Parcel signed for in my name.. but not by me!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've read a few posts on here with similar situations to mine, but didn't really see any outcomes, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out!

I ordered a PS3 from a private seller on ebay, and paid through Paypal, and was given a parcel tracking ID for parcelforce.

On the night of the 5th of Jan, I tracked the parcel and was very pleased to see that its status was "Loaded to vehicle for delivery". I assumed this meant it would be with me the next day, (the 6th) and spent all day waiting for the package to arrive, anxiously keeping an eye out for the van to stop or go past the window. It got to about 16:00 when I started to give up hope that my PS3 would arrive that day.

I checked the tracker one more time to see if the status had changed, and to my amazement it said it had been delivered! I noticed that there was a new option for me to 'see proof of deliery' so I clicked the link, to find that the parcel had apparently been delivered at 14:06 to M Cooper, followed by a signature stating 'M Cooper'. The strange thing is, M Cooper is me! But it was definately not my signature, and the parcelforce man had definately not rang my doorbell!

I've read that, although they are not supposed to, the delivery men will sometimes sign on your behalf, and leave the parcel somewhere outside, but it's nowhere to be seen, and there was no card through my letterbox! I thought maybe a neighbour would bring the parcel round that they had taken delivery for by mistake... but then, why would they sign for it in my name?!

I'm so annoyed, not only that the delivery man would hand the parcel over to someone at the wrong address, with no proof that they are the owner of the parcel, but also that someone would do that! :mad2:

I've e-mailed parcelforce, but have so far just recieved an automated reply saying that they aim to get back to me within 12 hours, which will be Monday now.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this, what they did, and what was the outcome?

Many thanks,

Mitch (the real one! :wink:)

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Hi Rich ,

Having the same problem myself , expecting a delivery(BT Home Hub) ...no one showed.When I contacted ParcelForce and was told it had been delivered and signed for but they would ask the driver what happened . Now get this , according to the driver he knocked on our door but didn't get a reply but when he was walking back to his van a neighbour directed him to a car that had pulled up and was told that the woman getting out of the car was living at our address so he approached her , she apparently took the parcel and signed for it .

I have asked my neighbours if they know anything but have drawn a blank , ParcelForce have investigated and consider this to be an acceptable delivery as no signature was required and they are within their rights to leave the parcel somewhere safe/hidden or with a neighbour .

I'm now waiting to see if BT find ParcelForces delivery method acceptable , if they do I suppose they'll expect me to pay for it . As far as I'm concerned its been stolen .

Edited by citizenB

Hi Rich ,

Having the same problem myself , expecting a delivery(BT Home Hub) ...no one showed.When I contacted ParcelForce and was told it had been delivered and signed for but they would ask the driver what happened . Now get this , according to the driver he knocked on our door but didn't get a reply but when he was walking back to his van a neighbour directed him to a car that had pulled up and was told that the woman getting out of the car was living at our address so he approached her , she apparently took the parcel and signed for it .

I have asked my neighbours if they know anything but have drawn a blank , ParcelForce have investigated and consider this to be an acceptable delivery as no signature was required and they are within their rights to leave the parcel somewhere safe/hidden or with a neighbour .

I'm now waiting to see if BT find ParcelForces delivery method acceptable , if they do I suppose they'll expect me to pay for it . As far as I'm concerned its been stolen .

Edited by citizenB

Hi greendollar,

Sorry to hear about your encounter with parcel FARCE. It's an absolute joke, I shall avoid buying something that will be shipped with them again! How could they possibly trust just any random person on the street in this day and age? Surely in your circusmstance, some kind of ID should have been required? Im my case, I'd imagine the driver went to the wrong address, asked if the person was Mr. Cooper, and he's said yes, but if they're not delivering the parcel to someones door, surely they need to see ID?

I also cannot believe that some people would just steal someone elses mail! For all they know, it could be absolutely worthless/useless to them. There's no way to tell for sure what is in a package! It's so annoying, and low!

I hope whoever has signed for my parcel is found out and gets in trouble, though I honestly doubt it, despite it being a criminal offence to interfere with mail (theft through misrepresentation).

I hope your case is resolved soon, please do let me know how it goes!

Mitch

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Thanks Mitch ,

It does seem a bit strange , as you say the woman that signed for the parcel wouldn't have a clue what was in it . According to PF they can tell via GPS that it was signed for in our road at the stated time but I'm dubious of the delivery drivers claim that he knocked on the door , the wife was in and we have a jack russel that goes beserk if anyone has the audacity to walk up the path let alone knock on the door .

I was also under the impression that items had to be signed for but this isn't so unless specifically stated by the sender . BT have opted to send £100 worth of electrical gear that didn't require a signature , not that it matters as some random woman has supposedly signed for it anyway .

This is the second time a delivery was supposed to been made that has not turned up and I will be extremely wary of purchasing products that require courier services in future /

As for PF I expect you'll get the same reply as me , we've got a signature job done now go away .

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Hi

I hope you have raised this with the ebay seller as it is his/her responsibility for the delivery. They will have to take it up with the Post Office as the contract is with them, not you.

You may have to raise a dispute with ebay as well

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I imagine I will get the same reply, if any at all! From my experience with these companies "we'll get back to you" is never a good response! They seem to make up their own rules on what is required of them, I've read many complaints where people were told that as long as a signature was aquired, that's their duty done.

It is strange though that BT sent such valuable equipment with no signature required, I would really push at them to send you a replacement, and let them chase parcelforce to get their money back!

Hi silverfox,

I have notified the ebay seller, but didn't find it fair to raise a dispute over it, as it isn't their fault. I thought I'd try and raise the issue with parcelforce first, hoping they could get it sorted without going down the route of raising a dispute. I do however understand that it is their responsibility, so if I get nowhere with Parcelfarce, I shall be forced to raise a dispute and leave it to the ebay to get their money/item back, as it seems more likely, from what I've read, that they will get further with parcelforce than I will.

It is the sellers responsibility to either get the goods delivered to you OR refund you. If the seller doesn't do either you will have to raise a dispute to protect your money. The seller can use the courts (if needed) to get compensation

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

From what I can gather the most likely outcome will be that I will have to sign a declaration that I haven't received the package and a replacement will be sent out . Thats if BT don't agree with PFs opinion that it has been 'delivered' by their standards . I'll be miffed if BT agree that handing over the goods to a woman pulling up in a car outside my residents was a good idea but if that has happened I do have some sympathy with the delivery driver as he's been duped by a opportunist thief .

And as Silverfox points out its the senders responsibility to ensure the goods are delivered to you .

Edited by greendollar

Hi Rich ,

ParcelForce have investigated and consider this to be an acceptable delivery as no signature was required and they are within their rights to leave the parcel somewhere safe/hidden or with a neighbour .

I know about these items from when I had mine delivered. The agreement is that if your not home the item can be delivered to a neighbour or left in a "secure location" (i.e in a wendy house / sandpit / whatever) however they're supposed to note this on a card which I assume you didn't receive. In any case, this didn't happen as delivery to the woman getting out of the car is neither. Go back to the depot and state this because whoever told you this is way off.

Definitely get in touch with BT though as if the item cannot be located they will have to claim.

Edited by gaff4972
Spelling error

There is no point using ebays dispute system, if the tracking shows delivered they will close the dispute, and find in the sellers favour. That means that the seller really has no interest in dealing with the problem, as long as Parcelfarce have a signature for the seller to wave at ebay/ painpal, job done.

• 1 month later...

My dads having the same problem a mobile phone was being returned to him by royal mail who said they delivered it to him and got my dads signature but strange thing was he and my mum who are the only occupants of the house were in the middle of the ocean when it was delivered but the signature is not my parents just a squiggle. Royal mail say they are happy it was delivered - how can this be right?

Hi hope you get this sorted. Parcelforce delivered a parcel to me last week. It was 730 am and very sleepily i answered the door and signed. It was only later when i come to open it that i realised it wasnt mine as i had not ordered a mobile phone. On looking at the address is was almost similar....I returned it to the rightful owner who obviously were greatful.

Is there a similar address to you that it could have been delivered to?

Hope you get it sorted out!

Hi hope you get this sorted. Parcelforce delivered a parcel to me last week. It was 730 am and very sleepily i answered the door and signed. It was only later when i come to open it that i realised it wasnt mine as i had not ordered a mobile phone. On looking at the address is was almost similar....I returned it to the rightful owner who obviously were greatful.

Is there a similar address to you that it could have been delivered to?

Hope you get it sorted out!

We have been arguing with royal mail over this but they said that the parcel was delivered to my dads address and a signature was obtained but on the day they delivered my mum and (the only occupants of the house) were in the middle of the Med on a cruise. We asked that if the parcel was left with a neighbour then why no card but they said no card was needed as it was delivered to their address and a signature was obtained but again and again I put it to them that my parents were not home, no card left and the signature they have is neither of my parents. Royal mail are saying the case is closed now which is so frustrating they are just not listening, my dad rung trading standards and has been told he could go to the police but he's just giving up I'd really like to sort this out for him but do not know what else to do, any ideas?

• 9 months later...

Hi all.

Well i am having the exact same problem ,but with Interparcel.

I was not in and this delivery man signed my name and just left the parcel on my doorstep for all the world to see,and it was totally ruined by the rain.

I would like to know if there is any way i can bring criminal charges of forgery against this driver.

Also there must be some sort of due care for other peoples property.

All i have had so far from the company is platitudes, and not one word about addressing the problems stated above.

I would love to hear from any one that could enlighten me ,and all the other good people on here, with the same problem. as to where we stand on the law.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

One of my wonderful neighbors signed for not one but two signed for parcels yesterday, postie left me a card stating they were there so i went to pick them up, "sorry, nothing left here for you, haven't seen the postman" checked the POD online only to find the said neighbour had signed her own name! and yet still denies everything! one i can claim back through Ebay/Paypal, the other is a one off 100 year old school register that is irreplacable, I'm absolutely gutted, needless to say, the police are on their way, not holding much hope tho.

Just spoke to the police.. They can't help..

Edited by vrspc

You could well do without neighbours like that.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I had an item sent signed for a few years ago. It was signed for, signature illegible but not mine, no printed name. RM said it was delivered, it was only a £4 CD not worth the hassle. Royal Mail do need a signature and printed name and time for 'signed for' and 'Special Delivery' (formerly recorded/registered) items - failure on any of these should be enough to get compensation. If you get no joy, try going to the regulator Ofcom, or go direct to the head of the company (currently Moya Green, Unilever House, 100 Embankment, London EC4). Regulator should deal with other delivery companies as well. Do tell Royal Mail they cannot leave items with neighbours. This used to be a serious conduct issue for staff, the address must be tried, and the item returned if no one answers (or approaches on the street and is able to enter the property). Not any longer, unless you tell them otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my wonderful neighbors signed for not one but two signed for parcels yesterday, postie left me a card stating they were there so i went to pick them up, "sorry, nothing left here for you, haven't seen the postman" checked the POD online only to find the said neighbour had signed her own name! and yet still denies everything! one i can claim back through Ebay/Paypal, the other is a one off 100 year old school register that is irreplacable, I'm absolutely gutted, needless to say, the police are on their way, not holding much hope tho.

Just spoke to the police.. They can't help..

I'm amazed the police have said they can't do anything when you quite clearly have proof that your neighbour has stolen your property like that. You have a card saying things were delivered there and your neighbours signature and yet they wont assist? I'd be getting down the station and demanding something be done. This is a criminal theft plain and simple.