Jump to content

Tenants are scared the boiler gonna blow.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Health and safety executive site all the info is here




Gas safety - landlords and letting agents



As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe. You are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues,appliances and pipework which you own and have provided for your tenants use by a Gas Safe registered external.gif[3] engineer . Although there is no prescribed timeframe for these duties, good practice would be the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent repairs.


You are also responsible for ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance or flue which you provide and annually thereafter by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.




Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen!


I have a suspicion that smth is going wrong with our boiler. It started to make a suspicious noise(not always, but from time to time). The radiators now are not that hot as they used to be, because the boiler stopped heating them properly all of a sudden. They are twice less warm than usual.

I believe it is the LL duty to check the boiler regularly, once a year. He did it only once in a 5/6 years time. It happened 2 or three years ago when I smelled gas. But I still haven't got a copy of that visit. He didn't even instructed me with basic knowledge of using boiler..

Well, I'm really scared it may explode...


I want to notify him with an sms. I'd like to know which words should I tell him to make him react to my plea immediately. Coz I know him, he may start explaining me what I can screw there or unscrew. Or he may even not pick up the phone.


Could anyone please tell me where should I address if I can't reach my landlord straight away?

In the morning I'm going to text him the following message, what do you think of this text:


"Hi Mr XXX. Can you please urgently arrange a visit of your CORGI-registered engineer to check what's happening with our boiler? It stopped heating the radiators properly and produces very suspicious noise. We are really worried about gas safety, all the tenants are scared that the boiler may explode."


Please tell me what else do you think would be reasonable to mention in my sms and whom should I contact in case I won't manage to get through to my LL.


Thank you very much in advance.

  • Confused 1



Debt & Loads of it....


Advice offered by Geordie911 is not supported by any legal training or qualification, and opinions given here are for informational purposes only. They are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Use your own judgment and use due diligence. You are advised to seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional. I take no responsibility for any undue or adverse circumstances or results which may arise from you’re following the information I have given in my post.

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...