ZARA (Covent Garden/ London): not truthful? to a customer

SandraUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I went shopping to Zara (Covent Garden/ London) on 12. Jan. 2012. After buying two pairs of shoes, I wanted to try a jacket on and that was when I placed my bag on the floor next to me. While I was busy trying it on and looking at myself in the mirror, the bag was gone.

I asked employees for help and they looked around but after a few minutes, the only answer I got was, "Sorry, it's gone. There is nothing we can do." I asked to see CCTV to find out what happened but a lady answered that there was no CCTV. Since I was in such a shock and all I could think of was blocking all credit/debit cards.

After I came home to block the cards, I went to police to report it. When I told an officer what happened, he answered that ALL stores have CCTV and I was very ill-treated. After a few days, I went to a different branch to see if there was CCTV and indeed there was. (I did not go back to the same branch because I didn't have time to go all the way til there and I am still in the shock.)

My bag, purse, gloves and a make-up bag were nothing compare to my USB stick for work. Since I was THINKING of making a back-up file, I had not done it yet because I NEVER loose my USB...(not until then...!)

I accept the fact that the bag and all belongings are gone but I am very unsatisfied how the employees treated me. possibly not telling the truth to a customer whose bag was just stolen in the store? Because my bag is not their retail product, it does not matter if someone comes and steals it?

I have expressed my disappointment through Zara's online contact form, but I have not received any reply yet. I want to send my opinion per mail but the only address I found was in Spain. I wonder how serious they will take my letter.

Hi Sandra

Welcome to CAG

You've reported the matter to the police.

This is how to obtain a copy of CCTV footage from ZARA:- http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/cctv.aspx

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint , mark it as such. Explain whats happened, what was said to you and how they have let you down. Explain what you want them to do, also include to request for CCTV footage with payment, give them as much detail as to time, location etc.

Send it to:-

Managaing Director

ZARA

120 REGENT STREET

LONDON W1B 5FE

Call to find out who the MD is 02078514300

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

There will also be plenty of CCTV around Covent Garden :-

http://www.casweb.org/cgca/

Dear rebel11,

Thank you so much for your comment! Before I write a letter to them, what do you mean by "CCTV footage with payment"? Do I need to pay for it? Or do I request some payment as compensation?? If yes, how much would be adequate? For example, I do not have receipts of my personal belongings and some of them are just priceless (such as USB stick).

Thanks again!!!

Hi Sandra

'When can CCTV images be disclosed? 'You have the right to see CCTV images of you and to ask for a copy of them. The organisation must provide them within 40 calendar days of your request, and you may be asked to pay a fee of up to £10 (this is the maximum charge, set by Parliament). This is called a Subject Access Request. You will need to provide details to help the operator to establish your identity as the person in the pictures, and to help them find the images on their system.'

To get compensation you would need to prove that they were negligent regarding your property, did they have signs regarding, 'taking care of your property'?

Dear rebel11,

Thank you so much for your comment! Before I write a letter to them, what do you mean by "CCTV footage with payment"? Do I need to pay for it? Or do I request some payment as compensation?? If yes, how much would be adequate? For example, I do not have receipts of my personal belongings and some of them are just priceless (such as USB stick).

Thanks again!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Dear rebel11,

Thanks again!!!

Why would they compensate you? It's theft, it wasn't their fault you didn't look after your bag.

Even if they did have CCTV apart from passing it to the police who would investigate you would still not get compensation.

You need to keep a backup of your files, and learn to take responsibility for your actions rather than trying to claim from Zara who were not responsible.

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Matty - I'm not exactly sure that Sandra is trying to displace responsibility here. She has, after all, acknowledged that she's accepted the loss of her belongings and is concerned mainly with how she perceives she has been ill-treated.

To a degree, I agree with her. Why tell a customer there is no CCTV, when it is evident upon investigation that there is? That strikes me as odd to begin with. It's almost deliberately obstructive.

Sandra, I'd follow Rebel11's advice.

Phil