Virgin Holidays: "Oops we didn't charge you enough"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help with a similar situation or knows where i stand on this?

I booked some hotel accommoadtion (no flights) with Virgin Holidays in one of their retail concessions. The booking was just over £1000 and they requested payment in full, which I did.

Around a week later i got a call from them saying there had been a "mistake in data entry" and they had undercharged us - and the hotel should actually have been £2500. They then requested that we call back in and pay the balance, or accept a full refund (but then we dont have our booking).

My view on this is that it's their fault they made a mistake and i entered into the agreement with them, and made payment in full as requested, for which I have a till receipt and emailed booking invoice.

I have argued this point with them for some time now, and after some time they've made a 50/50 offer on the difference now making the booking £1750 (or we can still cancel).

They have also said that if they'd issued the booking confirmation by post they would *probably* have honoured it, but as they haven't yet, and the QA team have picked it up, they're not obliged (or going) to.

Anyone help?

Thanks lots

A bit more info, please.

What was the advertised price of the holiday? Was it the lower price or was it at the higher price and it was simply that it was incorrectly keyed later on? In other words what was the cost when you saw the holiday and you were making the contract?

Hi There,

Thanks for the quick response. We never saw an advertised price as such. We went into store and asked what they would be able to do for us.

The sales person tapped away and quoted the price (nothing was printed). We checked with the other parties involved in the holiday and agreed it sounded a great price. Se we went back a few days later and simply paid the amount requested. They started the booking (or retrieved it) and the price was still the same, so we agreed and they processed the booking, we then paid up and left.

(It may be worth noting, that the assistant did show us the screen with a list of hotels and prices, one of which was ours. She clicked on it and went through - so the error was not simply a typo by her at the time of booking)

Then a week later we simply got a phone call saying it was wrong....

Then I think that you are probably in the right.

When is the holiday? I can't imagine that you will be able to force Virgin to honour the agreement without a court battle

It's a bit tight to bring an action and know that it is going to work for you and to get your booking confirmed. A bit of a bind.

Of course, if you happen to lose, then you are without a holiday.

I think that you will have to think about it all.

You could decide to accept the refund but under protest and make it clear that you will be coming back with a court claim

Also, you could pay in full - under protest and then begin the action to get a refund.

If you could afford it then that is the best way forward. You are relaxed about the holiday. you begin the action and maybe you win and get your refund in time to spend it on holiday.

Quite a fair chance that they will back down before court - this is NOT a guarantee. - And don't forget, there is a chance of losing

Ok that may be an option them.

One minor complication (i think) may be that we paid for the holiday with Debenhams - as that's where the Virgin concession is. So would that mean that my contract/transaction was actually with Debenhams and not Virgin? My till receipt is from Debenhams, but my "Booking Invoice" is with Virgin...

Well presumably they were using Virgin's system?? I'd say go against Virgin. However I suppose that each will try to pass the buck.

If you are going to pay the balance then make sure that they have it in writing that the payment is in protest and that you will be proceeding for a refund.

Once your holiday is secure - you have the booking confirmation, send Virgin and Debenhams each a full clear statement outlining what has happened and that you want a refund in 7 days.

If they don't respond or they don't offer it then send them a 7 day LBA and then sue. Don't make the thread if you don't intend to do it.

If they offer you part payment then make it clear in writing that you are accepting it on account and that you are proceeding for the balance.

Do everything in writing. Nothing verbally.