Conservatory - open book deal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay - help comments and advise desperately needed here people, so thanks in advance.:smile:

looking to install a rather large conservatory in the back, and had a super chap come quote me etc. as per normal did a bit of background research before agreeing to go ahead, and got a bit worried, companies house has them as registered last year not 26 yrs of trading - his answer is the new co name has bought out the old co name...

no web site - his answer is it is being rebuilt and goes live tomorrow.

no Fensa registration - his answer dont need it for conservatories, but he has got it for the other side of the business, bu Fensa did not seem to think so when i called.

I told him i could not deal with him, he has now come back to me and said why don't we do an "open Book" deal, where i pay the supplier direct for roof glass, and the conservatory panels, and i will get the guarantee directly from them. i would then pay the builders direct, and the electrician etc...

when i said, but what does he get from it, he said a 10% project management fee, that is all.

Does this not sound dodgy to you? i mean, why would he want to do this? essentially he is getting nothing from the sale for the conservatory, so why bother. he has lost a customer, his website is not up to scratch so to speak, and other things dont add up - he could just walk away.

or am i reading this totally wrong, he is legit and trying to prove it and prepaired to do a job at small profit to keep his name good...:| .

All comments gratefully received - as i am really uncertain which way to go with this co..

My advice is to buy the conservatory from a reputable company with a minimum 10 year under-written guarantee. If there is a problem with the base or the roof or the panels, the company u bought from are liable to repair any of the problematic parts. Simple. And you have an under-written guarantee. If you buy the component parts separately, you will certainly have problems having repairs, as each supplier may blame the other. 1 company is the best in my view. And dont use a builder. He may be out of business in 6 months, and therefore your guarantee is worthless.

Hi Wow - you are right. each supplier will blame each other and if there is ever a problem it wont get sorted.

i will do that. i just wonder why this chap is trying to do this "open book" thing. ever heard of it - it is a new [problem] thing going or am i just missing the point on it now a days...?

IMHO gut feeling is a very useful tool.

Clearly you have some gut feel that things do not sound right on this and if it were me I'd go with that feeling.

I wouldn't even bother to try and get to the bottom of it....just say no thanks and go to a reputable company

ims

honeybee - yup done that bit, and no website just a blogging site, no comments on them either way, no answers or comments on the blog site even! and like i mentioned companies house has them as registered last year, but he claims to be in existence over 20 yrs, but had lots of excuses like a new co bought them out last year, and the website is being re-furbed and just going live etc.

guess it is obvious once you think about it - I just struggled to think such a nice person, on 2 visits could be dodgy.. more fool me i guess.

Thanks to all who have commented, really appreciate it.