Council tax error caused refund- now they want it back!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3255 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I moved out of Cherwell District Council and they closed my account and sent me a refund. I queried this refund and was told it was correct and therefore it was issued to me. One month later after moving they sent me a bill for the refunded amount. I spoke with them and was told they made a mistake, and was told to write in. I wrote in detailing events and received a letter back now admitting there was a mistake and my bill was calculated incorrectly. Even though the refund was issued after me checking they say I must pay them and if I don't asap recovery action will be taken incuring costs! I have a disability and live on Incapacity benefit and DLA, I spent the refund moving house so I do not have it now. Can they legally ask for it back? Thanks

I know for a fact that they cannot claim back a benefit if they make an "official mistake" so the same could apply to council tax, however being a tax makes it debatable. I guess there is nothing stopping you offering to pay it make at £5 a month due to financial hardship and you do not have send them an Income and Expenditure sheet as only a judge can request that.

Best cause of action is to ask a CAB office for advice as the council may have made an "official mistake".

Thanks Surfer01, yes that's what I understood about benefits... but yes as it's a tax I think it may be different. It's so annoying as I thought I'd paid it all and then they do that... even when I checked they said no it's right we owe you! It's just causing me more financial problems now. Yes CAB next on list and I have taken it up with my MP. Thanks for your feedback.

Although it is a benefit mistake really as they took my council tax benefit into consideration for the whole year which is what caused the problem. So maybe I can argue that... we'll see.