Tom Tom repairs misleading on warrenty

AnnoyedAJ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I was mighty annoyed by a recent situation with Tom Tom customer service / repair centre over my faulty Tom Tom.

I read in the news today that Apple have been fined in Italy over something that sounds very familiar to my experience with Tom Tom

and I'm wondering if there is anyway of flagging it up to any relevant authorities - if we have any...

Apple was recently fined almost .5million euros for 'failing to adequately inform consumers about the two-year guarantee.'..

I received a Tom Tom device for my Xmas present in December 2010,

ordered on 15th November 2010.

I logged the problem on the 16th Nov 2011

(I didn't know the date it was bought at the time or would have made sure I'd done it the day before, but that's by-the-by).

My father, who bought it, didn't even receive the Tom Tom in the post until the 22nd Nov

(got the Tom Tom delivery slip - it came from them direct from their Amsterdam centre).

So I had an argument with them that it wasn't even in our possession for a year before it broke.

I was asked by the repair center of the date the unit was bought and proof of purchase,

which was provided

- they then told me categorically (via email) that it was out of warranty as it was over a year since we bought it that I logged the problem (by one day)

and that I've have to pay £82 to fix it

(price was variable but that was the guide price).

Which considering it was a refurb by father bought, and that it cost £87 when new....makes it all a bad deal.

I replied saying that it was pretty shoddy service when taking into account the points above and that they had put me in the position of having to buy another Sat Nav (not a Tom Tom!).

My father belatedly managed to dig out of the Tom Tom website a legal document stating that there is a two year warranty on all Tom Tom devices.

I naturally then emailed across this document to the same woman, asking her why if this document was correct was I to be charged for a repair?

A reply came back saying,

Thank you for sending us that document and that they would fix the Tom Tom free of charge.

No explanation, no apology, and as this was the Tom Tom repair centre

- the main point of contact for all repairs

- they MUST know that the units are in warranty so why are they telling people they are not and trying to charge them?

It naturally made me very angry.

I'd already bought another Sat Nav and got screwed around and had no adequate explanation or apology.

I feel that it's a stitch-up and it looks very similar to the Apple case.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable

- please let me know if you agree.

Is there anything I can do about it?

I have all the email copies.

I had a look at the ombudsman - but couldn't see that there was one that covered Sat Navs?

Thanks, Sophie:x

firstly

warranty means NOTHING!!

and is EXTRA above your rights under SOGA

and [as it was brought on-line? the DSR rules.

so they should not have rejected the repair in the first place

how you go about things now is a bit grey

never dealt with a punter buying another unit first

before exhusting the sellers complaint proceedure first

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...