• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comet Dishwasher - SOGA ***** Success but only after LBA *****

ims21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just posting this so that folks can see how I progress with Comet. Personally I have not had any dealings with them in the past so I approach my forthcoming dealings with them with an open mind.

Brief synopsis is that dishwasher purchased 21 December. Noticed over the Christmas period that stuff on the lower level wasn't being cleaned properly. I looked after Christmas and found the lower spray arm wasn't revolving so there's the problem identified.

Cause of that problem unknown as yet.

Have called Comet Cust Service like a good boy. 5 Mins or so wait but have booked engineer and appointment date Tuesday 17th.

Have got my reference number from chap on the phone (and his name too).

I will give them one chance to put this right and if not it is straight in with requirement for replacement and if I get messed around I will issue.

I will not pussy foot with them.

I'll update as I go, even if it is a very short thread and they resolve the issue immediately.

ims

sometimes they are not clipped in properly

you can remove them for cleaning

there is also sometimes a restrainer that has to be removed from each before first use

does it spin by hand?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

water getting through ?

its the water that makes it spin and wash...yea i know !!

i've found before bits of expanded polystyrene in the shute down from the top or up from the bottom.

find out where it gets its water feed from and make sure it lines up and it not blocked

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

a man after my own heart.......

sadly .......... and i'm going to have to say it .........

i had a failure on my tablet pc of 2yrs of age some time back

took it down PCworld

was back in my hands, having been off to HP and back in 18days

!!!!

god that hurt........

dx

and they

Well sadly Comet have fallen at the first hurdle.

When I arranged the engineer visit I had agreed an afternoon call today (17th) due to work commitments this morning. Customer service chap said OK although the norm is to arrange any time during the day appointments. So anyway...afternoon was agreed.

Phone call from engineer this morning saying he will be here between 10:30 and 12:00.

No good says I.....I'm working this morning and told him had agreed afternoon.

No can do says he...you are the last one in the area and they book all day appointments.

Ok I says well you can come between those hours but no-one will be here as afternoon was agreed.

Anyway, long and short of it is they had their chance to look at it so when I get back from work, Comet will receive my polite request for a replacement.

Be interesting to see what they say.

Will update as soon as..

ims

Ok

So visited the Comet store to politely request a replacement and told them that I am now formally rejecting the goods and that I require a replacement.

Got told that sorry ims, we cannot authorise that in store, only H/O can do that. They also said the usual about their right to inspect etc. etc.

Told myself to keep calm ims and explained that within the time frame we are talking about (less than 28 days in this case) I can formally reject the faulty goods and their wanting to examine makes no difference to me or anything else for that matter.

Polite discussion ensued but store manager still insistent that the stores do not authorise so I think to myself OK give them rope to hang themselves. So decided to play the game with them.

Have now e-mailed H/O formally rejecting the appliance and telling them that I want a replacement...when will they have it either ready for collection form their store (I'll help them minimise reasonable costs) or when will it be delivered to me.

Their web site e-mail says they reply within 24 hours to questions so, to be reasonable I will give them 48 hours to respond.

Have typed up Letter Before Action which will be sent to their Registered Office if no answer or if they mess about

ims

Hi ims21 ,

COMET will insist on examining your washer I would bet on .

The plus side is if you do manage to have an engineer call in the afternoon , as the washer is under 28 days old the engineer will be authorising a replacement within 2 minutes of being in your kitchen , a quick and easy job for him no matter what the fault is , and you will be quite happy as well I would think .

These kind of exchanges have nothing to do with their Head Office either the simple fact is your washer is under 28 days old .

Just to add once again , once a Retail Store or elsewhere in CometLand has got the Sale they are quick to wash their hands

(no pun intended)

of any problem which may arise regarding a faulty product and the buck is passed to their Service bit so to speak.

As far as a refund goes well that is another question with another answer I would suggest.

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

Thanks GB

This is also a bit of a test for Comet's Customer Service to see if they do the right thing and more to the point see if they do it quickly and in accordance with SOGA.

Not impressed thus far but we'll see how it pans out over the next day or so

ims

So Comet e-mail back saying same old stuff about all day call when they agreed to afternoon.

Still saying they require to inspect before a resolution can be reached.

Have told them LBA being sent recorded delivery to their registered office. LBA gives them 7 days to replace or refund in full.

Will allow the 7 days from when the LBA is signed for.

Day 8 and court papers will be issued.

ims

Well nothing substantial to report other than Comet still e-mailing saying they want to inspect to see how to resolve the issue.

Have told them there is no choice now....refund or replace.

They even told me they will be coming out on a particular day next week to look at it.....not even "can we make an appointment" or "will you be around".

Have e-mailed telling them there is now only one of two ways they can resolve....pay back the purchase price or deliver new machine.

LBA sent to registered office today

ims

You could highlight the main points of the SOGA that specifically apply to your case, get them to tell you why they don't thing the SOGA doesn't apply in your case. Also remember Comets never tested the product before they sold it to you.

or chargeback in 24hrs if they dont

and they wil have to pay collection too!

dx

and they

Hi reb

Yes, thanks.

Funnily enough I did put in a paragraph to the effect that I would be interested to know on what grounds they feel SOGA doesn't apply.

It is rather annoying that they do not want to do the right thing. I appreciate they do not test everything before sale and it could be that there is a "batch" of machines suffering the same fault. What galls me is that a customer goes through the procedures of informing their "Customer Service" team of the problem and give them a chance to have a look at it by way of an appointment which they failed to honour.

Next the customer attends the store from where the item was bought and the customer gets little or no help there either.

Then they attempt to wriggle via the e-mail complaints and to top it all then tell me when they are coming out with so much as a by your leave or even finding out if I'm available.

I have formally rejected the goods in writing already.

We will see if the LBA makes anyone sit up and listen.

Regards

ims

Hi ims21 ,

COMET will insist on examining your washer I would bet on .

The plus side is if you do manage to have an engineer call in the afternoon , as the washer is under 28 days old the engineer will be authorising a replacement within 2 minutes of being in your kitchen , a quick and easy job for him no matter what the fault is , and you will be quite happy as well I would think .

These kind of exchanges have nothing to do with their Head Office either the simple fact is your washer is under 28 days old .

Just to add once again , once a Retail Store or elsewhere in CometLand has got the Sale they are quick to wash their hands

(no pun intended)

of any problem which may arise regarding a faulty product and the buck is passed to their Service bit so to speak.

As far as a refund goes well that is another question with another answer I would suggest.

Hi ims ,

I know I may sound like a stuck record , but I still think my post regarding your washer is how it will be rightly or wrongly and will give you the best solution .

As I said the Retail Store is no longer interested , which you have found out , which is bad enough .

The buck has ben passesd to the "Service Bit" so to speak they want to examine your washer before the next move .......... which would be an authorised exchange as your faulty washer is a Under 28 days old .

This would be the best way to resolve your ongoing issue I would suggest as anything else could take days and maybe weeks .

Their "Service Bit" wants to examine the machine before it is considered for an exchange .

It now boils down to (or it may have passed !) you getting a PM call by an COMET Engineer which seems to be the main issue , and this cannot NOW be guaranteed by COMET albeit when you raised the initial Service call you were told a PM call would not be a problem !

Once again no departments work together with the one goal of providing an excellent customer service , they all do their own thing .

Which I am afraid is just not good enough and is getting much worse it would seem !

Just to add anything is now possible to resolve this by COMET as your ongoing issues are now on CAG .

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

Hi ims ,

I know I may sound like a stuck record , but I still think my post regarding your washer is how it will be rightly or wrongly and will give you the best solution .

As I said the Retail Store is no longer interested , which you have found out , which is bad enough .

The buck has ben passesd to the "Service Bit" so to speak they want to examine your washer before the next move .......... which would be an authorised exchange as your faulty washer is a Under 28 days old .

This would be the best way to resolve your ongoing issue I would suggest as anything else could take days and maybe weeks .

Their "Service Bit" wants to examine the machine before it is considered for an exchange .

It now boils down to (or it may have passed !) you getting a PM call by an COMET Engineer which seems to be the main issue , and this cannot NOW be guaranteed by COMET albeit when you raised the initial Service call you were told a PM call would not be a problem !

Once again no departments work together with the one goal of providing an excellent customer service , they all do their own thing .

Which I am afraid is just not good enough and is getting much worse it would seem !

Just to add anything is now possible to resolve this by COMET as your ongoing issues are now on CAG .

Hi GB

No I don't think you are a stuck record and I'm grateful for your input on the thread.

As I say, I was more than happy for them to come and have a look. I took them at their word that a PM appointment would be OK ( after all, why wouldn't I) and they failed to honour it.

In fact, if they had the courtesy to call me and agree with me when they want to come I'd still let them look at it if they want to. That part of it makes no difference to the eventual outcome which will be refund/replace.

What I object to is them telling me when they are coming without making an arrangement and assuming that I will be available for them. I've already taken half a day off work for the previous appointment which they failed to honour and they think that at a drop of a hat I can take another day off.

I also wanted to go through a "process" with this which is why I started with report to Customer Services, then to the store and now in e-mail correspondence with them. Explore and exhaust the avenues as it were.

Also to relay my experiences here for the benefit of others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a grumpy old man whinging about a dishwasher.

Because I have been unlucky in receiving faulty goods, it presented an opportunity to test their procedures and provide a narrative here on CAG.

As I say I am grateful for your contribution and I know the issue will be resolved. They could have made this really easy but have chosen not to...so lets see which way it goes now.

ims

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

Totally correct rebel hence the reason COMET would want the Washer examined by one of their engineers so this can be established .

They do not exchange products or issue refunds in this kind of instance before they have examined the obviously inherently faulty product , and as the norm do not go on the hearsay of a customer beforehand regarding a fault or not "performing to contract " .

They decide not the Customer in most cases .

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi GB

No I don't think you are a stuck record and I'm grateful for your input on the thread.

As I say, I was more than happy for them to come and have a look. I took them at their word that a PM appointment would be OK ( after all, why wouldn't I) and they failed to honour it.

In fact, if they had the courtesy to call me and agree with me when they want to come I'd still let them look at it if they want to. That part of it makes no difference to the eventual outcome which will be refund/replace.

What I object to is them telling me when they are coming without making an arrangement and assuming that I will be available for them. I've already taken half a day off work for the previous appointment which they failed to honour and they think that at a drop of a hat I can take another day off.

I also wanted to go through a "process" with this which is why I started with report to Customer Services, then to the store and now in e-mail correspondence with them. Explore and exhaust the avenues as it were.

Also to relay my experiences here for the benefit of others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a grumpy old man whinging about a dishwasher.

Because I have been unlucky in receiving faulty goods, it presented an opportunity to test their procedures and provide a narrative here on CAG.

As I say I am grateful for your contribution and I know the issue will be resolved. They could have made this really easy but have chosen not to...so lets see which way it goes now.

ims

Yes you are quite correct ims it is the whole procedure which is wrong from start to finish , unfortunately you are only half way there at the moment .

As I have said in previous posts COMET finds it difficult to do the simple things correctly when it comes to dealing with customers regarding "Customer Service" when things go wrong and it is simply just not good enough .

They have got the theory right in most cases but fail to carry out the basics in practice which your Customer experience has already shown so far .

This could turn out to be a long thread ims but keep us informed .

I am sure your blogs will be a benefit to many customers with similar issues .

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

Ok we're getting there..

lba arrived with them yesterday.

Received e-mail today agreeing to an exchange and giving me an exchange reference number.

All I have to do (apparently) is pop into the selling store, give them the number and away we go.

Hopefully coming to a conclusion.

ims

Excellent.:wink:

Ok we're getting there..

lba arrived with them yesterday.

Received e-mail today agreeing to an exchange and giving me an exchange reference number.

All I have to do (apparently) is pop into the selling store, give them the number and away we go.

Hopefully coming to a conclusion.

ims

Final update.

Took excahnge not to Comet today and came away with a replaecement machine. So this matter is now resolved. Just a shame that Comet tried to wriggle out of their responsibilities under SOGA and it took the Letter Before Action to get them to take notice.

Note to Comet (if their CAG rep ever logs on again) - >Another customer lost...I won't be dealing with Comet again.

ims