Currys don't want to replace my camera. ****Resolved****

pugilist
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening dear caggers!

Day before yesterday I bought a photo camera Olympus D-720(14 mega pixels, 10 optical zoom) from Currys. Yesterday I tested how it works and found that the quality of pictures is worse than the quality of those made with my old Samsung camera(10.1 mega pixels). The image is not really bad, but it is definetely not that clear, I can distinguish the differrence.

I was very unhapy about that, that's why I packed everything back and visited Currys today. I told them that I want to exchange it for a Cannon camera, which is 50 pounds more expensive. I was eager to make additional payment and have a more expensive product, but they refused to do so. They told me that they can't help me because the product was opened by me and this goes against their policy.

Well, I can't say that the camera is faulty, but I am dissappointed with the quality of images it can produce. I asked them to let me speak to a senior manager, but they told me that I can meet him only on friday.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me advice how to behave while talking to him on friday. I want to come ready for that conversation.

Hi pug

Have a read of 10 and12 in my signature. If the camera isn't taking pictures of the quailty that they say it should, then it's not fit for purpose. Hit them with SOGA. If they still don't want to help then, depending on how you paid, ask your card provider if you can do a Chargeback.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

Good evening dear caggers!

Day before yesterday I bought a photo camera Olympus D-720(14 mega pixels, 10 optical zoom) from Currys. Yesterday I tested how it works and found that the quality of pictures is worse than the quality of those made with my old Samsung camera(10.1 mega pixels). The image is not really bad, but it is definetely not that clear, I can distinguish the differrence.

I was very unhapy about that, that's why I packed everything back and visited Currys today. I told them that I want to exchange it for a Cannon camera, which is 50 pounds more expensive. I was eager to make additional payment and have a more expensive product, but they refused to do so. They told me that they can't help me because the product was opened by me and this goes against their policy.

Well, I can't say that the camera is faulty, but I am dissappointed with the quality of images it can produce. I asked them to let me speak to a senior manager, but they told me that I can meet him only on friday.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me advice how to behave while talking to him on friday. I want to come ready for that conversation.

This sounds like the Olympus camera that I bought for my daughter earlier this year..... cack picture quality and worse than her old one. I exchanged mine a few months after purchase on the grounds that it was faulty (yellow tint in all pictures and so on) and had no problems doing so. It's all in the wording..... and you certainly can say it is faulty because it is. I would never buy another Olympus camera ever again!

Hi pug

Have a read of 10 and12 in my signature. If the camera isn't taking pictures of the quailty that they say it should, then it's not fit for purpose. Hit them with SOGA. If they still don't want to help then, depending on how you paid, ask your card provider if you can do a Chargeback.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

Thank you very much rebel, I'll study attentively ur links.

This sounds like the Olympus camera that I bought for my daughter earlier this year..... cack picture quality and worse than her old one. I exchanged mine a few months after purchase on the grounds that it was faulty (yellow tint in all pictures and so on) and had no problems doing so. It's all in the wording..... and you certainly can say it is faulty because it is. I would never buy another Olympus camera ever again!

That's a good idea! I can't understand why it didn't cross my mind earlier this morning.. I think ur way is simple and very effective. Thanks a lot.

Rebel,

now I've got a plan. SOGA is very helpful!

Now I know what I'll tell the manager on friday.

I'll tell him that according to Sale of Goods Act he must replace this product or make a full refund, because the camera is faulty. The faultiness is as follows: the red tint in all pictures and the images are all blurred. That means that the product is not of satisfactory quality. If needed I'll explaine him what 'satisfactory quality' means - Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety. 'The blured image in all pictures' mean that the camera is not free from minor defects. Low quality of pictures is a defect. Thus the camera is faulty. And according to their policy they should refund or exchange the product.

I think I didn't miss anything. What do you recon?

PS:

Do u think it'd be good idea to record everything with a dictaphone? What if an in unlikely event the manager will refuse to exchange the camera and I'll threaten to file a complain against him(but to whom?).

Rebel,

I'll tell him that according to Sale of Goods Act he must replace this product or make a full refund, because the camera is faulty. The faultiness is as follows: the red tint in all pictures and the images are all blurred. That means that the product is not of satisfactory quality. If needed I'll explaine him what 'satisfactory quality' means - Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety. 'The blured image in all pictures' mean that the camera is not free from minor defects. Low quality of pictures is a defect. Thus the camera is faulty. And according to their policy they should refund or exchange the product.

PS:

Do u think it'd be good idea to record everything with a dictaphone? What if an in unlikely event the manager will refuse to exchange the camera and I'll threaten to file a complain against him(but to whom?).

Sounds good to me..... although if he behaves like The Grinch, it'll make no odds whether you have a dictaphone or not, you'll still need to send a written complaint up to Head Office. Hope it doesn't come to that..... Go get 'em!! :-)

Sounds good to me..... although if he behaves like The Grinch, it'll make no odds whether you have a dictaphone or not, you'll still need to send a written complaint up to Head Office. Hope it doesn't come to that..... Go get 'em!! :-)

:lol:

Thanks Priority. Let's wait untill it's friday and if that guy is The Grinch I'll start composing a complaint letter.

• Haha 1

Rebel,

PS:

I think it would be pretty stupid to record the conversation or to threaten him. At the end of the day he/she is just doing his job that he/she is paid to do. Secondly if you were to be caught using your dictaphone somehow then they would be in their rights to ban you from entering their store ever again. Like a few people have mentioned hit them with SOGA. I would personally write to the head office complaints team if you decide to go that route as the store probably wont have the authority to make the decision when it comes to SOGA. Good luch anyway :)

I'm going to give credit where it is due - Currys gave me excellent service today - in this exact scenario

Bought my daughter a fuji L55 as a xmas gift - my own fault i bought it without giving it a once over - used to own a fujifilm years ago and assumed it was going to be as good/better - needless to say it wasnt - v poor quality indeed.

after a bit of fiddling and understanding why the images were so poor i got it to work acceptibly - but the camera has no speaker for audio playback on video files - so pretty pointless as a camera for a kid.

ANYWAY - i was expecting a blunt 'no' from the staff (it had been used for 3 days and wasn't 'as new') - long story short Currys Coney Street York were great about it - i was honest - they were more than fair and i left with a higher quality replacement after 15 minutes

So credit where it's due - there are examples of poor service that everyone highlights - here is an example to balance it out.

I'll admit its a real shame it's not always like this when there's a problem.

Keep up the pressure!

Hi guys!

Today I was at Curry's, and they exchanged me the camera for Cannon.

Buut, it was not that easy as I thought. At Customer service a nice old lady asked me what happened and I described the situation. She said that she need one guy from their stuff to check if the camera faulty or not, he was a kind of expert. She gave the camera to him and he cheked hoew it worked. He admitted that the images were not clear, and that he would never ever buy an Olympus photo camera 'coz he knew that you can't expect a better quality from Olympus. BUT, the camera workes, and he told the lady it does work. She said sorry, added that she was not my enemy and told me to hold on a minute while she was talking to someone about my case. I said ok and saw her coming to the guys who had refused me to exchange the camera during my previous visit. After a brief chat with them she came back and with a face full of sorrow she started telling me something like "unfortunately, we can't ...bla bla bla..... coz the camera works...bla bla bla.. really sorry..etc" and so on and so forth. I listened to her very attentively , and when she finished I told her that actually she could do what I asked her and it was not against their policy. I brought up my list with SOGA quotes and tried to explaine why I was thinking that way. She looked a bit perplexed, asked me to hold on a moment and moved off for another chat with the same group of people. After around 5 minutes she came back with some guy from their stuff and told me smth like "we don't do like this but we gonna help you as a jesture of good will etc.. but next time never ever bring it back and bla bla bla..".

Finally, they made me a refund, i added 40 pounds more and purchased a Cannon camera. When I was off the store I found these words on the receipt(see the circled ones on the picture):

90c64d217d97.jpg

They made it look like the camera was not even extracted from the box. I'm sure they will exhibit it for sale again for a more naive customer to buy. :)