than £27, let alone the time and inconvenience. Personally I think the Ins co. should be thanked.

Not sure how this is abuse, OP was not insured (apparently for some years) and if he had removed the tag would not have got the keys back at all and would probably have been put to a great deal more expense than £27, let alone the time and inconvenience. Personally I think the Ins co. should be thanked.

Fair comment...you're right, abuse was far too strong a word. It just doesn't feel OK to me that the insurance company get to call him after the policy has lapsed, and tell him that he has to pay them to release the keys.

Fair comment...you're right, abuse was far too strong a word. It just doesn't feel OK to me that the insurance company get to call him after the policy has lapsed, and tell him that he has to pay them to release the keys.

Exactly the policy had lapsed, so the insurance company was under no obligation to do anything. The OP didn't have to pay, it was his choice.

I have 2 vehicle keys, a chubb key, 3 yale keys, a safe key and garage key on my key ring. I would jump at the chance to pay just £27 to get them back and at the same time have the policy re-instated.

They've taken the time to ring you, they'd also need to pay the £10 reward to the third party. How would you expect this to be free to you?!

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

mattyprice4004.

They have only taken the time to ring me in the hope that i will part with £27.00 to rejoin the policy, as i refused to do that they were no help what so ever!! and if you had read my initial post correctly you would have read that i offered to pay the £10.00 myself to the finder of the keys if they give me their contact details or even pass my contact details on so it would have cost them a few pence for a telephone call!!