Caught shoplifting. Questions about RLP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm a poor student and I was caught stealing bed linen and a t shirt from Primark. The security guards caught me as I was walking out the shop and said they had CCTV footage of me doing it. I admit that and I know I was stupid to shoplift.

Anyway, they took my name, home address and mobile telephone number down and let me go after what felt like a long time. They said they would pass me onto the RLP (retail loss prevention) and I would receive a fine via post.

My questions are these:

What does the letter look like
that I will receive in the post. I ask this because I do not want my parents to find out I have a letter from the RLP. Does the envelope have the address on the outside? or the logo? or any indication it's from the RLP?

Is there a
time limit
as to when I have to pay the fine? I don't live at the address it will be posted to so it may take longer for me to receive the letter.

Can I phone them and
stop them sending letters
to that address and deal with them over the phone? Or
change the address
that they send the letters to?

most importantly is the first question and I'm hoping someone who has received a letter from them can answer for sure.

thanks in advance.

Hi MB

Welcome to CAG

The first thing to say is the security guard has given you the wrong information, the letter you might receive is not a 'fine' but a speculative 'invoice'.

It might be an idea if you read the CAB reports on RLP.

What does the letter look like
that I will receive in the post. I ask this because I do not want my parents to find out I have a letter from the RLP. Does the envelope have the address on the outside? or the logo? or any indication it's from the RLP?

I'm fairly sure the envelope has the RLP logo on the outside.

Is there a
time limit
as to when I have to pay the fine? I don't live at the address it will be posted to so it may take longer for me to receive the letter.

It's not a 'fine', it a speculative 'invoice', probably without a breakdown of their costs. The general advice is don't speak to them over the phone, they normally send quite a few letters, it might be an idea to respond once, there are examples on this site to the sort of letter you should write.

Can I phone them and
stop them sending letters
to that address and deal with them over the phone? Or
change the address
that they send the letters to?

Don't speak to them over the phone, but when you write to them, you could give them your current address.

most importantly is the first question and I'm hoping someone who has received a letter from them can answer for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MB

What you have received is a 'speculative invoice', with no breakdown of charges, no other docs relating to the matter. They will continue to send letters, after the second letter send a response, you'll find template letter in the 'stickies'. They'll send further letters, that should be the end of the matter. Don't let them bully you. To date they haven't taken anyone to court.

• 1 month later...