Directline and moorcroft debt collector...help please

dawnwb

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I need some advice please.

Last August I bought a car for myself and my daughter to drive,

my daughter had recently passed her test and I thought direct line would be good has she could build up her no claims with them,

they offer no claims for named drivers.

When I contacted directline to offer proof of my 10yrs no claims to them,

they asked me some questions i.e how often my daughter drives the car etc

I told them my daughter drove it about 3 times a week and I drove it the rest of the time,

I also told them that my daughter paid the insurance payments as that was her contribution to the car,

payments were much higher with her as a named driver than me alone,

i pay petrol and anything else the car needs.

Direct line decided that they did not want to insure the car any more because of the answers I gave them

(non of the questions were asked when I took out the policy online) Of course

I was upset about this as I was made to feel like I was lying or something?...

I took out another policy with another insurance company.

About 4 weeks later I got a letter from them saying that I owed them £270,

I phoned them and asked what that was for and we had paid all the monthly payments,

they told me it was because I didn't show them proof of my no claims,

which got forgotten about because they decided to cancel the policy.

I told them that in fact they had my no claims from a previous policy about 18months previous.

I asked them to look into it and send me a letter detailing what this £270 was actually for,

I never got any letter of them or any other communication.

Today I got a letter from Moorcroft Debt Collectors saying that if I didn't Pay £270 in the next 7 days they would advise Direct line to take me to court.

They state this letter is notice of intended litigation.

Could anyone advise me on the best thing to do about this, I dont have £270 and really dont think I should have to pay it.

Thanks in advance

Make a complaint to Direct Line by phone and ask for their customer relations complaints team to look into this. Get the name of the person you speak to and also make a note of the date/time of call. Once Direct Line have registered the complaint they should acknowledge within 48 hours and then provide a proper response within 20 day (I think). After 8 weeks, if DL cannot resolve to your satisfaction, you can refer the complaint to the FOS, which would cost DL a £500 case fee and you nothing. The chances are that if you push the complaint enough, DL could well write the amount off, given they way the handled the admin of the policy.

Once the complaint is registered for Insurances, under FSA/FOS rules, DL would have to put any collection activity on hold. So they should tell Moorcroft to stop contacting you while the complaint is ongoing.

Nb. You could also send a letter of complaint as a follow up to the phone call if you wish.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

and no dont pay moorcrap anything

they have NO LEGAL POWERS

neither can THEY take you to court

only DL can

and they wont

they've never done court for that.

pers i'd tell 'em to go away.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Moorcroft are one of the easier companies to get rid of, write to DirectLine and ask for a copy of the recording of the call, and ask why they have not communicated with you about this - clearly you do not owe £270 at all.

Todays news on BBC

Insurance firms Direct Line and Churchill - both owned by RBS - have been fined £2.17m for tampering with customer complaint files before submitting them to

the Financial Services Authority (FSA).

DONT THINK DIRECT LINE WOULD WANT TO BE REPORTED AGAIN ....OR DO THEY ....?

Do what is suggested and as Dx100 says ignore Morecrap :)

Thanks for your advice so far, I feel a lot better now.

I think I will write to them and send it recorded delivery, on the last phone call to them I was passed around to about 4 different departments.

I asked if I could converse with them via email because I am hard of hearing but they told me there was no email address that I could use, that is the reason why I asked them to send me a letter (which I never got) explaining why they thought I owed them money.

I did put a complaint in when they canceled the policy but the complaints department just said that the under writers were not prepared to insure me based on the answers I gave, I don't know what they think happen's when someone puts their child as a named driver on the policy and pays a massive amount more for the privilege, of course my daughter would be driving the car??

I decided to leave at that but then they hit me with this £270!

I will put another complaint in about the fact they wouldn't write to me explaining about this £270 and the fact they have passed me to a Debt Collection with out any communication from them.

Loving how they are in the news today for tampering with customer complaint, thanks spots1, will look into that.

I shall ignore Morecrap :-D

once again thank you for your help and I shall keep you posted.