• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

more threats of a 6 month work placement

leasky32
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Slavery! or maybe get all the unemployed to work for free,then get rid of paid employees and then set them to work for free after they become unemployed adinfinitum ,bloody hell best get rich quick scheme I have heard of yet.Them Tories Know how to make money!.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

What do we think? 3 years is too excessive in my opinion. But as long as it pays at least minimum wage, it's all good surely. If people have to work 30 hours a week for 50 quid dole money though, it's bang out of order of course.

The headline says 'End of something for nothing' it's only for nothing if someone has not paid into the system, what about the thousands of over fifties who are now long term unemployed because they have been effectively slung on the scrap heap? Many of these have over thirty years worth of contributions under their belts, the government are removing the over 50 element of working tax credit this year, which was one of the only incentives for older people to start up a small business.

If the legislation was aimed at those who have contributed nowt, I could understand and agree with it, to penalise people who find themselves at the bottom rung of society through no fault of their own, who have worked all their lives, who were made redundant in many cases by this government's cuts is morally reprehensible.

I believe this country is heading for social unrest on a scale never before witnessed, the unemployed, the sick, those with limited capability for work, the disabled, single parents, are being systematically disenfranchised and forced into penury, place millions into sub poverty conditions, and blame them for their own misfortunes, and you create anarchy.

The riots of last year were an unfortunate but telling precursor of what may well lie ahead.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Lets just remember its the Daily Mail reporting, they do have a tendency to slant stories to create maximum outrage / placatement for those of a Tory persuasion. You can expect that the actual proposed policies have been given the Daily Mail Spin Treatment in this article!

Yes, the firms will save money on wages, but how will the government save money if they're still paying benefit?

By sanctioning those who refuse the work program, or stand up for their rights.

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I'm not even really sure it's about money at all. I mean, obviously that's the pretext given, that and gaining "skills" and so on. If you look at the DWP budget, JSA is a tiny amount - HB is the elephant in the room. This is an interesting interactive graphic from the Guardian.

My own feeling is that it's an attempt to foster a particular attitude towards benefit claimants, and to give the appearance of "doing something" while ignoring the underlying problems that cause unemployment. Instinctively, you'd feel that the worst time to apply punitive sanctions to JSA claimants is a time when recession has pushed the unemployment rate up.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Noticed a comment on the Guardian pages, under the comments about the welfare reform bill - stating that Poundland had already let 14 young people go, as they had taken on unpaid JSA claimants.

Not sure if true, but this seems to be the way it is going to go.

Lilly

I think it's inevitable that'll happen. There isn't actually any reason it wont, yet. At our place we took on 6 temp staff before xmas, 4 of those were offered permanant jobs last week, as tends to happen every year. Although they all wanted to stay. The Czech lady & her boyfriend stayed of course. Businesses are under a lot of pressure from the government to meet targets.

I'm not even really sure it's about money at all. I mean, obviously that's the pretext given, that and gaining "skills" and so on. If you look at the DWP budget, JSA is a tiny amount - HB is the elephant in the room. This is an interesting interactive graphic from the Guardian.

My own feeling is that it's an attempt to foster a particular attitude towards benefit claimants, and to give the appearance of "doing something" while ignoring the underlying problems that cause unemployment. Instinctively, you'd feel that the worst time to apply punitive sanctions to JSA claimants is a time when recession has pushed the unemployment rate up.

Never a truer word spoken. Certain areas of the country have lost the plot entirely when it comes to private rents - it's a license to print money for a certain type of landlord. Had we been on HB at the time, our last property would have cost the public purse over £10k a year. There has to be some sort of regulation beyond the LHA, because on the South Coast and in London, the situation is out of control. Our last house was a desperation move, because the landlord prior to that was being repossessed - I have never lived in such a hovel in my life, but the LL was charging an exorbitant rent because it was in line with what the LHA has on offer. All well and good if you're actually on HB, but if you're not and you have to pay that out of your wages...well, I can see why some people can't see the benefit in working, let's put it that way.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Yes, the firms will save money on wages, but how will the government save money if they're still paying benefit?

My understanding is that people on this new scheme will be doing exactly the same type of non-jobs that people on community service have to do. You won't be doing a real job working for a real employer, like those who go to Poundland or Tesco do.

i just think this scheme is a total [problem], who in there right mind would want to work for a couple of quid an hour in this day and age in the uk, if when ever when at the work programme provider asks me about going on a placement i will be asking to prove to me, if i have any employment rights, i am covered under health and safety laws and am i covered by the companies i am at liable insurance, but if for some reason i went back to the place, ive worked at previously doing a placement, it would cost me more than a weeks benefit to get there

Ok, the how about we adopt the american system ???

I for one will SUPPORT those that GENUINELY require government / social support such as JSA / DLA / HB / ETC. What I CANNOT support is the misuse of public funds, for those that frankly

cannot be ars*d to work or milk the system to their benefit. Why should unemployed received more in benefits combined than those on minimum wage working 40 hours per week ?

All efforts should be made to 'repay' the benefits granted and if that means working on placement for 2 weeks, then so be it.... a job may also be forthcoming for said placement.

The system needs to provide for those that do emphatically need support from the tax payer, and deny recourse to public funds for those that CLEARLY have no entitlement.

It is my belief that the whole 'cash' access on benefits needs to be removed. The JSA allowance is there to sustain life and provide the basics, not booze / drugs / fags etc.

Tokens should be used, limited to foods / utilities / clothes . ... all non essential items should be disallowed. It would be possible to set this up using a type of preloaded debit card....

certainly company credit cards can be preprogramed to only charge certain commodity types... cant see how this couldnt be set up ?

HB could be paid by the LA directly to the landlords. It would not need to state what account it came from, therefore not disclosing to private landlords the receipt of benefits.

Many solutions to a topical problem,Ii for one, as a taxpayer, am sick of being taken advantage of via my tax.... and if you think i am being over reactive,

how can my neighbours, who have not worked for 8 years, on various benefits, get a new 60'' lcd this xmas value 1k, and myself, earning 34k per year, not be able to afford to... ?

Oh, i spent a week in whitby as my holiday, they had 2 in the canaries ?? Something isn't right, by not working, only income being via the state, and a better standard of living than me...

I dont see this being resolved in my lifetime.....

c

how can my neighbours, who have not worked for 8 years, on various benefits, get a new 60'' lcd this xmas value 1k, and myself, earning 34k per year, not be able to afford to... ?

There are numerous ways in which people on low incomes can purchase expensive gadgets and other tech. Go to any city in this country and you will find a certain breed of shop that will sell you the latest and greatest 3D flat-screen television - on credit! It's the catalogues of the 90s just in a bricks and mortar store (or Internet site, even).

Just because your neighbours have gotten a new television over Christmas does not mean they've bought it outright. If as you say they are on a low income, it is highly probable that they got it on credit and will be paying for it in installments for years to come.

Why should unemployed received more in benefits combined than those on minimum wage working 40 hours per week ?

They shouldn't, but it's not that combined benefits are too high, the fact is the minimum wage is too low.

It is my belief that the whole 'cash' access on benefits needs to be removed. The JSA allowance is there to sustain life and provide the basics, not booze / drugs / fags etc.

Tokens should be used, limited to foods / utilities / clothes . ... all non essential items should be disallowed. It would be possible to set this up using a type of preloaded debit card....

certainly company credit cards can be preprogramed to only charge certain commodity types... cant see how this couldnt be set up ?

There would still be a need for a cash element, fares for example, and how much would it cost to set up a debit card system? And who would pay for it? The taxpayer of course, I don't see this as a way of saving money, plus it would be yet another complication in a system that is falling apart as it is.

I can't comment on your neighbours as I don't know their circumstances, but I do know that if I was currently on £34K per year I'm pretty sure I could budget for a 60" LCD TV worth a grand if I felt the need for one.

Ok, the how about we adopt the american system ???

I for one will SUPPORT those that GENUINELY require government / social support such as JSA / DLA / HB / ETC. What I CANNOT support is the misuse of public funds, for those that frankly

cannot be ars*d to work or milk the system to their benefit. Why should unemployed received more in benefits combined than those on minimum wage working 40 hours per week ?

All efforts should be made to 'repay' the benefits granted and if that means working on placement for 2 weeks, then so be it.... a job may also be forthcoming for said placement.

The system needs to provide for those that do emphatically need support from the tax payer, and deny recourse to public funds for those that CLEARLY have no entitlement.

HB could be paid by the LA directly to the landlords. It would not need to state what account it came from, therefore not disclosing to private landlords the receipt of benefits.

Many solutions to a topical problem,Ii for one, as a taxpayer, am sick of being taken advantage of via my tax.... and if you think i am being over reactive,

Oh, i spent a week in whitby as my holiday, they had 2 in the canaries ?? Something isn't right, by not working, only income being via the state, and a better standard of living than me...

I dont see this being resolved in my lifetime.....

c

Ooh a Daily Mail reader :wink:

I am currently unemployed after my third Redundancy. I am 33 and since I left school at 16, I have worked for 16 years out of the potential 17 years employment. My last full time job, I was paying taxes of £70+ a week! I have held other jobs where I have paid even more.

So you would like me to "repay" a system I have paid into for a decade and a half?

Nyfle has hit the nail on the head too - if your "scrounger" neighbours have a 60" television, it has almost certainly come from Bright House, Perfect Home or a similar company - they will be paying off that TV for years to come, with about 400% interest on top.

As an Insulin dependant Diabetic I struggle to feed myself as healthily as I need to, JSA does not stretch quite as far as the Daily Mail claims, especially with all the price rises of the last couple of years. A typical Weekly shopping bill went up by about £20, JSA went up approx £2! So you are talking complete and utter rubbish by claiming that someone on benefits is able to pop out and spend several hundred pounds cash for a nice telly.

You have also fallen into the same hole that right wing mail readers such as yourself always amusingly fall into !

You have pulled out the "booze and fags" manoeuvre.

If someone on JSA is spending most of their money on "booze and fags" well, those 2 items attract extremely heavy taxes, so someone on JSA smoking and drinking could very well be paying as much back into the system as a vegetarian puritan employed on minimum wage.

I shall let you into a little secret too - when my JSA arrives, I spend it on what I need, and guess what? Much of what I buy is taxed. Every single person in the country, regardless of income pays tax into the system, its not quite one sided.

I am a little suprised that being on 34K you are unable to afford a "nice telly" or a holiday abroad, you are on over 20k more a year than people on average wage. You must be absolutely dreadful with handling your finances, are you a Gambling Addict or something?

Your inspired Housing Benefit innovation? What on earth?. If the Landlord does not know who the benefit is being paid for, then how on earth will he know whether person X has paid or not? Housing Benefit is (preferably by the Councils) paid direct to the Tenant precisely SO a Landlord does not know a tenant is not working. Your system, a Landlord would not have a clue who was up to date on the rent, and who was in arrears, do you seriously consider that suggestion to be anything other than insane?

What if you lose your job? Would you be happy having to go into shops with a "DoleScum's Gold Card"? What the hell qualifies you or gives you the right to decide what people should spend their money on?

Holidays - I have seen weeks in Ibiza going far cheaper than a long weekend at Butlins, its one reason many people go abroad, its cheaper than holidaying within the Good Ship Brittania!

Did I get your back up with my inference that you must be a Gambling Addict, or very poor with your finances? Well, if you are qualified to sit in judgement of other peoples lifestyles and "assume" facts about them, you cannot complain when other people do the same to you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am a little suprised that being on 34K you are unable to afford a "nice telly" or a holiday abroad, you are on over 20k more a year than people on average wage. You must be absolutely dreadful with handling your finances, are you a Gambling Addict or something?

I agree with much of what you say in your post, but let's not make it personal.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Numbers, I used to feel the same way as you and I do still understand where you're coming from. There are some people out there who don't want to work, that's a fact. Just not as many as the media would like us to believe.

I've just found myself unemployed after 16 years of uninterrupted work , and I can tell you now if your neighbours are going on holiday ANYWHERE it's because someone else is paying for it. Our entitlement works out at about £20 a day between three of us - when you take travel expenses for getting to interviews into the equation, it's actually much less than that (no, the job centre don't pay for people to get to interviews - another popular misconception). How in the name of Jay-sus people pay for gas and electric on this money is beyond me - in our last property, gas and electric via a pre-payment meter cost us about £40 a week during the winter, and that was using energy very conservatively (ice on the inside of windows of rooms we didn't actually sit in). That would leave us £130 a fortnight for food, travel and other bills. I'm currently paying £40 a month for gas and electric on an online dual fuel tariff - I'm not an idiot, this is a gross underestimation that is going to bite me in the backside when the actual bill arrives, but all I can do is hope I'm working when they hoik it up to £200 a month to cover the shortfall.

About the only thing I actually like about the situation is not having to worry about making sure my rent is OK - I told the council that I don't have a bank account so that the HB was paid directly to our landlord. I did that because I can see how easy it would be to dip into the HB payment when I'm struggling to pay for things. Another benefit is that we're all eating much more healthily - no more take-aways or snacks between meals!

I've said elsewhere on this or another thread, the biggest problem this country has is housing benefit for people living in high rent areas. If your rent is £900 a month, as ours was before we moved back up North (ish), I can see how hard it would be to see the benefit in taking a low paid or minimum wage job. I know that if you're on a low wage, you can still get some housing benefit but I also know from the experience of friends that this is riddled with problems. If you do irregular hours, take paid over time or generally do anything to alter the amount you earn, you have to declare it every time. I know people who've run into serious problems because of this, either by getting behind with their rent or with having to pay back over payments. The two people you least want to have problems with - your landlord or the government.

As for Brighthouse...given the 'spare' income I've demonstrated above, anyone would think their entire business model revolved around giving people exorbitant credit that they obviously can't afford, then repossessing goods to be resold to someone else who can't afford it. That's ludicrous though...no company would deliberately set up credit accounts knowing that they would fail so they could sell the same goods over and over for many times their face value. Oh, wait....:!:

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

What is frustrating too, is the Coalition are seeing the disgrace of how much rent is being charged in some areas as a housing benefit problem, rather than a rent problem.

So, in London, we now have "Class Cleansing" taking place, with local authorities force relocating people on HB under threat of homelessness.

What we need instead are strict rental controls in order to fight these landlords. EVEN the United States has rent control and protection laws in favour of the Tenants in many cities.

Britain is small. Very Small, considering it has a 60 million plus population, we have accomodation shortages, and frankly, im my opinion having a secure roof over ones head is an absolute right. And the right of having that secure roof far outweighs the right of anyone, individual or corporate to benefit from "investing" in that housing.

Along with rental controls, I would seize propertys that have been empty for a certain amount of time and convert them if necessary into social/low income housing. I would also start imposing an annual fine on Local Authorities/housing associations for each and every council/social housing property they have which is empty. This hopefully would then force them to repair/bring up to code these properties and move people into them.

We have a housing shortage, and yet there are something like 900,000 empty council houses! entire estates in some cases!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem is 'they do not pick on those who refuse to work' they pick on the soft targets, in order to keep their stats find and dandy.

They know there is nothing they can do with the long term unemployed, so they basically leave them alone.

In return the genuine people in need of help get lumped in the same boat.

No matter what forum I am on, when ever the subject of the 'unemployed' comes up - out comes the word...'scroungers' and far far worse, the media has done its job well.

If I was earning £34000 a year, I think I would be getting on with my life and not wondering how my neighbours could afford xyz!

Bitterness is not a nice trait, whether you are unemployed, working or what ever - and achieves nothing.

Lilly