Carer's Allowance - I want to report someone in the family for fraud, what do I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi and good evening, Firstly I apologise for hijacking this thread but I cannot seem to find the link to create a new thread. I have a dilemma, a member of the family has been claiming carer's allowance and has not been carrying out this role for the 2 or so years that they have been claiming the allowance. The person being cared for and is unwell again and is in hospital. Basically the carer has never cared for them 35 hours a week, 2 hours at most and that is being generous! I want to shop her BUT am conscious that the person being cared for may be culpable. Can anyone help at all? Once sorry for hijacking and I hope someone can help me. Regards

Why would the person being cared for be culpable? It's not them that's claiming fraudulently.

If you are certain that the person is fraudulently claiming, then by all means report them. You can report fraud here

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

If the person who is being cared for is in hospital and has been for over twenty eight days, then the DLA for that person would cease. This should result in the Carers Allowance for the family member getting suspended untill the DP comes out of hospital...

Perhaps the Dept doesnt know therefore that the DP is in hospital.....

Thank you. The issue we have is that we live outside the UK and the person claiming the benefit is not a pleasant person and is likely to intimidate and upset the the person being cared for to such an extent it may affect his health. Also, I believe he wants to say something but dare not as he feels intimidated by this. We won't be around to put out the flames so to speak

Have you spoken to social services, They could go round have speak to the person being cared for, they may even provide a care system for him, with much better care.

Explain to social services your concerns and they will look into this for you.

Social services are a great help to the elderly and disabled, they will certainly make sure he gets the care and other services he needs. Give them a ring and see what sort of help they can provide.

I agree. If this person is at risk, and it sounds like they may well be, please contact the Social Work department.

If you don't have the details for the relevent social work department, then please press the black triangle (it has an '!' inside the triangle) on the bottom of my post. A new page will open asking you to report the post and it will have a box for you to type in details. In there, type in the area that the disabled person normally resides in. I don't need a full address, just a general area. Then then click 'send report'. I and other members of the Site Team (moderators) will get the message. Nobody else will see it. I will then find contact details for the relevant Social Work department and will send them to you in a private message.

Please tell me this 'carer' isn't acting as an appointee too - getting the DLA on the disabled person's behalf and dealing with his claims?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Please tell me this 'carer' isn't acting as an appointee too - getting the DLA on the disabled person's behalf and dealing with his claims?

I hope it isnt that far Erika.. Just wondering, if he is still in hospital he can speak with the head nurse and get her to contact the social team from there.

yuffyuff, is he still in hospital, if so perhaps you could call them and request a social worker pop in and see him urgently.

As Erika has said there will always be some one here to pick up a report.