Natwest PPI - help with PPI basic understanding

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I was not properly aware of bank charges and PPI refunds.

My interest starts recently when my credit rating suffered due to my husband's ill financial management

and currently have a default on a joined account which i am looking to resolve in all possible ways (having a complaint sent to the bank at the same time).

However as my husband did not manage his accounts properly he has a record of bank charges and PPI from the same bank,

which i read that if amount greater than outstanding amount - the bank will have to lift the default.

So there are two accounts i have looked at so far - one NW current account and one NW credit card account. both have charges/PPI for about 700 and about 300 in interest so in total just over 2k. Outstanding debt in region of 1.4k so in theory might work.

I would like to know the following:

PPI was sold to my husband when opening the credit card and was applied monthly from feb 02 to may 05.

Is that too far in time to claim?

I am relatively certain my husband was lead to believe that if he does not take the PPI his credit card application will not be successful.

I am confused by the explanation on the PPI so does it matter that he was self employed at the time

and that he is not a british national?

Indefinate leave to remain was only granted in 2006

- is that what is refered to as permanent residence?

Can he submit a single claim combining the charges from the bank account and the credit card account PPI and charges ?

I understand that some PPI is claimed in court but the way i understand it is that a letter is sent first

and then depending on the responce from the bank a further action is taken.

Is my understanding correct?

Bank account charges have started before i have joined the account

- in theory he should be the main claimant to submit claims for the whole duration of the bank account.

If i have a scanned copy of the bank statements, do i need to request SAR or could he go directly to NW with a letter?

Thank you for your help. I realise the questions are quite basic, but feel confused by the amount of information available and the complexity of some situations.

bank charges are mainly out the window unless its a hardship claim or p'haps our bcobs campagn might help?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=84

as for the credit card charges

and the two PPI's

see my sig.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you dx,

I have been going through various posts, including the ones in your signature, but I have yet to find the answers to the queries raised.

The hardship one is another mystery to me. It appears to refer to charges made during time of hardship. I can confirm that my husband is hardly making ends meet as he has an IVA arrangement and i suspect he has failed the payments on that as the joined account is labled 'defaulted'. But does that mean that old bank charges can be claimed or only recent ones?

The other queries still remain - especially the ones giving right to claim for PPI. I.e. non-british nationality, self-employment and time of PPI taken.

I am just confused by the listed conditions and not certain if these are helping or not with the application.

Thank you once again.

no.3. is the one for credit card ppi

treat the bank account ppi the same

as for if ppi was missold, its matters not as such, put in a claim

you need to fill in one of these for each ppi claim as well as you can.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

might an idea to have a read of a few other ppi threads to and get yourself up to speed

there is no rush,

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...