Revodyelsel69 - Problems with Curves gym and MCA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am also receiving letters from MCA regarding a Curves membership.

I was a member at a Curves gym until I incurred an injury in April 2011. I was unable to attend for months whilst undergoing treatment for the injury but continued paying my membership. I visited the gym again in September & the injury hurt so much that I was ill after the gym visit. The next day I sent a letter explaining & cancelled my membership. I continued paying my direct debit until the November payment was taken from the bank (giving more than the required month's notice). In December I received the 1st letter from MCA stating I owed money to Curves & their "administration fee". I sent a letter back the next day. This week I have received another letter from MCA (no mention of my December letter to them) with further charges added. I took advice from the thread above & sent recorded delivery letters to both Curves & MCA.

Having spoken to Curves they have waived all of their charges & informed me that they really should have stopped my membership fees from the date of my injury. Today I have received another letter from MCA stating I owe them a £25 cancellation fee. I rang them & they say this is to cover their administration. I explained there was never an issue in the 1st place as I did everything as requested in the agreement & actually paid more tha I needed to. They are not cancelling this.

I would be grateful for your advice to end this ridiculous farce please.

Edited by revodyelsel69

Hi Revody and welcome to CAG

I've moved your post into your own thread to avoid hijacking.

I assume you've had nothing from the gym in writing to confirm that they consider the matter closed with you owing nothing further. This is why we try to keep everything in writing only. MCA will probably deny that anything has been resolved or agreed.

So, even though the gym has now said all is fine and they've waived their charges, this will not stop their admin company chasing you for further alleged sums due.

If you haven't already done so, cancel the DD mandate immediately by writing to your bank.

Write to MCA using Recorded Delivery saying:-

Dear sir or madam,

Curves Gym - xxxxxxxx [Town]

1. I have spoken to Curves gym and they have said they should, in fact, have cancelled my membership when I was first injured and unable to use the gym.

2. They have agreed to waive any alleged outstanding charges and consider the contract ended with no further amounts due.

3. Your admin or cancellation fees are not enforceable at law and will not be paid.

4. I dispute owing anything further to the gym and I have no business with MCA. Accordingly, you must consider this matter to be in clear dispute and stop contacting me demanding money.

5. If you contact me further, I will report you to Trading Standards and to the OFT who are taking a keen interest in the behaviour of gym admin companies. In this connection, you may wish to read about the High Court case of the OFT -v- Ashbourne Managements Services Ltd which resulted in an Enforcement Order against AMSL last summer.

Yours faithfully,

See how they respond.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Slick

I did as you suggested & sent the letter. I have received another one back today (30/01/11) - dated 24/01/11 giving me 7 days to pay - it was sent 2nd class!

It says - we would like to respectfully reminfd you that you are legally bound to pay the full amount of money regardless of whether you attend the club or not.In accordance with the Membership Agreement t & c's, on behalf of Curves, the cancellation of your membership will be accepted upon receipt of £25.

Please can you help???? I am so stressed with this.

Hi Revody,

Please don't let this cause you stress. Gym admin company staff have difficulty in seeing or hearing anything they don't want to see or hear !

I suggest you simply write back saying :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your letter of 24th January which, for some obscure reason, refers to payments being required whether I use the gym or not.

You have failed to address the specific points which I made in my letter to you of xxdate.

As you appear not to read letters properly, this is the last one I shall send you.

As clearly stated in my previous letter to you, I will :-

1. Pay you nothing further for the reasons already stated.

2. Report your continuing demands to the OFT as a breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines.

Yours faithfully,

Alternatively, if you feel it would be worthwhile paying them the £25 to give you peace of mind, you could do this to close the matter.

The choice is yours but you should not let them bully or intimidate you into paying if you don't want to.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Slick

Once again I did as you suggested & sent another letter with the relevant info in it. I have had another back again saying the same thing - we would like to respectfully reminfd you that you are legally bound to pay the full amount of money regardless of whether you attend the club or not. In accordance with the Membership Agreement t & c's, on behalf of Curves, the cancellation of your membership will be accepted upon receipt of £25.

I also requested their Company registration details as I said I was going to report them to Trading Standards. They have replied saying they don't have one!

I also note that they wish me to pay the alleged owing £25 over the telephone with no other alternative payment option. Is this legal? I know I would not be happy giving my card details over the phone to a total stranger.

Thanks again

Hi Revody,

They are STILL going on about whether you used the club or not, despite you saying in your last letter that your dispute was not about that at all !!

It is now time to do what you said - IGNORE THEM !!

It really is not your fault that they are unable to read and respond to simple correspondence.

Ignore them for now and report back about what they do next.

Telephone payments are their favoured option because, once it's cleared on their system, they are happy. Much better for them than you promising to "send a cheque in the next few days".

Don't worry about whether they give you a company registration. If you need to report them to Trading Standards or the OFT, you can do so without it.