Dell Laptop faulty - issued summons - **WON** they coughed fully 1 day short of deadline'

Ash1646
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening All,

I have an issue with Dell and am looking for a bit of advice....Not too sure where I stand.

Dell Latitude Z600 still within the 3 year Next business Day Warranty.

Had an issue with the power socket, where the power supply intermittently stopped charging.

After 5, yes 5 visits, I have been prvded with a new power supply, which is incorrect. A meesage on the laptop flashes up saying that the charger is the incorrect power configuration.

Dell have been for the last month trying to obtain the correct power supply, but it's always out of stock.

I had a look at some Dell forums, and although Dell assure me that the continued use of this power supply is not damaging the laptop, the forums tell a different story.

As Dell aren't able to supply me with the correct power supply, under the next business day warranty, within a reasonable period of time, am I able to reject goods and demand my money back? (We are talking about a laptop that cost over £2k.)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a further development with this, and was wondering if someone cold answer a question for me please.

Dell have now given up trying to supply a power supply for the laptop, and have suggested a swap.

They have offered me a laptop that costs £678.00. Now my laptop cost over £2k. I have queried this disparity, and have received the following response;

When specking up replacement systems we would look at the original systems spec rather than cost as its normally a “like for like” replacement. With technology advancing as rapidly as it does the cost of components when you purchased your system will most likely be different today. I did check though and got the price to be more around £899. Was it the normal XPS you looked at by any chance?

The replacement system does have more memory, a larger HDD ( although not solid state ) , better graphics & PROC.

How would you like to proceed?

Dell are unable to supply me an exact like for like unit. (I have a Dell Z600, ultra slim laptop, and they no longer have anything quite like this anymore.

What is being offered is thicker, smaller, and cheaper.

Do I have an argument for rejecting this, and request a credit to the value of the original purchase?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just to keep interested parties involved, I've gone down the road of rejection of replacement offers, and rejection of original laptop based upon the following reason;

9 attempted service callouts to rectify the problem, which after three months is still present, which is in breach of the next business day warranty.

Rejection of replacement offers, as over 60% of the original specification of the laptop is not being accounted for.

Only sent the letter to Dell this morning, so will keep you all updated if interested.

Hi Rebel,

Many thanks for this. Number 10 in your signature looks like a very good read, will give it a good going over once I've finished work today.

I used my own version of rejection letter for Dell, which I kept short and to the point, and basically consisted of:

They had a reasonable amount of time and visits to attempt repairs. A separate sheet was enclosed to provide the timeline for the events that have taken place.

They had offered to swap the laptop out on a like for like specification but detailed on a separate sheet how the offers, at most consisted of about 20% like for like, and I rebuffed their argument on processor upgrade by quoting Moores Law.

A simple notice of rejection quoting SOGA, and refund request.

Requesting that they respond within 7 days.

I purchased the machine 2 and a half years ago, with a 3 Year Next Business Day Warranty.

How long ago, I hear you cry!

The problem that they have, is that they are no longer able to supply the correct REQUIRED accessory for the unit (Mains Adaptor); What they want me to do is to turn of the warning notifications on the BIOS settings, so that the alert no longer comes up!

The essential fact is, that they are unable to perform to the extended warranty provided, or support a product that they manufacture after 2 1/2 years.

I realise that there may be an element of recision to be taken into account, due to the age of the machine, but that really doesnt concern me too much, as this will have to take into account the initial cost of the system.

Thanks for the info. I have a friend of mine looking for the head of EMEA in Dell, so that I can go directly to the person who can make the decision.

Will keep the thread updated, in an effort to keep all information open and available to other users.

as an aside...

if you want to keep and run the laptop, we used other generic power supplies and we run the lower wattage ones too, that give the bios warning that the psu is not enough power to properly power the lappy.

we have never had a failure.

+2500 laptops on a very large educational est some 850+ of this or other like dells that produce the same 'issue'

we just turn off the bios warning.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Afternoon All.

I have some updates for anyone that is still following my fight with Dell.

First of all to DX100uk. Thanks for the information, but the actual fault is with both the motherboard as well as with the incorrect power supply.

I have been having a conversation with a customer service representative at Dell, since January, and have managed to glean the following information in writing:

Dell are no longer willing to come out to me and repair the PC.

Dell have a policy of replacing the laptop on a like for like basis. (Where a specification is not available, they offer the next available upgraded component.) However the like for like PC with the same specification is over £3000.00, and Dell are refusing to offer this as a replacement, because, in their own words, 'it would cost us too much to do'!

Dell have offered a partial refund, saying that my PC has devalued by £25.00 per day.

I have refused all of this, and have today issued a summons to Dell, for a full refund plus interest, inconvenience, and costs. (Total £4230.00) (I had a solicitor friend of mine who owed me a favour, and he drafted the paperwork for me, based on inherent fault, not fit for purpose (SOGA).

We shall see where we go from here...All fun and games.

Bought a MacBook Air, so am no longer using the Dell unit, hence the reason why I've stepped it up a notch now.

Will post a copy of the summons on the site.

• 2 months later...

Success.

Issued summons to Dell, for the full amount, and they contacted me within 5 days. Initially they offered me £2300.00, as a partial refund, but stuck to my guns, and said see you in court.

With 24 hours left to file a defence, they contacted me a again, and offered to settle immediately.

The irony to all of this is that they settled back in May, and I still have the laptop! They haven't bothered to collect it, even though I've reminded them a number of times.

Never take no for an answer, and if not satisfied call their bluff.