Tax Credit Enq

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3400 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hope you can give me some advice. I've been claiming tax credits for three years for me and my husband. I work part time and my husband was unemployed until December 2011. Last week I rang the Tax Credit department to report the changes, informing them that my husband has began work.

Yesterday, I had a letter saying that the income that I stated is different from what they have for 2010-2011. It had picked up my small pension that I receive monthly from a private pension. I feel really stupid as I didn't think that this made any difference. I didn't do this dishonestly I thought that they meant state pensions. My husband is livid with me and have told me that ignorance is no excuse and I should have declared it. Apart from the initial paperwork I've always renewed my credits over the phone and normally they just ask is there a change in income.....

The letter has said that if I disagree with it to contact them by the 24th Jan. Well I agree with it. I don't know what to do now. Do I sit tight and hope that they will only pick me up for that year and have to pay the overpayment or should I contact them to explain my ignorance. What will happen next? Even with my husband working and my pension credit we should still be entitled to a small amount of Tax Credit.

I have never experienced anything like this before and so very worried. Any advice will be appreciated.

Tell your husband to get a grip. You made a mistake, it happens. You didn't mastermind a fraud.

I appreciate that you are extremely worried - however, these letters are nothing to worry about. They are not like the other tax credit letters that you may have heard of. Now, others may tell you to do this or do that based on what happened with their claim. Listen to your auntie Erika - unless someone has received the exact same letter as you have, their circumstances are completely different to yours and what applies in their case will not necesserily apply to your case.

What do you need to do? Absolutely nothing. With the income discrepancy letters, unless you do disagree with the income they have stated, you do not have to contact them; they will reassess your award based upon that income figure if they do not hear from you by the specified date.

However, you can contact them voluntarily if you wish to do so. If you do want to contact them, you can do it by phone or by post.

• What will be acheived by your contacting them before the specified date? They might re-assess your award sooner, rather than waiting till the specified date.
  • What would a phonecall to them about this be like? Well, I suppose it depends on the person making the call and the person answering it. But it has to be said, that most people are surprised at how easily the phone call goes. I can't tell you what to do, it's not my place.

What I will say to you is this: now that you are aware of it, I would not recommend you keeping schtum about earlier years. I say this because if they begin to look back into earlier years after this, they will view it more seriously because they will expect you to declare it now that you are aware that it ought to have been declared.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks for your indepth reply aunty Erika:-)!

I feel a little calmer after reading it. I was wondering if you could answer another question for me please? When I rang the tax credits to report that my husband had returned to work I didn't tell them about the pension credit. So will that be adjusted automatically after they have discovered my pension credits or do I have to phone them and tell them that too.

Thank you so very much.

Depends. If it's within the year that they are reviwing they should auto adjust it. If it was in a previous year, you'll need to tell them. They will find out eventually with the data matching scans that they perform (which is probably how they found out this time) but if you don't declare it, and they find out later, refer to my earlier post about declaring earlier years.

I'm glad you're feeling a little calmer now.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)