Jump to content

Estate agents dishonesty and contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all


I put my house on the market with an estate agent, however after one week, I decided to have a look at other properties in my area, of the same type and found that our property had been over-valued by £20,000.

I phoned the estate agent who admitted to me that he had only put the house on the market at that price because my husband had suggested it and the agent said he hadnt wanted to offend him! I pointed out that other houses in our area were selling for a lot less and he agreed and then reduced the price.

At this point, we felt that we did not want to market our property with and agency who we felt had been dishonest, not correctly valued our property and we feel, only taken on the house to boost numbers on their books!

At the time of valuation, we signed a 12 week contract.

Having spoken to the agency, they WILL NOT release us from this 12 week contract and called me a liar and that the agent had never made those comments! I wrote to their head office, who took the same stand. They are now expecting us to pay their fees if we sell our house through another agent!

I have contacted the OEA, the NAEA and Trading Standards, so waiting to hear back from them. I just wondered if anyone else has had this experience or can offer advice on what to do!

I cant believe that the contract I signed, is really that binding! Especially in light of their actions!


Kind regards



Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Rescind the contract and put the house with another agent. Let them take you to court, you excercise all the standard delay tactics and get the other agent to sell your house before the hearing. If the bad estate agents still think they have a contract, they will still have to market it and if they do sell your house in 12 weeks then celebrate, its Christmas, and pay them. Maybe you will have to increase their fee as a joint agent. Another agent may be your best advisor here.


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...