• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HSBC - 11 loans over 15 yrs, getting run around with SAR (surprise surprise)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all, my first time back here in a while - last time was for unfair bank charges about 5 yrs ago. CAG help was invaluable, we won across 7 accounts so thanks again but as the assistance is first class CAG you are my only source for my PPI claim! yes we did donate :)

Anwyay first of all, we complained at the branch and HSBC wrote to us straight away saying there was no evidence of PPI on any of the loans. Total rubbish, so we sent the SAR and HSBC very quickly offered a settlement on 2 of the most recent loans but having sent the SAR and not had anything back yet (not been 40 days yet) we've no idea as to what the settlement should be. We also filled out 11 Financial Ombudsman complaint forms for each of the loans....PPI was across most of the loans but without statements (all shredded over the yrs) we have nothing to go on.

Within the settlement offer letter they also said that as the other 9 loans were all older than 6 yrs that the SAR we'd sent was not going to be dealt with unless we wrote to another address which is where they archive their old accounts. The SAR template was from this site, is very comprehensive, and was sent with £10.

So the problem we have is that having sent the SAR with no information not only do we not know what we're owed on the two we've been offered a settlement on, but the other 9 are up in the air and seem even further away. What do we do? Chase the SAR? Accept their offer?

Guidance would be very much appreciated!

thanks and regards

J

HSBC £5600 : Paid in Full 31/8

HSBC £4700 : Paid in Full 05/09

MBNA £1780 : Paid in Full 8/11

Smile £2400 :Paid in Full 17/11

RBOS £200 : Prelim 11/10

Hi and welcome back

If it were me I'd wait the 40 days and see what turns up. How long have you got to go?

If you have sent a SAR with your £10 for all information they hold then you have done your bit. The bank are a data controller so they should provide your data regardless of where it is. Their statement that you will have to send another £10 to another department is a nonsense.

It is for the data compliance department/manager to ensure what they send you is complete.

So with regard to these loans, were they all used to refinance earlier ones or were they all stand alone loans?

ims

yep - we had to write to an address in Sheffield, they wrote back to say write to Bristol and we even spoke on the phone and the guy said he had the last 6 yrs info on the screen but sseemingly he never actually posted it out. He then said write back to Sheffield but don't mention PPI or they will try to get out of it so we did and we're waiting!

The settlement offer we have is also very limited so we have only some idea as to how their offer is calculated on the 2 loans. It might be correct, but could be and is very likely going to be lower than what is really owed :)

Don't tell me, we need the SAR information to make any informed decision, right?

Hi and welcome back

If it were me I'd wait the 40 days and see what turns up. How long have you got to go?

If you have sent a SAR with your £10 for all information they hold then you have done your bit. The bank are a data controller so they should provide your data regardless of where it is. Their statement that you will have to send another £10 to another department is a nonsense.

It is for the data compliance department/manager to ensure what they send you is complete.

So with regard to these loans, were they all used to refinance earlier ones or were they all stand alone loans?

ims

all stand alone, some paid off early, some at term.

We need a response to the SAR to work it all out! scoundrels.

Hi

Ok thanks

If you haven't any of the agreements then it is nigh on impossible to check the figures.

I guess you don't have the agreements for these two loans?

ims

unfortunately not...too long ago. we need to wait for the SAR don't we.

how can we chase it?

How long is it till the 40 days are up?

You could phone to check progress but can't really do anything to force the issue until their permitted time is up sadly

ims

we did call to check and that's when the running around began!

The first SAR letter went to HSBC in leeds on 23rd November and that is over 40 days ago.

they wrote back and said the address was Bristol so we wrote there and they wrote back and said they would investigate but then the offer came through. 10th Jan we re-wrote the same letter to Bristol and are waiting for the information.

How can we step this up?

Hi

OK so they have failed to provide SAR.

In the library there is a template for a failed SAR and they need to be reported to the ICO.

You can also issue in court to force compliance with SAR, your action being brought as a failure under the Data Protection Act.

With your failed SAR letter, send it recorded to the Registered Office and address it to the Data Compliance Manager.

ims

thats the ticket.....right then, sending that tomorrow! i am sure they have a big red flag on our name - having claimed for bank charges over £15,000 refunded, I am so sure they have a big message saying "mess these guys around!"

thank you very much.......

:thumb:

Keep us posted

ims

will do thanks!!!

i remember with the bank charges that they would only send records dating up to 6 yrs. these loans date back 15yrs

If it gives you some hope, in April/May last year HFC (Part of HSBC) sent me stuff going back to 1988/89 including a copy of the signed agreement so there is some hope

ims

cool that sounds promising. maybe i'll pick up with Natwest from 1996 and Co-Op from 1999 as well....

If it gives you some hope, in April/May last year HFC (Part of HSBC) sent me stuff going back to 1988/89 including a copy of the signed agreement so there is some hope

ims

hey one last question before i hit the hay if you please?

I'm going to SAR Natwest, Co-Op and MBNA for other loans taken out....if i don't know the account numbers can I leave it blank? Will I need to provide old addresses too?

sounds like a lot of borrowing but you'll be pleased to hear that credit for me is now a thing of the past :)

Hi

If you don't know account numbers just give them your full name and current address together with addresses that would have been relevant at the time the accounts were live.

Regards

ims

On the matter of the SAR - they are giving you the runaround and you are falling for it.

It is their problem as to whether they are storing your data. It is not for you to write around to people trying to find it. They are required to provide all data - whatever - and wherever.

You should have written to them and told them that you require them to produce it within the 40 days statutory deadline. They now appear to be admitting the existence of other data and yet they have not supplied it and this puts them in breach.

You need to stand up for yourselves in the face of this kind of trick and make them realise that they have to get their act together.

Secondly, they may fob you off with some rubbish about PPI only being refundable for the last 6 years. I hope that you know that this is not true and this would be simply another banking lie.

If they start mucking you around then you should start threatening legal action - and mean it - don't bluff. If you issue a claim form you will see them start behaving themselves.

I suggest that at the very least your write a letter of complain to the ICO in respect of every DPA breach

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bankfodder

I've just received my DSAR back from lloyds

I requested everything from when the current account was started in 1986 and the sent me stuff from 2001 onwards

I want to challenge this so what you ate saying is that I can get EVERYTHING?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so we're about to issue the claim form to HSBC for failing to comply with the SAR. I've lodged a complaint with the ICO too. They cashed the £10 cheque and wrote to use saying it would take 40 days from now! cheeky gits.

I take it if I dig about there are guides on this site for the claim form re SAR?

thanks always...

John

On the matter of the SAR - they are giving you the runaround and you are falling for it.

It is their problem as to whether they are storing your data. It is not for you to write around to people trying to find it. They are required to provide all data - whatever - and wherever.

You should have written to them and told them that you require them to produce it within the 40 days statutory deadline. They now appear to be admitting the existence of other data and yet they have not supplied it and this puts them in breach.

You need to stand up for yourselves in the face of this kind of trick and make them realise that they have to get their act together.

Secondly, they may fob you off with some rubbish about PPI only being refundable for the last 6 years. I hope that you know that this is not true and this would be simply another banking lie.

If they start mucking you around then you should start threatening legal action - and mean it - don't bluff. If you issue a claim form you will see them start behaving themselves.

I suggest that at the very least your write a letter of complain to the ICO in respect of every DPA breach

• 2 weeks later...

After much back and forth to HSBC requesting full account history, they sent an enormous box with hundreds of pages of largely illegible information, however after trawling through every page it's clear that they have not included any information with regards to any of the loans apart from the 2 loans they have chosen to offer a refund on PPI. How do we get them to disclose details of these loans? Surely there should be specific reference to each loan. They are not making this easy!! complaint to ICO underway... :evil:

Two points the data provided must be legible

and understandable, and the SAR must include

all the data pertaining to any business you have

or have had with the creditor, Complain to their

data controller and tell them you are copying your

letter to the ICO.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

ok thanks - we'll do that now. Is there a template for such a complaint? Just filling the form out with the ICO for the complaint.....

• 1 month later...