Insurance blunder - help please

WeeRascal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My car insurance company recently agreed a settlement amount with me for my car, which was set on fire a few months ago. The vehicle has major interior damage but the exterior is still perfect. I wasn't 100% happy with their first offer, but they agreed to let me have the car (with all documents) so that I may sell parts or maybe sell on complete.

During their investigation, they asked me to send my Registration document, all keys and the Service book. Today, they have informed me that they have LOST everything.

A garage is interested in buying the car, but wants the Reg document and keys. But DVLA won't issue one because it has been VIC marked. And I can't get a VIC because it is not drive-able.

Looks like I have 3 options

1. Re-negotiate for cash, rather than the car (because they are unable to fulfil the agreed settlement)

2. Pay to have it transported for VIC, pay for VIC and pay for a new V5 issue, pay for new locks. Sell the car.

3. Ask the insurance company to arrange all of No.2, since it is their fault. Sell the car.

What would you do?

Incidentally, the car in its current condition is now only worth about £700

Thanks in advance

1, good idea, they should pay you what they would get from a salvage dealer. You may get a smaller amoutn for this.

2, they should be liable for new keys , the V5 may have had to be destroyed regarldess due to DVLA rules, not sure how the service history can be assessed, but I doubt that has any monitary value when the cars being bought as a known right off. I can't see why they should have to pay for the VIC test though.

They will probably do no. 2