Reliable Collections - Where to Start please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am posting on behalf of my mother.

She had a JD Williams catalogue and got into difficulties with it, so she wrote to them and explained that she was having trouble making payments and would they be kind enough to freeze the interest, as she was paying £60 and £12 was coming off the debt. To which they agreed. She then received a letter from Reliable Collections stating they were now in charge of the debt (?) She made an agreement with RC over the phone to pay £15 on 26th of every month, after 1 payment she received call from RC stating that they wanted payment every 4 weeks not on the 26 of every month, she was informed that paying every 4 weeks was company policy.

A few months later she received a letter from RC stating they wanted payment every 3 weeks, which she refused to do but still paid every 4 weeks, a few days after the next payment she received a letter stating that as she didnt pay every 3 weeks as they wanted she would incur a late payment charge for each of these payments. She then rang RC who told her to ignore these letters. Shortly after she received a letter from RC who wanted to increase payments £30 per 4 weeks,she said it was too much so RC agreed she could pay £20 per 4 weeks. This week she received a letter stating RC want the money every 3 weeks again and not 4. They have also threatened her that if she doesnt do what they say they'll update her credit file which may stop her re-mortgaging (how presumptuous of them!) her home and getting loans.

She has been diligently paying every 4 weeks for 2 years, so she has pretty much had enough of this pond life.

How can we start getting this **** off her back?

Please can someone help?

Thanks for reading.

Hi,

You mother needs to do a couple of things.

First, check her credit reference file, is the debt listed and under who's name? Even though RC say they own the debt.

Send RC a CCA request, template in top tool bar under Library in green, enclose a £1 postal order and do not sign your name.

Your mother needs to stop talking to these idiots on the telephone, they will say anything because they are on minimum wage and this is topped up via a 20% commission payment via your mother so they will keep asking for more.

Is your mum paying via direct debit or card? If so, cancel the direct debit and/or contact the card issuer and request a new one has the current card has been lost and request a stop also.

You can pay RC via standing order, that way you are completely in charge, you say how much and when.

Paying every 3 or 4 weeks is not Company policy, total BS just to get more payments and more commission.

Have RC ever sent you statements?

What RC say on the telephone, they will never commit to in writing, if they ring you, just say "in writing only" and hang up, do not ring them.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Thank You both!

She has kept all statements and all correspondance. I have told her repeatedly to STOP speaking to them on the phone as they are scummy fecks but she rather naively thought if she spoke to them it would be the right thing.

She pays it via the slip at the bottom of each statement in the bank.

Have printed off the CCA request and spoken to her on the phone tonight and i'll take the letter to her house tomorrow afternoon.

Will keep you updated.

How would she claim the charges back dpick?

Thanks again, this forum is such a valuable asset.

How would she claim the charges back

To reclaim back any mis-sold PPI and/or charges, you need to send the following letter to the original creditor (JD Williams)...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?552-Data-Protection

Enclose £10 postal order, JD Williams then have 40 calender days to comply.

When you receive your SAR back, go through the statements calculate all of your charges and/or PPI not forgetting to add 8% statutory interest.

I have attached a interest Calculator for you.

Best Wishes

Stigman

Interest Calculator.xls

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?840-Stop-your-bank-or-lender-breaching-their-instalment-agreement

It looks as though Reliable collections could be heading for trouble. Your mother had an agreement in place with the original creditor and the new owner cannot renege on that.

Please persuade your Mother NOT to talk to them on the phone - they MUST be forced to put everything in writing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks all

I spoke to my mother this morning, it seems to spoke to JD Williams and asked THEM to freeze the interest and asked if she could pay £15 a month which they agreed to. Then about a week later she received a letter from Reliable Collections telling her the money had to go to them......

ETA - weird thing is i now keep getting emails from JD Williams saying my statement is ready online.

Edited by funky funky frog

So, are Reliable saying they are just collectors or has the account been assigned to them ?

Might be worth following that up .. draft letter below. You will need to fill in a couple of spaces with the DCA and original creditor details.

Draft request for assignment - Amended Draft.doc

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ah thanks dpick.. I didnt realise. In which case they are seeking to mislead as well ??

BCOBS

Hi probably I only found out when I rang unreliable collections to ask them what was going on "I am in middle of court case with J.D.Williams for refund of charges and all interest applied to account, as the do not have an agreement to apply interest or charges with me" with last letter from then signed by Julie when she said Julie was at the next desk.

dpick

Hi All.

CCA request in envelope ready to go.

This morning my mother received a 'Statement' from JD Williams.

They have put on 2 x admin charges of around £12.

Should we still send the CCA request to Reliable?

thanks

Edited by funky funky frog

Unless there is a provision/clause in the original agreement for a third party to charges.. then they simply cant do that.

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

i have an agreement with relibale collections or at least i thought i did i have now also got statements from JD williams and the payment keeps going up i thought once a debt was passed to a collector that was it the owed amount did not go up?

i pay reliable on one day and the week after i get a statement from jd and the amount owed keeps going up how do they i ever hope to pay it off the amoutn it goes up by is almost half the payment i make every month.

surely this cannot be right?

if a debt collector buys the debt it is for the amount owed end of not a credit chanrge every month on top of it?

i have an agreement with relibale collections or at least i thought i did i have now also got statements from JD williams and the payment keeps going up i thought once a debt was passed to a collector that was it the owed amount did not go up?

i pay reliable on one day and the week after i get a statement from jd and the amount owed keeps going up how do they i ever hope to pay it off the amoutn it goes up by is almost half the payment i make every month.

surely this cannot be right?

if a debt collector buys the debt it is for the amount owed end of not a credit chanrge every month on top of it?

You should be able to reclaim any/all charges back. It might be worth writing to them .. have a look at the letters in the link below - I think Letter F, might be the one to send. But read through the others and see if there are any that would be of use.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?590-Creditors-and-DCAs-Letter-Templates-Budget-Planner

IMHO, there is simply no point in having a repayment plan in place if they are going to continue to add charges and interest and the debt continues to increase.

You might also want to have a read of the following.. Section 9 is the part that applies to your situation.

lendingcode[1].pdf

BCOBS

Received a letter back from Reliable, if someone can please help me off group so i can show them it then that would be fab.

Also in this letter they think that under the section 78 request they do not have to provide a photocopy or copy of the signed credit agreement.....

Received a letter back from Reliable, if someone can please help me off group so i can show them it then that would be fab.

Also in this letter they think that under the section 78 request they do not have to provide a photocopy or copy of the signed credit agreement.....

They are correct, under s78 they dont have to provide a photocopy of the signed agreement, however they would need to provide the original if they were intending to start litigation - and they know this.

I think what you need to do now is to ask if they do actually have the original at all. There is a draft letter in the thread below.. 1st post.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?291468-Fighting-back-with-CPUTR-2008....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?314597-Challenging-Reconstituted-Agreements...

BCOBS

I have been having a problem with Reliable (Classic Confidence/J D Williams). My wifes account got out of hand and we could not meet the payments. Eventually I wrote and asked them for copy of the signed agreement - what they sent me was one they had filled in themselves. I wrote back and told them this was not good enough, and that without a signed agreement they could not take us to Court for recovery of the alleged debt. They wrote back to agree, and said that all collection activity would cease. There was a threat that we would be reported to a Credit Agency, which did not worry us as we are already listed for other matters. All seemed fine, but two weeks later the telephone calls started again. I told them about the letter from Classic saying all collection activity would stop, but they said that did not apply as we had not responded. So I told them NO MORE CALLS!! In writing only please - now I will respond saying that they refused our offer, have agreed they cannot go to Court for recovery, and that we intend to pay nothing and let them report us to whatever agency they choose to.

the answer to all the cat debts is to get reclaiming

you'll find that you have heeps of £12 penalty charges

letter/phone/missed call/debt collection/debt management/pass to dca]

as for the CCA stuff

typically your first order was your agreement

esp if you did it on line.

above all check your CRA file!

reclaiming is easy

if you've not got ALL the statements

sar them

if you have.

follow link 3 below

cat debts are the lowest priority of all

NEVER give them anything more than £1PCM

and do it by your internet banking portal.

they'll never go anywhere near a court

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...
They are correct, under s78 they dont have to provide a photocopy of the signed agreement, however they would need to provide the original if they were intending to start litigation - and they know this.

I think what you need to do now is to ask if they do actually have the original at all. There is a draft letter in the thread below.. 1st post.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?291468-Fighting-back-with-CPUTR-2008....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?314597-Challenging-Reconstituted-Agreements...

Thanks for this link, however can you do me a massive favour and point out where i'm supposed to be looking for the letter please? as i am super dim and can't see it.

Thanks

Thanks for this link, however can you do me a massive favour and point out where i'm supposed to be looking for the letter please? as i am super dim and can't see it.

Thanks

Click on this link................... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?291468-Fighting-back-with-CPUTR-2008.... in the first post of the thread it will take you to.. scroll down a bit and you will find a draft letter.

BCOBS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Found the letter you referred to, however we are having a real time of it amending it to make sense for us, we really have very little clue as to what we're doing. :|

In the meantime statements are still coming from Reliable/JD Williams alternately with charges added on!

My mother is getting worried and saying she will start paying again.

well that depends if the reclaim is more than what is owed

if what is owed is ALL penalty fees

let them carry on

all the more to reclaim.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...