"0870" numbers

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It can be challenged by using saynoto0870.com and/or getting your own one.

I have an 0870 number purposely to give to firms that use them themselves. If I have to pay to phone them, they have to pay to phone me. If I don't, then they get my normal landline number.

If everyone had an 0870/1 number, then the firms would soon stop using them themselves.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

How about getting yourself a premium rate number and giving that to all the parasites?

Would there be anything wrong with doing that?

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

I wouldn't have said so.

The 0870/1 numbers are a lot easier to get than 09xx numbers though - the 09xx numbers have to be approved by someone-or-other telcoms watchdog, and they don't just give them out on a whim, like they do 087x numbers.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

You can always email Sky instead - but do remember when it was first implemented, it gave a National rate number that DIDN'T cost more for anyone who lived outside Central Scotland to call. (I could call their Livingston number as an 'intermediate' number, which was charged much less than a National call. Of course, times and tariffs changed, and 01/02 calls don't cost any more than local, so these 087x numbers cost more to call.

That said, I have my own 0870 number, and all my non famiily contacts ONLY get given this number, so whether it's a company selling me something or a debt collection agency, I get paid for every minute they chat to me. Call it getting your own back!

do u need 2 phone lines for this or is it 2 numbers for 1 location ?

Only your normal line and number. The 0870 number is "pointed" at your usual number.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

• 1 month later...
so whether it's a company selling me something or a debt collection agency, I get paid for every minute they chat to me. Call it getting your own back!

Hi Buzby,

How is the amount credited to you? Is it just applied to your BT bill or sent in the form of a cheque?!

Also, it doesnt cost the customer (ie: you) anything extra to dial from your home phone?

Cheers,

Nathe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UNTIL MY CASES ARE RESOLVED/WON IM GOING TO KEEP MY SIGNATURE BLANK AS IM AWARE THE BANKS TEND TO TRAWL ON SOME OF THESE FORUMS AND AS MY CASE IS A LITTLE COMPLEX IT WOULD BE EASILY SPOTTED

DONT WORRY - THE INFO SHALL RETURN ONCE THE CASE IS RESOLVED/WON

When you sign up for one of these numbers, depending on the firm, they arrange to credit your online account with the funds received from callers calling your 0870 number. (In reality, it is STILL your usual 'home' telephone number, you simply tell the system to deliver your 0870 number to it - and when the phone rings you don;t know whether it is someone calling in to your home of 0870 number (however, if you use the Flextel service, they provide this by sending a special caller display code). Once you've amassed your fortune, you can either ask foir a cheque, or if you'd like a 'golden number' you can upgrade your number to one you like better or ends in the same digits as your existing line, so you can answer hte same way.

It does nothing to affect your home phone, this is an incoming call service for people to call you, you'd never call it yourself!

When you sign up for one of these numbers, depending on the firm, they arrange to credit your online account with the funds received from callers calling your 0870 number. (In reality, it is STILL your usual 'home' telephone number, you simply tell the system to deliver your 0870 number to it - and when the phone rings you don;t know whether it is someone calling in to your home of 0870 number (however, if you use the Flextel service, they provide this by sending a special caller display code). Once you've amassed your fortune, you can either ask foir a cheque, or if you'd like a 'golden number' you can upgrade your number to one you like better or ends in the same digits as your existing line, so you can answer hte same way.

It does nothing to affect your home phone, this is an incoming call service for people to call you, you'd never call it yourself!

Thats great - figured it out a little earlier and signed up, on my house phone a little "EXT" appears above the number!

Time to charge those companies for the privilage of calling me, lol!

Nathe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UNTIL MY CASES ARE RESOLVED/WON IM GOING TO KEEP MY SIGNATURE BLANK AS IM AWARE THE BANKS TEND TO TRAWL ON SOME OF THESE FORUMS AND AS MY CASE IS A LITTLE COMPLEX IT WOULD BE EASILY SPOTTED

DONT WORRY - THE INFO SHALL RETURN ONCE THE CASE IS RESOLVED/WON

That's the way to do it - and its also possible to have the 0870 number listed in the phone book for free too (so you can remove your existing number if its there - as all your friends will know it anyway). I understand the Mods were looking at setting up a referral link that would give the CAG a small fee as the referrer (which is why I've not done so) but I've not seen a decision on this. Good luck with the new number, I hope you make a mint! :D

The trouble is most company switchboards are set so 0870 numbers cannot be dialled.

I thnik you'll find that is a fallacy, brought on when premium rate bumbers were on 0898, however in the matter being discussed we are attempting to dissuade firms from disturbing our reverie with needless chaser telephone calls. If they're PABX cannot dial the number, then - as unlikeley as it may seem - that's a pretty good compromise too!

Remember waitting on the phone for 30 minutes to a company called Aria.co.uk, got cut off then had to rejoin the cue for 15 minutes.

Needless to say was pretty fuming and no doubt a few pound lighter by the time I got through to them.... as such all contact is now by snail mail.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Needless to say was pretty fuming and no doubt a few pound lighter by the time I got through to them.... as such all contact is now by snail mail.

Which is why I'm recommending consumers get their OWN 'special' numbers and provide these with CC, HP and indeed anything that involves giving your personal details that will be processed by call/contact centres!

• 4 months later...

What about getting an 070*** number as this is even more expensive than the 0870/1 numbers?

That might seem a bit more than getting your own back but bear in mind that they won't have to wait for years in a queue for you whereas we have to spend ages waiting for them - being charged all the while...

What do you think?

However, due to a recent Ofcom decision, 0870 numbers will attract a rental charge with effect from the end of 2007.

Just found this on an 0870 website.

Matt

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton.

Advice offered by MattyH is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt. Please research any information I have offered, as I will not be held liable for any incorrect advice i've given you.

<--------- If my advice has helped, please tip my scales. 8)

For Further advice come into the Chat Room: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/chat/flashchat.php

FAQ's : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Step By Step Instructions ; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Also noted this on the Flextel website

shall not share with end users any revenue obtained from providing a Personal Numbering Service in accordance with the para B3.2 of the National Telephone Numbering Plan as published by Ofcom or its legal successors...

• viz.: Numbers in the 070 range shall not be Adopted or otherwise used for Premium Rate Services and those Adopting Personal Numbers shall not share with any End-User any revenue obtained from providing a Personal Numbering Service.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

What about getting an 070*** number as this is even more expensive than the 0870/1 numbers?What do you think?

Unfortunately, you'll not benefit from this- I have an 07050 number, and the ability to receive revenue from it was removed a few years ago as many were offering premium-like services which SHOULD have been on 09xxx, I don;t use the 07050 code for many contracts as the profit for it all goes to the carrier, however, I still get paid to answer 0870 numbers - for the time being!