Royal Mail Special Delivery refund - or not

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just before Christmas last year I recycled my old phone and used o2 recycle for this purpose.

O2 suggest that handsets over a certain value should be sent using Special Delivery so I sent the phone using this service to the address that is given by o2 - this is a normal address rather than the freepost PO box address that they ask you to send it to if you don't use Special Delivery.

My phone took 2 days to arrive and I phoned up customer services who initially told me that they would give me a refund of the postage and I had to fill in a form and send in the proof of postage with the tracking number on.

Today, I get a letter back from Royal Mail saying they are not going to give me the postage back as "The address is not recognised as valid within our records"

and that one of their conditions of posting is that all mail must display a correct full address including the postcode

The address that I sent the o2 recycle phone to did indeed have a full address and postcode,which I checked using streetmap so is it worth getting this escalated or just leaving it as the Royal Mail just seem to want to give any excuse not to give me a refund.

Blakey

Hi Blake

Welcome to CAG

Your clearly unhappy about it so its definately worth pursuing. Complain via e-mail to keep costs down.

You could write to Moya Greene, Chief Executive, [email protected]

Mark it Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, Explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do.

O2 Recycle is handled by a company called Redeem. Their address is as follows:

Redeem plc

Unit C-E

Etna Road

FALKIRK

FK2 9EG

If this address is exactly the same as the one O2 gave you, then Royal Mail have made a mistake as this address appears on the address finder on their website, so I would send them a screenshot of this to prove the address is correct. If O2 have given you a different address, then it is their mistake and you should probably take it up with them. If the address is wrong then it doesn't explain how the item got their (although the incorrect address could have caused the day's delay).

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

After sending the item I noticed the next day after it was sent (the day it SHOULD have been delivered) that the track and trace facility on the Royal Mail web site said that my item was progressing through their network and to check back on progress later on...

The day after it said the item was out for delivery!

I'll let you know how I get on as I will be complaining to the email address above :)

• 5 months later...

Royal Mail have their own 'internal' Track and Trace which shows where the item is every time that it is scanned and gives far more information than the site that the public have access to. Go to your local office and ask the people on the fron desk if they can give you a Track and Trace print out. They are usually very helpful as they are as unhappy with bad service/lies as the public are.

Hope this helps