• Tweets

• and further referring to wasted money It would appear that the PPE bill for contracts awarded to Tory populist mates without either competition, basic requirements suitability vetting, or proper reporting to parliament ..  despite Johnson 'the Liar' repeatedly lying about it to parliament is actually around 18 billion pounds rather than 12 billion pounds .. for about 2-4 billion pounds worth (still at inflated prices) at best of usable PPE   Including it seems things like: Paying a Tory populist pal middleman with no experience 27 million pounds (20%+) 'finders fee' to get some mostly unusable PPE at 4 times the normal price or more - about 127 million pounds for about 25 million pounds worth of PPE .. if it had all been usable   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-covid-contracts-court-b1813003.html
    • Not sure if the above issue is covered in this group but if so I am after some advice.   My Dad is in his late 90's and on his death leaves everything to my Mum, also in her 90's but housebound. It is our intention and the request of Mum that when Dad has passed that the property she is currently living in is sold, we sell our property as well and we purchase a property with an annexe and self contained toilet / shower facilities where Mum could live out her days with us. There is no way on this Earth that she would go into an old folks home and it's certainly not on our agenda. Our daughter is their registered carer who currently looks after them.   Mum's Will as it stands at present states that I inherit her estate on her death.  She is talking about transferring the property she  currently resides in to me so that I can handle the sale of both properties. As her Will currently stands, the property she is living in will have already been sold so the Will won't be applicable. Could she change her Will now to state that on Dad's passing her property passes to me or can she gift the property?   The simple thing would be for Dad to change his to state that the property transfers to me but he is currently suffering with dimentia. He hardly knows what day of the week it is and gets very confused and agitated.   Any advice would be grateful. Thanks
    • One very useful admission to obtain from them in a recorded call would be to get them to admit that they hadn't informed you in advance as to the cost of the car rental. So for instance – "I'm just calling to find out what the cost of the car rental is because when you first approached me, it wasn't explained. I'm just want to find out so I can start arranging to pay how much I owe you." Something like that. The point is somehow or other to get them to acknowledge that they hadn't told you the rate at the time. It's an implied term of any contract the services that where no price has been agreed – then a reasonable price will be implied. Clearly you are not being asked to pay a reasonable price
    • Just to add, if you can start recording your calls then telephone conversations might be very useful because you may well be able to steer the conversation into some useful admissions. For instance, you might be able to get them to refer to the earlier conversations and what was said in them. This kind of thing would be gold dust. I think you can see that you have been tricked by aggressive salespeople – and it's up to you to start becoming a bit aggressive and assertive – and tricky – yourself.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies
  • Recommended Topics

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3335 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stated where? to whom?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

You put that in with the N244 ?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Did you refer to the letter in the statement for Q.10?

Did you ask the court if there were any duty legal advisers in attendance tomorrow ?

So you gave it an appendix no and refered to that appendix in the statement ? which section did you refer to it in ?

In the last paragraph before your signatures ? Did it all fit on one page ?

Went to the hearing, their guy was terrible,tried rippinp me to bits, and the Judge? he was fantastic to me said that it was suspened for two months and that he was giving me a one and only chance, which is all I/we need.

I do not who you are, but I do know that I would not have made it through the last week and today without you and your friends.

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH XXXX:smile:

Excellent news! Well done :)