New CAB debt tool & online Assisted Self Help Debt Management Plan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The only advantage I can see from looking at the link is that you end up with an authorised Income & Expenditure sheet and have access to an advisor.

Hi

Yes, true

The problem is from what I can see (I stand corrected if I am wrong) is that you need an invite, still have to see or speak to an adviser, then see or speak to an an adviser again to 'unlock' the 'system' if you wish to change anything in the future: for example change of circumstances, however it can still used it in a more basic form but minus certain aspects which in my opinion defeats the whole point of a genuine self help system.

The above is not really self help and it does not exactly free up adviser time as it claims to do (that's if you can find any adviser or agencies who actually use it in the first place)

With the guidelines on debt collection as they now are, creditors should treat debtors the same if they self manage or go with a provider, that effectively took some of the ground from under Cashflow

Like I said before I don't really know anyone who uses the Cashflow system

Expensive White Elephant??

In the current climate, advisers, agencies and more important people in debt need all the help & support they can get and in my opinion Cashflow fails to do enough on all fronts here

Obviously with the thread title and subject matter comparisons now have to be made with the new cabmoney system that is expanding, some are now suggesting (as painful as it may eventually turn out out to be) that cabmoney https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/dmp.asp will basically replace Cashflow (or maybe it already has)

Here's further information on Cashflow and the options it provides from the MAT

http://www.moneyadvicetrust.org/advice/supportingadvisers/CASHflow/Pages/default.aspx

There is a pretty recent article in a well respected adviser magazine that includes a discussion and analysis of Cashflow that makes really interesting reading - will see if I can dig something out / up.

I can imagine the content of this post making uncomfortable reading for some, but nothing stays the same in debt advice and it has to be whats best for those in debt and everyone else concerned (including front line advisers)

Maybe the Cabmoney - Cashflow debate is set to intensify - think so from what I hear (irony, when you look at the first few posts back in this thread)

Open forums can be such a lonely place at times

Any other takers?

My genuine opinions in the best interests of those with debt problems

W

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ford

Thanks for this

Interesting read

Funding has been an issue for quite a few years now and will continue to be so.

The MAS funding is a current issue with agencies such as the CAB are very likely to be asked to do more and more for their money.

The MAS are targeting face to face advice and are looking to make advice more accessible to the many who need it and rightly so.

The idea is to combine face to face, telephone and digital

This is why (in my opinion) that CABs and other face to face agencies will need all the help they can get to provide a service and reach as many people as they can and as efficiently as they can. Hopefully to make a difference.

In my experience the telephone advice agencies do little or no face to face advice or negotiating with priority creditors and some have entry criteria to meet before they will administer a debt management plan for low disposable income enquiries. Some agencies are funded by creditor donations, fair contributions and even referral fees which opens up the genuine debate on just how independent and impartial they actually are.

The subject of increase in clients with priority debts has been in the headlines of late and certain agencies have been quick to headline this but do some of these agencies actually deal with priority debts as such?

The idea of Cabmoney is to fill a void at national and at vital local level giving front line agencies, advisers, clients & others a genuine accessible resource of their own (which is what is now happening)

The genuine FREE independent, impartial Cabmoney resource has without doubt ruffled the old order as they struggle to handle / play down the situation

It is no use having systems that are dated and not used, fancy pages highlighting these type of systems wont help the above no matter how many re-launches they attempt.

There is no doubt about it that funding is playing its part in what is going on and it is for all to see around the social media scene that the profit makers, sales, script readers and marketing people are going into overdrive (sorry, I forgot to mention the box tickers)

These are very interesting times as others in the debt advice sector know very well and no doubt they will fight to keep their corner which is only natural, but time will tell.

My opinion and I have never been afraid to voice it and will continue to do so is that maybe there are some in the CAB who perhaps need think very carefully about the situation before there are more cuts and closures and more importantly what these will have on people who require face to face advice and support which of course can involve the most vulnerable.

It is all about what is best for those in debt isn't it:)

Is it me or have the advice agency reps on here gone a little quiet, NDL PP & SC for instance -If so.... I wonder why:)

PS - despite what I have put above it is always a no brainer with me to go with one of the genuine free DMP providers

Just my opinions as always

W

Hi

Just going back to the well respected Adviser Magazine as mentioned in the earlier post - for those who may have access, there is a very interesting article that includes paragraphs on self managing and mentions Cashflow

The article is in edition number 162 - pages 42, 43 & 44 and is titled 'Stepping through the looking glass'

Info link below on the Adviser Magazine

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/professionals/adviser_resources/adviser_magazine.htm

W

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just a bit of an update (its been a while:)

Citizens Advice are looking at a payment distribution system similar to others is the word on the debt advice circuit

If this happens, it could be very significant indeed.

Listening around the debt sector scene it would appear that all parties involved in debt management / collection 'are now going to work much closer together' with empathy being in big supply as to help those in debt (one wonders what has triggered this apparent shift / change of heart or character even) but that is the clear and radical message coming out of the debt advice / creditor / DCA sector.

Advisers, advice agencies and others will have to also play their part in all this.

Anyway you would think that all this would surely make things run much smoother and in the case of those that feel capable / want to (or have little other choice than to) self manage their own debt management plans a whole lot easier

Absolutely fascinating times across the debt industry and advice sector with the genuine free to all independent CABmoney self help system increasing in popularity by the day. It has come a long way since it was first made public on this actual forum & thread back in January 2012.

On the apparent shift in approach accross the industry and sector some are suggestng that the FCA are calling the shots & have got them all very worried. On the evidence I have seen they are right, but thats just my view of course.

Anything that helps or improves the situation for those with debt problems has to be a good thing is my position. As always we shall have to wait and see. I does look like things are happening however.

Perhaps there are one or two looking in on this thread who will know exactly what I am talking about

Keep watching this space

Just my opinions as always & all comments welcome

W

Hi ford

Good question:)

Had a few problems to be honest and testing times, not on the advice side however, well nothing more than the usual there.

On my previous post, it is genuine, I have been in the debt advice game a long time now and don't often get surprised or shocked even, but the stuff I have heard recently has genuinely took me back. If it is all genuine then it sounds good to me and there will have be change or casualties even, but we shall have to wait and see.

Just my view of it all as always

Hope things are good with you by the way?

W

Hi ford

Good question:)

Had a few problems to be honest and testing times, not on the advice side however, well nothing more than the usual there.

Hope things are good with you by the way?

W

oh ok. not re a lock in per chance (remembering prev posts) :)

am ok. cld do with a good lock in though :)

oh ok. not re a lock in per chance (remembering prev posts) :)

am ok. cld do with a good lock in though :)

Hi

Yes, quite:)

Hardly had a drink over the last 3 months apart from the other night when I managed to have a share of the old favourite

Saved a packet and lost some round the waist, but you need a few every now and then and that's the truth or maybe that should be the gospel according to me:)

W

:)

hope all goes well. as you say nowt wrong with a 'few every now and then'.

for a laugh http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?436865-Male-or-Female-%284-Viewing%29-nbsp

Hi ford

Had a look, it made me laugh and nice to see both sides of the story:)

W

Hi

This is the FCA - Treating Customers fairly (TCF) info that appears to be the hot topic on the debt advice / collections & finance scene

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/being-regulated/meeting-your-obligations/fair-treatment-of-customers

It would appear that things are being taken very seriously indeed

Good news all round (almost)

If all is as it seems then it has to make managing your own debts easier and why not?

You will no doubt hear more on this as we go along, that's for sure

Very interesting & fascinating times ahead

W

shld've been considered as existed prior, as per lending code, oft guides, cc act, etc :)

but, anything further on the face, to save face?, has to be welcomed :)

shld've been considered as existed prior, as per lending code, oft guides, cc act, etc :)

but, anything further on the face, to save face, has to be welcomed :)

Hi ford

True

The FCA do appear to have put the cat amongst the pigeons however if listening around the circuit is anything to go by.

Something does appear to be happening this time, its quite unreal to be honest, I have not quite seen or heard anything like it.

This certainly has potential implications on a wide scale

As always however, we shall have to wait and see

W

Hi ford

True

The FCA do appear to have put the cat amongst the pigeons however listening around the circuits

Something does appear to be happening this time, its quite unreal to be honest, I have not quite seen or heard anything like it.

This certainly has potential implications on a wide scale

As always however, we shall have to wait and see

W

hi

hope so. cause the codes/guides etc re such 'fairness'/responsible lending etc were there prior. but, seemingly, not so much followed. hopefully, the fca has some bite.

you can understand my general cynicism. given the banks' record of 'corruption', recently another big fine re forex, and currently being investigated re fraud. do they really give a ****e about joe bloggs?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) from the FCA is going to have an impact and should make managing your own DMP much easier

Its a hot topic and has the industry & sector in a bit of a twizz

Good news for the customer / consumer but perhaps a real test for the debt industry, both free, fee charging and the so called 'not for profit' sector

http://www.fca.org.uk/static/documents/consumer-credit-being-regulated-guide.pdf

You see it will be easier to self manage, but hey! what's wrong with that:)

My view as always

W

hope so wintry.

in one eg, a *anker :) didnt want to deal direct saying must go to a dmp. which was even then contrary to the oft guides etc at the time. the subsequent fos was a waste of time, them just believing everything the bank told them over the consumer, even despite there being evidence to the contrary. my cynicism/skepticism remains. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi

A couple of very useful links to the FCA Handbook on Arrears Default & Recovery - Debt Advice / Debt Management Plans / Providers

(Arrears default & recovery)

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/CONC/7

Debt Advice / Debt Management Plans

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/CONC/8

Very useful information and ammunition if need be... especially if you are running your own debt management plan or thinking of doing so (It is getting easier:)

Always worth remembering that creditors should treat you the same if you self manage or go with a provider and they should now also treat you fairly (TCF)

W

• Haha 1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?403-CAG-Library

Thanks for the links Wintry, but I think we already have them in the Library ^^^^^

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Citizen

I had not seen them, a good link that I will use elsewhere now I have seen it

It wont hurt having them on this thread with the direct relevance to Self Help DMPs:)

Maybe I am wrong but I have not seen them on many other sites relating to DMPs, I cant think why:)

W

Hi Citizen

I had not seen them, a good link that I will use elsewhere now I have seen it

It wont hurt having them on this thread with the direct relevance to Self Help DMPs:)

Maybe I am wrong but I have not seen them on many other sites relating to DMPs, I cant think why:)

W

Absolutely, the more coverage they get the more they will be used.. hopefully :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi ford

Hope you are well

Interesting reads

A lot seems to be happening - The FCA link below is another very interesting 'document' and potentially relevant on self help IMO

http://www.fca.org.uk/static/documents/occasional-papers/occasional-paper-8.pdf

W