Faulty Computer item

drifter104
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a motherboard from an online retailer back in Jan 2010 along with a cpu and ram. I had a fault with both the ram and motherboard and they were exchanged around June 2010.

I recently purchased a new hard drive and found that the motherboard does not offer a particular feature it was described as having. Although I've only just found this out, there was no way of knowing it was missing this feature untill I had purchased a new hard drive. Basically a type of connection on this board is suppose to be able to offer speeds up to 6Gb/s, and it can actually only offer speeds lower than that. It can not and does not support that speed.

I've raised the issue with the retailer and the inital response was that it is described as having "up to" 6Gb/s. I replied pointing out that this motherboard does not offer that, and am now waiting for a reply.

Having dug a little deeper even if they offer an exchange they currently only stock one other item that would work with my cpu and ram (purchased at the same time as the motherboard) and that actually has the same part and therefore the same issue. As they were purchased together would I have any grounds to ask them to exchange the CPU and RAM as well?

At the moment if they swap the motherboard for something that does offer those speeds. I'd have to spend around another £350 replacing the CPU and RAM. Something I'm not happy to do as I purchased all 3 together because they were all designed to work together.

That was my first thought but with broadband for example its not that the equipment (line/modem/exchange) that can't do that speed. Put it another way if virgin turned round and said you can have 50mb broadband, and you can get the whole 50mb but then only put in a cable that could support 40mb they have mis sold the product, even if they advertise up to 50mb, because you can't get it with what they provided.

it is an msi x58-gd65 by the way.

It does say Up to 6Gb/s Data Transfer Bandwidth and thats dependant on the type of drive your using. If your using a 7200RPM drive then i doubt you will get close but if you was to use a solid state drive then it should hit very close to that.

Thats just it, up until recently only been using standard 7200rpm, but have just got a ssdd and this is how I've found the problem. Also the chipset itself reports it can only run at 5Gb/s and is only running at 2.5Gb/s but neither msi or retailer can work out to get the 5Gb/s. Either way it certainly doesn't do up to 6, it only does up to 5.

here may be the answer, is it bits or bytes, (EG - 1 megabit - 1 megabyte)

By increasing the transfer rate up to 6Gb/s or 600 MB/s (megabytes per second), SATA

technology enables faster transfer of short bursts of data to and from the drive cache.

The faster 600MB/s transfer rates of SATA 6Gb/s provide a speedier, cost-effective solution and

an easier upgrade path for high-bandwidth applications in the future. Unlike other interfaces, the

SATA protocol is optimized for storage devices to provide the most efficient native drive

interface.

Have a read of the link below..

http://www.sata-io.org/documents/SATA-Revision-3.0-FAQ-FINAL.pdf

Just done a bit more digging and from what i can tell from reviews and replies there is ment to be a driver and bios update to resolve the problem released at some point, just don't say when.

So yes, not as described but possible to do as described if they get there finger out with updates.

Thank you for those.

Having read those links I'm happy that the item was not as described. The only two things that concern me are:-

1) the time period - I know this is the million dollar question but in this instance would 18 months beconsidered reasonable to have discovered this. I think it is because it isn't something that is "used" until it is needed, and I only used once an item needed replacing.

2) the items i brought with it - While on the same sale they are not faulty. However I don't believe the retailer will be able to supply me a replacement (if I get to that point) that will be able to offer the missing feature and work with the other items I purchased for use with the motherboard. In this case would I be within my rights to ask for them to be replaced as well? I fear not which leaves me out of pocket as I would need to replace them.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go down the "partial refund route" and ask for the price of a 6gb/sec sata card. The spec says "Up to 6gb/sec" I would expect them to hide behind that. It may well be worth the £30 or so it would cost them to have the matter settled, but as it was 6 months ago, I wouldn't bank on it