The driving licence trap: 1.6m drivers at risk of £1,000 fine for not renewing photo at £20 a time

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Over 1.6million drivers could be at risk of a £1,000 fine because the photograph on their driving licence has expired, a Freedom of Information request has revealed.

Sainsbury’s car insurance discovered that many motorists are at risk of a hefty fine because they may not be aware that a photograph on their driving licence needs to be updated every ten years at a cost of £20, as set out by the DVLA. Those with old-style paper licences are not affected.

As well as 1.6million drivers’ photographs that have expired, a further 2.9million must be renewed by the end of 2012 - and over the next five years, almost 13million drivers must renew their photograph to abide by the law.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2081666/Driving-licence-trap-1-6m-drivers-risk-hefty-fine-renewing-photograph-20-cost.html#ixzz1j3YgdRiH

I've got mine to do this week. The post office offer a service for £4.50 where they take the photograph and send it electronically to the DVLA.

If you have a current, valid passport boris, you can authorise the DVLA to obtain this photo electronically themselves for free. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest, does anyone know which bit of LAW they are using to yet again lay traps for the motorist. I ask this because there seems to be some considerable doubt as to the enforceability of their 'fines' for failing to declare SORN, etc. As far as I understand it, only Councils and Law Courts can levy fines.

Willum

Just out of interest, does anyone know which bit of LAW they are using to yet again lay traps for the motorist. I ask this because there seems to be some considerable doubt as to the enforceability of their 'fines' for failing to declare SORN, etc. As far as I understand it, only Councils and Law Courts can levy fines.

Willum

It's not a 'fine', it is either a Late Licensing Penalty, s.7A, Vehicles Excise and Registration Act,1994, or an out of court settlement offer for not having a licence, contrary to s.29 or 31A of the same act.

• 1 month later...

I've tried two post offices, and they both deny any knowledge of being able to send photos to the DVLA, or being able to use a passport photo. I can't see any reference to this in the leaflet that comes with the driving licence application form either. Have you any advice, please?

If you have a post office local to your post code that provides the service, it will be listed on the back of the renewal form.

Mine is Redruth and they have put a booth at the end of the counter at the last position, which has a camera and a signature pad. Walk in, draw the curtain. The clerk checks your paper work, takes your photo, you sign the digital pad, hand over your old licence (make sure you retain a photocopy). I got mine back two working days later.