CCJ Issued in my absence while abroad, company continued billing me for over a year later.

mediastars
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

A storage company has been billing me for storage for over a year and a half in my absence and then issued me with a CCJ.

I returned from living abroad recently and was handed some mail by my tenants from a property I own before I moved abroad. I had a small storage/lockup which I paid for monthly before I left the country. The storage company were well aware that I had an agreement that all invoices for this storage were supposed to be emailed to me as I was out of the country. However they stopped sending them two months after I left and I never heard from them. At the same time I had a friend empty the storage and remove the padlock. So the storage was empty (I was not in any special offer period, I could stop at any time).

I did email them to tell them I wanted to cancel the storage etc but they never replied.

Then the storage company apparently have been continuing to send paper invoices to this address but I was abroad actually with NO contact from myself, they continued to invoice for a year and a half after. This amounted to just under 2K and they then issued a CCJ which is what I have now.

I am perplexed to be honest how or why a company would continue to bill me for something I was not using and considering the amount of time they were sending these invoices they must of thought something was not right.

Can they just keep billing me month after month after month even when I have not had any communication from them? they did send paper invoices to the address but I was not there to recieve them and they know that. There surely must be some law that says they cannot do this.

I am going to write to them but wanted to ask first if this is legal, can they do this?

I do not have any emails now I dont think from my commnication but I might have if I dig deep enough. It was quite a long time ago for me.

Any advice is appreciated before I consider communicating with them and the court.

Al

If you can show evidence that you were abroad when the claim was issued then you would get the judgment set aside, but then you would have to fight the claim.....as you did email them to cancel then there is a chance you may win, what sort of notice did you have to give them to cancel ? Does it seem like they have ignored your email of cancellation ?

I needed only to give one months notice. I can easily prove that I was not living there, i have stamps on my passport and a rental agreement for a holiday home.

Just not sure now whether to write to the court, i.e. fill out the court paperwork or deal with the company directly.

I get a sense of they were just trying to bill me for money regardless. Greedy. Just cannot understand how anyone can bill someone for over a year and a half without any contact. That part is wrong. Your average utility service provider would not keep billing you month after month, they would cut your services etc well I would imagine they would.

Getting the CCJ set aside

I can do this by filling out (what form?)

How long do they allow investigations to go on for while it is set aside?

While it is set aside does that mean the CCJ comes off my credit file?

Once they are satisfied with the outcome (court) if I manage to set this judgement aside, and I win etc, I take it that the CCJ will never appear on my file again? As this is my understanding.