Cambridge Sciences / AndroidTablets UK problem on Amazon

42man
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a £180 Cambridge Sciences tablet from 'Quality Stores' via Amazon mid December as a Xmas present for my daughter. When opened on Xmas day, (we noticed that it had a few finger marks on it, so I was slightly suspicious about it being new (it was quoted as being new) however I guessed that they may have done some 'pre-sale checking of the item before selling it) we noticed it needed charging, so duly plugged it in.....we also noticed at the time that you cannot use the tablet whilst it is charging, anyway on the day it 'corrected' itself and was working fine....rolling forward after a few downloads to 3 days ago...it was plugged in to be charged, and charge it duly did and the green 'fully charged' light came on and it is now unusable due to us being unable to 'unlock' the screen and a permanent message saying 'connect your charger' (the battery icon at the top has a "?" in it). The seller offers a 6 month RTB warranty, however I noticed today that one of the feedbacks (and indeed 3/4 others) have exactly the same problem......I have now emailed them (2 days ago) and am awaiting a response.....I have up until early March to file a claim via Amazon.....I am astickler for customer service so will report back here....what I find amazing is that there is NO information whatsoever about 'Quality Stores' .....I can only presume that if they are trading on Amazon then they are a bona-fide company.....we'l see...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contacted by Quality Stores.....have asked me to return the item, I offered to deliver but appraently it is only a service centre (to what looks like a residential address in Sunbury-On-Thames) and I wouldn't get a receipt for it !! told them if I can't deliver it I will send in by guaranteed post.

Edited by 42man

• 4 weeks later...

Well the story continues, they sent a 'replacement' (which didn't seem new) in the frist week in February.....now it has had very little use, my daughter has made a few downloads, and has been looking after it religiously.....it has only been charged once in the last few weeks. What happens today ? swithc it on and EXACLTY the same problem.....I have sent a message to Quality Stores and have stated that I would like a refund....It is actually quite a nice little tablet which my daughter has enjoyed using but with the same problem happening I know to buy a better quality branded product......I will keep posting progress...

We are also having an issue with a buyer on Amazon where the goods delivered looked new, but were definitely second hand on plugging in as the unit had been "named". Is this a new trait with Amazon. Seller never even question the return and refund.

I have filed a claim with Amazon and the tablet will be going back this week, i'm afriad due to this reocurring problem I don't trust this product at all (i'm not even sure they are any kind of company at all, I wonder what vetting procedures they have to go through with Amazon ?)......this is their response

Thanks for the email. Please check and make sure you are still within the 7 working day returns period as stipulated in the UK Distance Selling Regulations and stated in our Returns Policy on Amazon. If so, we would be happy to refund your purchase, if you are outside the 7 working day period, we can only repair or replace the item.

This is their 'returns' policy

Thanks for the email. As your tablet is still under warranty, we would be happy to accept it back and see what the problem is. It may require a factory repair and the turn around time for that is 4 working days. If it's an irreparable fault, we will replace it for you at no extra cost. The following text from the Amazon Returns Policy covers the subject of postage and delivery. “In addition, with respect to returns initiated during the period between 7 and 30 days after delivery (or between seven and 14 days in the case of large sporting goods), you are not required to refund the cost of giftwrapping, delivery or other services provided to the buyer in connection with the purchase.” Returns Checklist Please ensure you package it carefully. Please ensure all the cables, charger, cable ties and user manual are complete. If there was a screen protector, please ensure it’s on the screen same as when you got it. Please enclose the order receipt we sent with your tablet. Please enclose a note explaining what the problem is. Please enclose a ROYAL MAIL PAID self addressed Special Delivery envelope for Tech Support to return the tablet back to you after repair or replacement or you can enclose £8 in stamps if you cannot get a ROYAL MAIL PAID self addressed Special Delivery envelope Once you're sure everything is back in order, please return it to: The return address is Tech Support Repairs 8B Thames Street Sunbury TW16 5QP

I am pretty sure that I read that under the Distance Selling Regulations, if the item is faulty, postage is the responsibility of the seller and not the consumer. If the item was being returned because you did not like it, then you pay!

Refunds

On the cancellation of a contract, any sum paid by the consumer must be repaid as soon as possible and, in any case, within 30 days of cancellation. The full price paid for the goods must be refunded and this includes the cost of delivery of the goods to the consumer.

In certain circumstances the supplier may charge the consumer for the cost of the supplier recovering the goods (e.g. where the consumer fails to return them). To do so, the contract must specify that the consumer is under an obligation to return the goods if he or she cancels the contract and the consumer gets notice of this in advance as part of the written confirmation relating to the right to cancel. The costs cannot be passed on to the consumer where the goods are returned because they are faulty or do not comply with the contract for some other reason.

Where the supplier wishes to send substitute goods (e.g. where the original goods ordered are not in stock, but similar goods are available), the supplier must have provided for the possibility of sending substitute goods in its contract and in the case of the consumer cancelling the contract and returning the goods, the supplier must bear the cost of such return.

Have a read here

• Haha 1

They are claiming that they don't have to give a refund as it is outside the 7 days timeframe.....they will repair / replace the item but expect me to pay £7 to return the item BACK to them and enclose another £8 worth of stamps !!!

Now Amazon are saying that -

We are writing to you regarding your recent A-to-z Guarantee claim for order XXXXXXXXX. The A-to-z Guarantee refund policy only covers:

1) When the buyer provided payment to the seller, but the seller failed to deliver the item.

2) When the buyer received the item, but the item was materially different than as depicted in the seller's description.

We determined that you are not eligible for an A-to-z Guarantee claim as you did receive the item you ordered and you did not contact the seller to make return arrangements for the merchandise within 14 days of receipt. Your Guarantee claim for order XXXXXXXXX has been closed.

More information regarding Marketplace and Merchant returns are found by visiting the URLs below:

I find it incredible that I buy a product which goes wrong twice with exactly the same problem in less than 2 months and I can't get a refund.......I also noticed that Quality Stores have changed their name to Cambridge Sciences which seems very dodgy...

Interestingly enough an email I recieved from them back in January said this -

"Yes you can deliver it by hand but as it is only Tech Support and not customer service, you will not get a receipt for it. It's really best to send it in via the Royal Mail who will give Tech Support an order number for billing."

What I find strange about this now is that this person (it is a one man band) says "It is only Tech Support and not Customer Service" Now Quality Stores and Cambridge Sciences Ltd. are all based at this residential address in Sunbury-On-Thames.

Now today after asking if I could deliver the tablet back (and collect it when repaired) this was the answer -

"Please send it in by post as instructed. Tech Support will not accept a tablet off the street. Kind regards, QS"

Which clearly suggests that the change in heart has come around as this guy obviously does NOT want to be seen....

Very frustrating and Amazon have managed to wipe their hands clean for any shared responsibility for faulty goods

:(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

So Quality Stores are actually

CAMBRIDGE SCIENCES LIMITED

8b Thames Street

Sunbury-On-Thames

Middlesex

United Kingdom

TW16 5QP

seems the one and only director is KELECHUKWU OHUIZU UWAEGBUTE. This company only opened in March 2011 so no real track record. See here for more details.

Hi,

I have had a problem with the mains charger for my son's tablet and have had some correspondence via email with Quality Stores today.

Then out of the blue the chap telephones me today from QS and is very helpful on the phone. Well, at least I thought he was until I did a bit of digging and find that he is actually Cambridge Sciences - so thank you for your post as it alerted me to this fact and stopped me from sending him £11.98 for a replacement charger - which he claimed he would gain no profit from as the cheque was to be made direct to "Cambridge Sciences".

Buyer beware.... :|

• 2 months later...

Registered address of Cambridge Sciences changed on 13/4/2012 to

Abbey House

Wellington Way

Weybridge

Surrey KT13 0TT

It still has a credit rating of creditworthy

There is a company called Quality Stores Ltd but they are based in Tottenham court road London, there is also a non ltd company calling themselves quality Stores based at

130 Tolworth Broadway

Surbiton

Surrey KT67HT and the chief exec/owner has a totally different name

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Just noticed that Cambridge Sciences accounts are 'overdue' Now theres a surprise....

I am so pleased to have found somebody else who has been ripped off by this "company".i too bought one as a christmas gift and it stopped working. I eventually had to send it back to Tech Support Repairs

8B Thames Street

Sunbury TW16 5QP along with £9.00 worth of stamps, 10 days later received another one that did not work. Several e-mails later they told me to send it back again (again with £9.00 worth of stamps). This time I have received a replacement that is not only badly worn, screen scratched and white casing scratched and scuffed but also does not work!! I have been in touch with Amazon who have been most unhelpful stating that because I did not sent it back in the first 7 days (it was working then by the way) I cannot make a claim. So now I am stuck with a second hand tablet that has never worked whilst in my possession that has so far cost me £217.00 to buy, and £18.00 to send it back twice. I have been in touch with Trading Standards and all they have said is to send a registered letter stating that I want a refund!!!!! no help at all !! ARGHHHHHH!!

Exactly the same as me....i've been left with a product that I have used for less than a few hours, a very upset daughter and I feel kidnapped as I do not want to waste any more money on postage costs.......I think he will do a runner to be honest, I notice they keep changing the trading name from Cambridge Sciences, to Quality Stores to Cambridge. which is clearly an attempt to mislead. The thing is he is using Amazon as a 'front' to give himself some credibility....I certainly will not be buying anything like this from Amazon again.