Potentially catastrophic rent review - what is a rent assessment committee please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have lived in a rented house for 4 years with this landlord. I have improved the property considerably. He wants a rent review and I am worried that they will put it up beyond my means ( I am struggling already).

I have a SAT agreement for the first six months and have been on a rolling lease for the last 4 years. The rent was put up a couple of years ago by agreement. The original lease says that "provided that the rent is assessed by a rent assessment committee, a notice of increase can be made..." Does this still apply to the tenancy?

What is a rent assessment committee please? If the proposed increase is out of my reach, is it worth asking for an independent review?

I have a good relationship with the landlord and his agents, but this is worrying me, as they say that the property is under rented.

The landlord arranged a surveyor to view the property before Christmas "for bank valuation purposes". I showed him the property and now the agents want to meet me to review the rent.

Grateful for any advice,

Rocky

The normal way of putting rent up (I'd have thought most landlords would do as follows if they want to raise the rent) would be to either issue a new tenancy agreement with an increased rent, or to issue a Section 13 notice to notify of a rent increase.

The Section 13 notice describes the procedure whereby a tenant can object to the proposed increase which is...through a Rent Assessment Committee which is supposed to be an independent review.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Privaterenting/Problemsanddisputes/DG_191684

I would guess the LL has simply asked the agency to do the "review" following which a Section 13 notice should be issued, following which you are entitled by Statute to appeal to the RAC if you think it is unfair. All the contract is doing is noting that it is in line with the law...I think.

Thanks Steve,

I intend to negotiate as best I can before I challenge and I guess I don't have a great deal of security.

Also I lost my credit rating due to illness and loss of work so getting a new property may be difficult. (I currently get hb and CT relief also).

Rocky

Sorry, it's actually written as an assured shorthold tenancy agreement taken out in late 1997 and has been rolled forward without any modification.

Shelter's analysis (although I am in Wales):You have a periodic assured shorthold tenancy

This means that your landlord can probably evict you by giving you the correct written notice and then either:

using one or more of the grounds that can be used during the fixed term, or

giving you two months' notice at any time - if they do this they do not need to prove a reason. This is sometimes called the 'shorthold ground'.

Useful link, thank you. Good to know where I stand.

Rocky

Sorry, it's actually written as an assured shorthold tenancy agreement taken out in late 1997 and has been rolled forward without any modification.

Shelter's analysis (although I am in Wales):You have a periodic assured shorthold tenancy

This means that your landlord can probably evict you by giving you the correct written notice and then either:

using one or more of the grounds that can be used during the fixed term, or

giving you two months' notice at any time - if they do this they do not need to prove a reason. This is sometimes called the 'shorthold ground'.

Useful link, thank you. Good to know where I stand.

My apologies in advance if i got this wrong,but are you now saying you moved in late 1997 !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...