• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Very.co.uk Debt, Advice needed

James220
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I fell into arrears with Very just over 12months ago mainly due to loosing my job and the insane interest and charges very charge there customers,

I contacted them many times by phone to try and come to a reasonable payment arrangement but there never was one offered,

I continued to pay some money every month(Half than what they were willing to accept)

some months and many charges later They then moved the account to NDR money which is there debt collecting department,

So I contacted them again to try and arrange a payment plan and after a long discusion they said they would freeze the interest for 12months

if i paid a min of £100 per month of which i agreed on the amount but not the date as I did'n't get paid untill after the date they needed payment each month

so the late payment charges would continue,

I was unable to keep The £100 payment up after 3 months due to realising i couldn't afford to pay it

so I sent them £40 instead and have done so for the past 6 months even though the interest was froze the £12 monthly debt collection letter charge continued,

They started adding £105.92 monthly interest again in december

Now this month I received a letter telling me they will be transfering the debt of £3,907 to a outside debt collection agency unless i pay £2.325 withing 10 days,

Very really are useless at helping there customers when they fall into financial trouble, They never offered me a reasonable payment arrangement paid monthly on a date that suited my income and always requested more money than would have been the original minimum payment before I fell into arrears,

Very have charged me £267 in interest and charges this past 2 months even though I continued to send them £40 every month,

Can anyone advice on my next steps? before they sell the debt on as i'm really stressed and unsure how to proceed??

Can I at least get any of the charges back before they sell the debt on?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Edited by James220

go get reclaiming

ALL those penalty fees are reclaimable + the interest they have added to them.

fill this out:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

then sar time

without a fight, you can go back 6yrs

but if the charges go further back

i'd include them all

lets argue about their stance on that later.

many cat companies have coughed.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

In my opinion you should also raise a formal complaint and make sure the letter is headed as such. The way they have treated you knowing that you were in financial difficulties beggars belief.

To get a Consumer Credit Licence, Very must agree to the debt collection guidance.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT664Rev.pdf

Have a read and see just how they are not following it

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

then sar time

without a fight, you can go back 6yrs

but if the charges go further back

i'd include them all

lets argue about their stance on that later.

many cat companies have coughed.

dx

Thanks again Dx, I'm in the process of the SAR letter but I want to ensure i send it to the right address to avoid any delays,

Would you say the address on the latest letter with the default notice is the right address starting with: "Shop Direct Finance"?

Also should i make the £10 cheque out to shop direct finance or just "Very"?

Thanks again for your help

This address is from the Very site

Data Protection Unit, Park Lane, Netherton, Liverpool L72 1LQ.

As for who to make it payable to. I can't find anything on their site

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks alot Silverfox and Rebel,

I'll get this posted out first thing tomorrow via recorded post,

Hopefully they wont take to long in sending me past statements so i can calulate all the charges,

I take it i can only reclaim the £12 late payment and debt collection letter fees with interest added to the fee amount? None of the regular Ripoff interest on the account can be reclaimed?

Hi James

Only the charges plus interest, heres the spready:- http://www.shweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/interestcalcs.xls

But regarding interest, read the following:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?845-UK-Consumers-Should-can-use-statutory-rights

Thanks alot Silverfox and Rebel,

I'll get this posted out first thing tomorrow via recorded post,

Hopefully they wont take to long in sending me past statements so i can calulate all the charges,

I take it i can only reclaim the £12 late payment and debt collection letter fees with interest added to the fee amount? None of the regular Ripoff interest on the account can be reclaimed?

dont forget i'm pretty sure you have online access to these accounts too

most shop direct accounts have it.

dx

and they

dont forget i'm pretty sure you have online access to these accounts too

most shop direct accounts have it.

dx

Yes I have online account access but can only view statments/charges going back 8months

thats a bummer

crafty lot

dx

and they

Hi Steve, Sorry to hear you also had the missfortune to deal with this awfull company,

When you say original agreement do you mean when i opened a account with them or when i set up the so called reduced payment arrangement?

I have only ever made contact with very over the phone so this will be the first time writing to them even though They will have probably sold the debt on to a debt collect agency by the end of the month,

I phoned them again a few days ago to request a new repayment plan due to receiving another default notice and the interest and other charges still being added to the account,

There responce was they cannot give me 'another plan' because i failed to keep up with the last one of £100 per month, Also the debt was in the process of being sold to a outside debt collection agency unless i could pay over 2 grand within 10 working days, (so there waiting to see which dca bids the highest for my debt)

Oh yes they also said they might be able set me up a new plan to pay £400 a month but thats all they have on there system to offer me!

As you can expect I laughed and said thanks for nothing then hung up the phone,

I have always made a payment of at least £40 per month whie in arrears but as you can expect its always been sucked up in charges and the debts just increased over time,

For the first time ever I just made a payment of £1 this month thinking whats the point in me sending all this money its just going into thin air!

Edited by James220

james

you really need to cut the phonecalls with them

and now a dca might be on the scene

you def need to do it

never ever discuss your debts on the phone

you are under no legal obl to do so.

if anyone phones

just say writing only pleae

and the phone down.

dca's have nolegal powers to do nowt

get that SAR off pronto.

dx

and they

another default notice!? there should only be one?

anyway, when writing remind them of the Lending Code (on cag) which says that where there are financial difficulties/token payments interest and charges should stop.

otherwise, could do a cca request also. as steve says, that will give them something to think about

Edited by Ford

you need to becareful here

99% of catalogue co's operate under the term

that your first order is your agreement

and by ordering you agree to their T&C. etcetc

they send an agreement out to sign

but 90% of people never return it.

dx

they dont HAVE to have a signed agreement.

and they

you need to becareful here

99% of catalogue co's operate under the term

that your first order is your agreement

and by ordering you agree to their T&C. etcetc

they send an agreement out to sign

but 90% of people never return it.

dx

they dont HAVE to have a signed agreement.

So is it worth me requesting the agreement then if what you say is how they work?

IMHO no

dx

and they

what you need to look at here is the way it would go:

you go before a judge saying

'this ain't my debt mate'

judge says:

well hang-on, i have here lists of orders and statements in your name

and payment previously made to the company

etc etc etc.

you still gonna say its not mine?

the days of wriggling out of debts through 'paperwork errors 'are LONG GONE.

however

as pointed

there is no harm in getting one for a quid

how in this instance it can ever help you

is difficult to understand in reality.

dx

and they

totally agree steve

but

in all of this its the POSTER that will be in court

throwing in everything about the banks being unfair etc etc

is a bit of a steep learning curve for a newbie

and a very daunting escapade.

its been claimed that most of the people that avocate this route

by fair means or foul or under the carpet contact or

get ahold of these posters and say i'll represent you for a fee

we'll do this and do that in court and win

and when it comes down to it, they dsiappear

in a puff of smoke or slide off to other consumer websites.

so you need to be VERY CAREFUL

upon WHY these people are stating these things.

and to your queston of CCA and court

yes they can take you to court with no signed agreement as in my post above.

dx

and they

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks