Car clamped in private car park

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Happy New year!!

My car was clamped 3 weeks ago by Nighthawk security. - Reason 'permit not verifiable'

I am a tenant of a housing association with private car park & had a valid parking permit. Nightwark have sent a photo to the housing association which apperantly shows that the permit was covered by my tax disc.

Is this a valid reason for clamping my car?

I have refused to pay to have the car unclamped, but the housing are insisting that my permit was not displayed properly and in the wrong.They are insisting that I pay otherwise my car will be towed. Also do need my car to get around.

Could someone please advise me on what to do. Thank you

Edited by ndebt

if its a housing assoc & private what has the council got to do with it?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

then take the clamp off without damaging it

there is no legal remit at all to pay this

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

'if parking bays are provided on the development of which the premises form part, the Tenant is entitled to use one of these routine parking of one private motor vehicle capable of lawful use. If any member of the Tenant's household wishes to park any other kind of vehicle, or more than one vehicle, they must obtain the Association's permission first............

..... By signing this agreement the tenant authorises the association to remove any vehicle, or object left in the parking Bays in breach of these conditions, or which reasonably appears to the officers of the Association to be abandoned or dangerous.

However, can they not come back and say that there's a displayed sign regarding parking with out a permit, & I therefore entered a contract when I parked there??

Edited by ndebt

If that's all it says on the subject, then it doesn't address your situation at all and so you would not be bound by any contract of relevance.

You appear legally to have every right to demand the clamp be removed - but it's not likely they would agree. However it might be wise to ask the clamper directly, so if there is any comeback on you later, you can say quite honestly that you requested they remove the clamp and they refused.

What to do if they do refuse - you'll need to get a cutter of some sort and cut through whatever is holding the clamp on - probably a chain and padlock. Cut the chain off.

They need to vary the terms of your TA in order to enforce parking on any space in which you are entitled to park a vehicle. By clamping your car without varying the terms of the TA, they have breached the agreement and acted unlawfully, in committing a trespass against your goods. Tortious Interference with Goods is the legal expression. Unless they have varied the terms of any other TAs then they have no jurisdiction to enforce on the parking spaces themselves, only the communal areas. You should point that out to them, and point out that if you are forced into paying that you will be taking legal action against the Housing Assoc, and you WILL win. Displaying of signs does NOT constitute mutually acceptable variance of the terms of your TA.

Thank you.

It is possible that they would have varied the agreement over the years. I've gone through files and can see one. Say they have varied the agreement is it legally binding if I've not signed it.

I've had to pay to have the car unclamp. Pls will need help writing an NBA to both housing & clamper

Hi ndebt

As this seems to be the Housing Associations 'Parking Policy', I would write to the Housing Association and request copies of the following:

1. Complaints Procedure.

2. Parking Policy/Procedure.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you.

It is possible that they would have varied the agreement over the years. I've gone through files and can see one. Say they have varied the agreement is it legally binding if I've not signed it.

I've had to pay to have the car unclamp. Pls will need help writing an NBA to both housing & clamper

Any variation to an agreement has to be accepted by BOTH parties. You cannot unilaterally alter the terms of an agreement between two parties.